BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next Week, my M5 is going to the dealer for them to activate the eyebrow lights. They've told me that the update will take 4 hours. I'm guessing that they are going to update the whole cars software. Will this update the idrive to the one shown below!

Thanks,
Jordan!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yup. I had the same problem (no eyebrow lights) and the dealer updated the software. Now the eyebrow lights work, and I have a much more recent version of the iDrive system. One small problem is the now the voice control button does not work, but I don't use it anyway.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yup. I had the same problem (no eyebrow lights) and the dealer updated the software. Now the eyebrow lights work, and I have a much more recent version of the iDrive system. One small problem is the now the voice control button does not work, but I don't use it anyway.
Seems dealer forgot to activate SES by using FSC disc. Typical after recoding CCC!

·
2,217 Posts
Seems dealer forgot to activate SES by using FSC disc. Typical after recoding CCC!
:dunno:

=====================================================

I think the update is for the DRL. On my car the eyebrows do not turn on with the DRL's. They wanted to fix it, but I said no because I liked having just the halos on.

Pimposh, are you a BMW engineer? I don't know what language you are talking.. haha - But can I have my dealer turn off the eyebrows with the DRL so it's like my 08 M5 w/o the update, how only the angel eyes turn on with DRL ?

- avlnch

·
Registered
88 Posts
:dunno:

=====================================================

I think the update is for the DRL. On my car the eyebrows do not turn on with the DRL's. They wanted to fix it, but I said no because I liked having just the halos on.

Pimposh, are you a BMW engineer? I don't know what language you are talking.. haha - But can I have my dealer turn off the eyebrows with the DRL so it's like my 08 M5 w/o the update, how only the angel eyes turn on with DRL ?

- avlnch
Sorry for late answer, litte been busy lately. I'm little bit confused with your question. Eyebrow are irrelevant to any software update to car - it's just a coding feature of light module. They could be enabled or disabled. Enabled means they lit along with angel eyes in A position when DRL is enabled or with xenon when DRL is disabled. If you're not satisfactory with answer, pm.

·
2,217 Posts
So then with my next car, I can have the dealer disable the eyebrows when the DRLs are on. That is what I want, and what I have now.. no eyebrows with DRL only.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Who or where can program the angel eyes to not go to 3v when the headlights are on? Not that i'm looking to blind people just that it makes it very hard for aftermarket parts, i right now have another wiring harness with a relay just to avoid the drop from 12v to 3v. wish i could change a setting and remove the harness.

·
Registered
88 Posts
So then with my next car, I can have the dealer disable the eyebrows when the DRLs are on. That is what I want, and what I have now.. no eyebrows with DRL only.
Dealer by official way could not do it as eyebrows are part of DRL. But it could be very easily done via proper coding of light module with help of someone who's familiar with bmw electronics. Ask Duram @ Bavariantechnic.com if such coding could be done by this tool.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Next Week, my M5 is going to the dealer for them to activate the eyebrow lights. They've told me that the update will take 4 hours. I'm guessing that they are going to update the whole cars software. Will this update the idrive to the one shown below!

Thanks,
Jordan!

The eyebrows on my 06 don't come on at all. My car is out of bmw warranty but I bought a 3rd party plan. anyone know how much it costs to have the eyebrows activated.:confused3

·
Registered
312 Posts
The eyebrows on my 06 don't come on at all. My car is out of bmw warranty but I bought a 3rd party plan. anyone know how much it costs to have the eyebrows activated.:confused3
Mine was doing the same. Dealer updated the whole iDrive software and I got the grey screen above and the eyebrow. It sat overnight for programming (6-8 hours). You want to make sure the dealer charges a flat fee that can be covered by your 3rd party warranty.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Mine was doing the same. Dealer updated the whole iDrive software and I got the grey screen above and the eyebrow. It sat overnight for programming (6-8 hours). You want to make sure the dealer charges a flat fee that can be covered by your 3rd party warranty.

My warranty excludes headlights, bulbs and such. Doesn't mention software updates (First time I ever heard that you had to have software to turn on some lights) Was this an oversight from the last dealer that worked on the car forgetting to reactivate them?

·
Registered
431 Posts
I think the story is this: one of the earlier software updates caused the eyebrow lights to stop working. A later software update fixed the problem. I don't know if software updates are always free or not. I suspect when the car is out of warranty you have to pay for the technician's time to do the update.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts