BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,
I recently had a discussion with a guy who has a business that specializes in making composite parts, carbon fiber parts and has done some acrylic "see-through" parts for Ferrari race cars. I asked him if it would be feasible to make a clear see through plenum cover for the M5 sedan. He went over some ideas with me but basically told me that using actual acrylic would not be a good idea. He said that within a short period of time the acrylic material would sag due to the heat exposure, since it doesn't have a high temp. rating. He also said the acrylic easily scratchs and just isn't pracital for under the hood use. He did has that it is the clearest of all the plastic and is actually clearer than glass. He said acrylic has the clarity of liquid water, which is a higher level of clarity than glass. He told me that there's another type of see through plastic which he considers to be the second best choice when it comes to clarity. He could work with this other type of plastic to make the see through plenum cover. My guy needs a plenum cover to inspect to determine just how much work would go into this type of job. I don't have an extra plenum cover. So my question is would you guys be interested in a clear plenum cover for our car's? Last, does anyone have an extra cover that they can let me borrow, so I can show this guy what the part looks like, and he can calculate the time and cost od making such an item.
Thanks.
Robert
PS For those located in the east coast region, this is who I contacted & spoke with, STEALTH COMPOSITES, INC. Ask for John Dice. 1-215-919-7584 or 215-387-9105.
He does work on Ferrari race cars and other exotics.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Guys,
After doing some additional research, I've come up with a really good souce that can make such a product. I contacted a company known as INDUSTRIALPOLYMERS.COM and I spoke with David Boddie. He is very knowledgable with acrylics. He think the clear plenum cover can be done in acrylic, since the temp. under the hood doesn't go beyond 300 degrees F. He is under the impression that the stock OEM plenum cover is a ABS type of plastic, and if this is true, he stated that the acrylic would withstand the heat from the engine of our car's. His suggestion as that either the original OEM plenum cover needs to be tooled/molded in order to create a clear plenum cover or another idea was to use the stock plenum cover and simply modifying the cover so there is a clear window on the top of the plenum cover, making it easier to create. He said that the stock plenum cover would have to be vaccum formed and then the acrylic part would overlay ontop of the stock cover. He stated that use using a silicone type sealer the acrylic top could be attached and molded to the rest of the OEM plenum cover. His idea of cutting off the top portion of the plenum cover and affixing a clear cover is an alternative to creating the entire plenum cover. Creating a clear plenum cover seemd doable but these guys are in Texas. David's work number is 1-800-766-3832. He also recommended a company that does excellent vaccum forming, called, THERMO MOLD. Theya re also located in Texas. Barry is the person to speak to, when calling Thermo Mold. There telephone number is 1-713-944-6336.

So who wants to take the bull by the horns and take over this and MAKE IT HAPPEN! The fact that these companies are in Texas makes it unpractical for my involvement. I know we have a few Texas members, maybe one will stepup to the plate??? Your thoughts, comments please.
Thanks.
Robert

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Renn,
Your just the man to take over what I've started. I did the initial leg work for you, and your located in Texas right? He (the second guy) told me it can be done by using ACRYLIC !
Robert
Can you confirm the material of the OEM plenum cover, is it make from ABS? If yes, then the temp. rating for ABS and acrylic are just about the same. If the ABS can withstand the heat, he said the acrylic will have ZERO issues/problems. Let me know.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Robert,

im still trying to understand this whole thing...you want a fully see throgh upper plenum? Is that right? I know that Shadowman has the enlarged CF/lexan style but it does come at a high price because of the inlay of lexan in it.

Well i wish i could help you out on the construction of the upper plenum but since my car is still gone, i dont know for sure. I would believe that it is made from wrinkle coated ABS plastic.

So where in the dallas area are these guys? you gave a 713 area code...

·
Registered
107 Posts
No offence meant guys, but unless this has some sort of performance component that I'm missing, it smells of rice to me.

Best of luck with it though. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts