BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to start a thread on this but I've been looking now for over an hour and am over it.

Has anyone done this or can anyone point me in the direction of a DIY on this topic? I recently purchased some splitters and prior to having them installed I would like to attempt this myself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I hate to start a thread on this but I've been looking now for over an hour and am over it.

Has anyone done this or can anyone point me in the direction of a DIY on this topic? I recently purchased some splitters and prior to having them installed I would like to attempt this myself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated....
It is as easy as it looks. Remove double side tape, and apply the splitter onto the car. Then, screw from the inside of the bumper. That's it. Good luck ;)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL, Well these are reps with no tape but that's exactly what I was thinking. I more or less was looking for tips as far as what type of screws, etc.. (I assume self tapping of some sort) At any rate, thank you for answering. Just didn't want to drill through the bumper & screw things up from jump.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
LOL, Well these are reps with no tape but that's exactly what I was thinking. I more or less was looking for tips as far as what type of screws, etc.. (I assume self tapping of some sort) At any rate, thank you for answering. Just didn't want to drill through the bumper & screw things up from jump.
Ah yeah I recommend getting some 3M tape from your local hardware store, with the red backing tape. You may need additional hands for this, but push the splitter firmly onto the bumper. Then from the bumper end, screw in self-tap screws. You may need to drill some small pilot holes first in the event your splitters are not pre-drilled.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will do.

Last week I did my UHP LED Angel Eye headlights; easy. (My car is 2000 so this was an upgrade).

Changed to a Shadow Grill last night, now these. Hope it looks good. I've had the car almost 3 years, just trying to do a little at a time on a budget.

Wheels next hopefully because mine are just beat up. They were chipping when I got it. Just a $$$ thing.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I took my entire bumper off an flipped it over for the install. I used 3M tape+ self taping screws(5 each side)to secure it on.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, That's a done deal. Easy to do.

I also took the entire bumper off, Loctite tape, and self tapping screws. I Will post some pics (iPhone) after the weekend when I have more time to upload. All in all, an easy mod for DIY guys. Also added a new mesh grill.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
OK, That's a done deal. Easy to do.

I also took the entire bumper off, Loctite tape, and self tapping screws. I Will post some pics (iPhone) after the weekend when I have more time to upload. All in all, an easy mod for DIY guys. Also added a new mesh grill.
Glad it worked out smoothly for ya. Looking forward to those pics ;)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
OK, so first of all, taking the bumper off is as easy as everyone says. Since this was my first time taking the bumper off it took me a minute to find the T50 bolts, only because I was looking in the wrong place. Once I had the inner fenders out I assumed they'd be up inside the car. After taking a second look I realized they are below the kidneys and above the mesh grill...on the outside. This may be stated in a DIY somewhere but whatever post I looked at did not specify. Once found....Bada Bing!

With the bumper off the mesh grill was replaced. This is pretty self explanatory once you are able to see the backside. There are clips for the headlight washer hoses (which need to be transfered to the new mesh) and circular fasteners that keep the mesh in place fixated to tabs. Othe than that it just fits in place.

Then next was the splitters. I'm not a big baller like most on this board so I had to go with reps as opposed to actual ACS. Overall the quality appears to be pretty good, time will tell but for the price, easily replaced. Anyway....I used a Loctite tape rated @ 100lbs. per roll (2 rolls w/ left over) and 10 self tapping screws, washers, and locking washers. That's it.

Fitment is good though not perfect....no complaints from me.

Excuse the paint chips and such....car is a daily driver at the moment.

Hopefully Wednesday my buddy can paint the roof and partially my mirrors.

(Thanks AtlantaM5 for inspiration on tasteful mods) ....Just remember, "Imitation is the Sincerest Form of Flattery."

*** GOTTA THANK MY FRIEND FLACO FOR THE EXTRA HAND!!!! LOVE YA MAN! ***

Attachments

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Thanks! :) As my buddy Flaco said, it gives it some "Rearview mirror attitude!" Overall I'm very happy with the purchases and outcome. I didn't have to break myself (or the bank) to get a good look. Two weeks ago the front end was stock, no Angels no nothing.....

I absolutely love the E39! I can't imagine not having this car....

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Looks nice! I'm thinking about adding these to mine next month and have been wondering about fitment and look of the cf reps. They look great!

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Nice work! I just recently placed my splitters on this past weekend..easy thing to do with a couple screws and double-sided tape! I screwed mine in from underneath in case one of em breaks badly and I have to take them off - this way holes won't show. I'm sure you screwed yours in from an angle to do the same? I used five screws, those puppies aren't going anywhere!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts