BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new E60 M5 will have a much bigger production run than the previous E39 M5. Does anyone think this will combat insane dealer mark ups? IMO SoCalif dealerships are notorious for this.

Curious to anyones thoughts?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Gorilla Beast said:
The new E60 M5 will have a much bigger production run than the previous E39 M5. Does anyone think this will combat insane dealer mark ups? IMO SoCalif dealerships are notorious for this.

Curious to anyones thoughts?
It is not just your opinion, it is fact. The souther california dealerships are notorious for markups on the hot cars. But not just hot cars, I was at a local dealership 2 months ago and they had 5K markup on the window of a 545i. Whether they get it or not I don't know I was just there for service. But I guarantee when the M5 hits the showrooms, there will be huge markups for the first 6 months to 1 year (at least here in California).

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
If your local dealer marks up the price, can you just not get the car from somewhere else (e.g. out of state) and pay less?

It's not uncommon for people here in Europe to buy cars from different countries and ship them home. I am one of them - I buy my cars from Belgium.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
If your local dealer marks up the price, can you just not get the car from somewhere else (e.g. out of state) and pay less?

It's not uncommon for people here in Europe to buy cars from different countries and ship them home. I am one of them - I buy my cars from Belgium.
Yes, I live in Southern California where they mark up just about any car where they think there might be demand. I have not bought a high end or should I say hard to get car in California in 6 or 7 years. I buy them from out of state dealers and have them shipped to California. For somewhere around 600 to 800 dollars you can get a car shipped anywhere in the US. I am just not willing to play the dealer markup game.

Here is an example of dealer markups for those of you that live elsewhere:

Crevier BMW in Santa Ana, California

In 2000 - M5 +25,000.00
In 2000 - 540i +5,000.00
In 2003 - M5 +10,000.00
In 2004 - E60 545i +7,000.00 to 10,000.00
In 2004 645i - +10,000.00
In 2004 645i convertible - +15,000.00

Buy the way I am not picking on Crevier, that is just where I get my BMW's serviceD, so I see what they show on the window sticker of the cars as I walk through the dealer showroom.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
no kidding, even dealers in the DC area try that crap. Fairfax BMW tried it on me with a 03 Carbon Black M5... told them to shove it. They were so sure that there was no way I would get a M5 without the markup. So, I made sure to roll by in mine, which I got under sticker.

I just don't play that game. If the dealers started getting stuck with the cars, they would stop the markup game.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
..and I thought I was getting it rough when I only got 8% off sticker when I bought my M5 ouich

1 - 7 of 7 Posts