BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the options list for the E60 5 series it clearly states that the Active Cruise Control will only be available with automatic transmission.

Does this mean it will not be offered on the M5? Or maybe only on the SMG version?

·
Registered
200 Posts
If I remember correctly, it will be available later this year with manual and SMG transmissions.

And SMG-type transmission will be available for 530 and 545 later this year also.

·
Registered
968 Posts
A simplified version of SMG, not the real deal, but still a manual.

·
Registered
19 Posts
SMG for 545i

-MVI- said:
And SMG-type transmission will be available for 530 and 545 later this year also.
-MVI-,

Over at another e60 forum, someone from BMWNA said that there is no plan for a SMG on 545i yet. May be because the current SMG is for I-6 engines, not for the V8. Did you get the SMG on 545i information from your dealer? Thanks.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Re: SMG for 545i

litster said:
-MVI-,

Over at another e60 forum, someone from BMWNA said that there is no plan for a SMG on 545i yet. May be because the current SMG is for I-6 engines, not for the V8. Did you get the SMG on 545i information from your dealer? Thanks.
It was in an options price list, wich I don't have with me right now.
I don't remember exactly, it could have been for 525 and 530, I'll have to check...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Re: Re: SMG for 545i

-MVI- said:
It was in an options price list, wich I don't have with me right now.
I don't remember exactly, it could have been for 525 and 530, I'll have to check...
There has been very little information on the 545i, in Europe or in the US. No picture or option list for the 545i yet. I am considering a new M5 if SMG is not available on the 545i.

Is this the same options list you saw:

http://www.bmwnation.com/news/2003/030606_a.html

This one is for the UK and there is no mention of SMG. Just listed automatic gearbox as an option.

-MVI-, if you could check your options price list, that would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
200 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Actvive Cruise Control, Automatic transmission from 06/03->, Manual transmission from 09/03->
Availability: 520i: No ; 525i, 530i/d, 545i: Yes

Sequential Gearbox (SMG), from 09/03->
Availability: 520i, 525i, 530d: No ; 530i, 545i: Yes

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for posting the information, -MVI-.

It is good to hear that SMG will be available on 545i in Finland. I guess we will have to wait for the official US options list here. Thanks again.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Ashok

Active cruise control should not be high on the list for those who love to drive. It must be very intruding.:blink:

·
Registered
968 Posts
Pamilih said:
Active cruise control should not be high on the list for those who love to drive. It must be very intruding.:blink:
A very Mercedes-type feature, introduced BY Mercedes-Benz for those big fat rich blokes (not you) who find it too tiring placing their foot on the throttle/brakes.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree that cruise control is not a sporty feature but on a long highway drive covering hundreds of miles it makes a big difference.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Just drove the new 530 with active cruise control today.

Works very nice but can be a little terrifying in some situations.

For example: when i drove the 530d ( 500 nm ) and set the cruise at 70 km/h, it kept a good distance to the car in front all the time.
When the car slowed down - so did my car also. When I changed lane it quickly accelerated up to speed and closed up quickly on the car in the left lane. Almost to quick I thought and hit the brakes. The car had 6 speed automatic and had a very good low end pull.
:eek:h:

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is very odd.

I was browsing the UK M5 brochure where it shows Active Cruise Control as an option...

Does anyone have a definitive answer as to whether this is available or not for the M5??

·
Registered
816 Posts
Well, I'm not sure if this helps. The M6 press relesase says "BMW Cruise Control" will be available as an option but it doesn't use the word "Active". This is a bit confusing because it also says this is "already available on the BMW 6 series" but the 645Ci actually uses Active Cruise Control.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Gustav said:
It will not be available, it os not for M Drivers BMW M says.
That's crazy. I drive my M5 everyday. If I am on a long trip and want to set the cruise for 65 (maybe a bit higher :)), this option wil be very helpful in keeping me legal and keep me from having to fool with resetting the cruise after braking for a slower car or truck. Similar to SMG, I'll put SMG in auto mode for the majority of the "transportation" driving I do that is more function than fun. Shifting manually through many gears to get to 45 MPH only to stop at the next light is just not that entertaining. Let the car shift during these "boring" times.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts