BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you go to Active's web site they claim that their ecu for X5m/X6m delivers an increase of 86rwp and 117lbs of torque, for $1500. I've never seen such large gains. Other ecu companys claim about 50hp increase.. Any comments. Thanks

·
Registered
280 Posts
If you go to Active's web site they claim that their ecu for X5m/X6m delivers an increase of 86rwp and 117lbs of torque, for $1500. I've never seen such large gains. Other ecu companys claim about 50hp increase.. Any comments. Thanks

I talked to racing dynamics and they said the factory turbos max out at 65hp. IT would be nice to see side by side dyno graph. I think i am waiting for dinan safer, no dealer grief. Wont be cheap, dinan will probably have air cleaner, software. I hope. Would be great to see turbo/ intercooler upgrade and 700hp from dinan.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I'd love to see that much gain from software alone on the X5M. As you mentioned, most other tuners quote about 50whp gains.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the ESS tune for my X5M. It was done by IND and I am very happy. I am also concerned/confused at the vast range in claims made by tuners about the HP gains for the X5M. I posted this on xoutpost.com and have not received an answer.
Here are both dynos from Active (top graph and chart) and ESS (bottom graph). I know it is hard to compare data from different dynos. Is there someone out there who can help interpret this data. To me (someone with almost zero knowledge of dynos) it appears that there is not much of an overall horsepower gain at the top end. But looks the all of Active's gains come around 4000 RPM. Thoughts?

M

Attachments

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
IMO, a gain that produces that much power in the midrange is worth a lot more than a numerical gain only in the upper band. Although tuners can absolutely tailor these tunes to gaining 50whp at the end of the power band, how useful is that power for an X5M? By increasing the torque and power in the useful RPM range actually produces a better driving experience, and produces more gains in the "butt-dyno." Judging from the AA and ESS dyno charts, they did their job at putting out a tune where the gains will be enjoyed 100% of the time, and not only when you push the car to redline.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Just to add, look at those graph and imagine yourself behind the wheel as your car goes through that RPM range. Imagine driving the car with a tune versus not a with a tune. Judging from the graphs alone, you will be able to feel an instant gain in power as soon as you step on the gas (doesn't have to be pushing the car). The feedback with either tune is an instant improvement.

·
Registered
9 Posts
With the ESS tune, the increase in power at the mid-range is perfect. It has made it even more drivable. The concern that I was stating is how they claim their horsepower. If ESS say that they have a gain of 50hp (since I do not have a chart for ESS I do not know where they are stating there gain is from) but they are measuring from max HP (stock) to max HP (tuned). Then AA states an 86hp gain but they are picking the RPM that produces the biggest gain. How do you really compare these two claims.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
With the ESS tune, the increase in power at the mid-range is perfect. It has made it even more drivable. The concern that I was stating is how they claim their horsepower. If ESS say that they have a gain of 50hp (since I do not have a chart for ESS I do not know where they are stating there gain is from) but they are measuring from max HP (stock) to max HP (tuned). Then AA states an 86hp gain but they are picking the RPM that produces the biggest gain. How do you really compare these two claims.
Thats a very good point. From the business standpoint, it seems advantageous for them to posting the highest gain at a particular RPM rather than the little/no gain at peak RPM. Moreover, it may also be that in tuning the X5M, there actually aren't any gains to be made in the upper band. So why publish/advertise their tunes at "+10whp gains" when, in their eyes, the real gains are in the midrange. They probably would gain no business. What they should really publish (not sure if they are doing it now or not) is to state something like "gained 50whp @ xxxx RPM."

You can't really compare the 2 if they are not quoting max HP. All you can do really is examine the dyno charts they provide, view dynos done by members (I'm not sure if X5M members dyno their cars). Customer service could also play a part in which tuner to go with, as support is almost equally as important as the claimed gains.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I still don't understand why the AA produces so much more power!!
If you look at this dyno chart:

It shows a peak HP gain of 17whp.

However, at 4400 RPM, it gains 91whp.

Same with the ESS dyno chart:

It shows a peak HP gain of less than 20whp.

However, at the 4000 RPM range, it gains almost 80whp.

Based on those 2 dynos, I really wouldn't consider AA to make 'so much more power' than ESS. The discrepancies in the numbers mean nothing, since you can't compare the 2 graphs since there are so many variables to consider. Also to consider, no 2 cars are equal. You can't really compare these numbers/graphs since they were not done at the same dyno, with the same vehicle, with same atmospheric conditions.

With that being said, IMO, they produce the same power based on the 2 dyno charts provided.

Taking numbers out of the equation, if you just compare those 2 graphs, and overlap them, there is nothing about the AA graph that would indicate that it makes any more or less power than the ESS tune. They both look very similar in gains from stock.

I am not knocking any product. They both are equally good products and it really comes down to preference. They both put down good gains, but IMO does not seem like one produces any more than the other (again, based on the dyno charts provided).

·
Registered
495 Posts
We tuned the new X5M and X6M to improve power in the low to mid powerband as it was already tuned for high RPM HP from the factory. The balance of power delivery with our tune makes for a much better driving expierence. This software is also available with our new end user OBD direct flash unit making it possible for customers to install their own software and switch maps when needed. This will be a great option for customers wanting to flash the car to stock for trips to the dealer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought the ESS tune thru IND. The overall drivability of the car is fantastic. There is a significant increase in power right smack in the mid of the power band. Keep the tranny in “D” and the “M” button off and it is docile enough for my mom to drive (of course, when she drove it she was doing 75 in a 30 mph). <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Put it in sport and hit the “M” button and it is downright nasty. There is just something inherently wrong with a +5000lbs truck this fast that makes it so right.<o:p></o:p>
The customer service from both ESS and IND are unmatched. You cannot go wrong with either.<o:p></o:p>
M<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Nice chartm thanks for that.

It seems that the twein turbo V8s are very easy to tune. Some real world info from a Hartge BMW 555i XDrive 4WD indeed shows nice results: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/f1...cidair-550ix-sport-package-2.html#post1940782

I have the ESS tune for my X5M. It was done by IND and I am very happy. I am also concerned/confused at the vast range in claims made by tuners about the HP gains for the X5M. I posted this on xoutpost.com and have not received an answer.
Here are both dynos from Active (top graph and chart) and ESS (bottom graph). I know it is hard to compare data from different dynos. Is there someone out there who can help interpret this data. To me (someone with almost zero knowledge of dynos) it appears that there is not much of an overall horsepower gain at the top end. But looks the all of Active's gains come around 4000 RPM. Thoughts?

M

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Great to hear! Congrats.

I would look forard for a video or pic from the ESS X5M :) [email protected]

I bought the ESS tune thru IND. The overall drivability of the car is fantastic. There is a significant increase in power right smack in the mid of the power band. Keep the tranny in “D” and the “M” button off and it is docile enough for my mom to drive (of course, when she drove it she was doing 75 in a 30 mph). <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Put it in sport and hit the “M” button and it is downright nasty. There is just something inherently wrong with a +5000lbs truck this fast that makes it so right.<o:p></o:p>
The customer service from both ESS and IND are unmatched. You cannot go wrong with either.<o:p></o:p>
M<o:p></o:p>

1 - 18 of 18 Posts