BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anybody know if any company have cloned the ACS Splitters? I cannot justify spending $700 plus for two bits of plastic or over a $1,000 in carbon, direct from ACS in Dubai, just to have them painted over in Forest Green. Seems a crazy price to me.
p.s.Sorry Daniel;)
WillM5AD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
foxyboym5 said:
try these guys, theyre constantly developing new bits & pieces, maybe able to do something custom, who knows...

http://www.e6designs.com/e39.php

and a UK based one:

http://www.ca-automotive.co.uk/carbon-fibre-e39.shtml

cheers
foxy
Thanks foxy but I dont want to buy carbon fibre here in Abu Dhabi the kerbs are about a foot high and I anticipate that they may not last long and I would have to buy a couple of sets. I wondered if anybody made cheaper material plastic/rubber or whatever at some normal price?
WillM5AD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,638 Posts
If you have high kerbs then do you really want front splitters?

I mean look at these things, great in some places but a nightmare if you have lots of speedhumps or high kerbs:



Better to leave the car stock than to install some cheap plastic imitation piece of kit that's going to get damaged in any event.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ashok Arora said:
If you have high kerbs then do you really want front splitters?

I mean look at these things, great in some places but a nightmare if you have lots of speedhumps or high kerbs:




Better to leave the car stock than to install some cheap plastic imitation piece of kit that's going to get damaged in any event.
Good point Ash but they do look awesome dont they?
WillM5AD
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
willm5ad said:
Anybody know if any company have cloned the ACS Splitters? I cannot justify spending $700 plus for two bits of plastic or over a $1,000 in carbon, direct from ACS in Dubai, just to have them painted over in Forest Green. Seems a crazy price to me.
p.s.Sorry Daniel;)
WillM5AD
Not much available as far as quality alternatives for less money. If something was available we would be selling it in addition to the AC Schnitzer item. They are expensive, but their fitment is great, it is almost impossible to break them (they only get scratched on the bottom side if you touch something), and they look well integrated.

Cheers, Daniel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BeastPower said:
Not much available as far as quality alternatives for less money. If something was available we would be selling it in addition to the AC Schnitzer item. They are expensive, but their fitment is great, it is almost impossible to break them (they only get scratched on the bottom side if you touch something), and they look well integrated.

Cheers, Daniel.
I agree, what are yours made of? The $1,000 price is for carbon fiber direct from ACS or Quartermile in Dubai, mabye you should try and replicate them? I am sure you would sell plenty at a reasonable price Daniel.
WillM5AD
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
willm5ad said:
I agree, what are yours made of? The $1,000 price is for carbon fiber direct from ACS or Quartermile in Dubai, mabye you should try and replicate them? I am sure you would sell plenty at a reasonable price Daniel.
WillM5AD
We don't currently offer an alternative to the standard ACS items. $1,000 for an original ACS CF version seems reasonable. Do you have any photos?

Cheers, Daniel.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
386 Posts
I agree it seems too pricey for me....
Im having some custom made for me...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
Will,

I'm in the same boat as you, I love the look of the ACS splitters but can't justify the price.
I have a guy here in Toronto that makes great aerodynamic pieces using CF or resin. He offered me resin Hamman splitters for $150 and Hamman fog light holders with intake for $80. I thought about the Hamman's but I don't really like the look. I asked him to make the ACS, he has no problem making them as long as I can provide the originals to be copied.
Anyone out there (Daniel) interested in providing the originals and thus securing a well priced alternative?
The same guy also developed a very nice chin spoiler for the M5, he was waiting for 5 confirmed orders before producing it.

Cheers,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,638 Posts
Surely there are some copyright issues involved here
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
Surely there are some copyright issues involved here
Bingo! Some fabricators claim that as long as you change 15% of the item it is not considered a copy, but this is debatable.

Cheers, Daniel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
stanm5 said:
Will,

I'm in the same boat as you, I love the look of the ACS splitters but can't justify the price.
I have a guy here in Toronto that makes great aerodynamic pieces using CF or resin. He offered me resin Hamman splitters for $150 and Hamman fog light holders with intake for $80. I thought about the Hamman's but I don't really like the look. I asked him to make the ACS, he has no problem making them as long as I can provide the originals to be copied.
Anyone out there (Daniel) interested in providing the originals and thus securing a well priced alternative?
The same guy also developed a very nice chin spoiler for the M5, he was waiting for 5 confirmed orders before producing it.

Cheers,
Hey Stan,

How are you doing? Do you have any pics of this M5 chin spoiler? It may help him in getting some confirmed orders...

rgds

Was!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
Whizzkid11 said:
Hey Stan,

How are you doing? Do you have any pics of this M5 chin spoiler? It may help him in getting some confirmed orders...

rgds

Was!
Hi Was,
Doing great here, how are things in London? Did you attend Sunday's meet?
I have a pic of the chin spoiler on the fabricators car, I'll try and post it.
Cheers,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
Here are a couple of better pics of the ACS Splitters, on the same car as above but when it was cleaner... :M5thumbs:





Definitely good quality and blend in really nicely - especially if you have the rear roof spoiler....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,638 Posts
Pics not working Was... by the way I wonder who's car it is?!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
Yeah, I want the ACS splitters too, but I always start clutching my wallet when thinking about them...my understanding was that when you purchase the splitters, you also get the ACS grille...another reason for the high price? This is what someone told me...

Anyway, there are usually knockoffs for about $150 on ebay...anyone know how those are?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
Copyright infringement is only if the respected mfgr copyrighted their pics, logos, etc. Some do, some dont. If they patented the parts they can try to sue would be copiers. Daniel is correct 15% change, wheels it would be a center cap, bumpers would be a vent added or deleted. Lots of copies from Taiwan, some factories dont recognize or give rats azz about international patents / trademarks. Go over there and visit factories, im suprised they dont copy human beings yet.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top