BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

"Acceptable" oil consumption

40K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  bmwdirtracer 
#1 ·
Hi all-

I know we've beaten oil to death around here. But I'm curious what "we" (aka you) are getting told. I tried looking at different oil threads to no avail.

What is an acceptable amount of oil consumption?

I'm going in for service and I don't know the answer. I believe my oil consumption (well, my car's at least) is excessive. I can't tell if its the sensor or some other issue.

In the BMW M/C world anyone doing a quart every thousand has a problem (past 2500 miles). The bikes are known to eat some at the start of the relationship, but they do "dry up" over time. My 12GS consumes very little. I haven't yet hit 4,000 miles and I've been through 5 jugs in the M5. One right before VANOS, one shortly after 1200 mile (maybe they didn't hit it perfect), then one by one, three more. The last two times I was at 0.8 and it jumped to -0.4. Each time I added, I hit 0.8 and that is where I stand today. I must say, I don't think the motor has been overly "babied". Now, I do live in a city, and there is much idling... But even so...

WL

See less See more
#3 ·
I have heard BMW thinks that 800 - 1000 miles per litre is acceptable, but not to me. I don't know of any other car manufacturer that thinks under 1000 miles per litre is acceptable. I'd be upset if my car used this much on a continuous basis while the mileage was under 75000 miles. On older cars, some increased use is normal. I know the company line about the performance causing oil consumption. Other cars with performance and/or V10+ engines don't have this problem. It is all spin.

#4 ·
Difficult to say what acceptable is. My car, like clockwork, is using 0.1L per 700 miles. Hit 2800 miles, and it dropped a tenth. Now that might increase a bit after the magical 3100 mile restrictions are lifted by this weekend, but I'm hoping not by much. To date, I've been driving reasonably aggressively, within the defined parameters. I have a post-Vanos issue build.

#5 ·
BMW says that 1L /500 miles is cause for investigation. I get about 700-800 miles /liter. I drive 20 miles to work each day and the car sees red-line on multiple occurances each day. Even mix of stop/go and 80mph freeway. Like the fuel mileage, I've gotten used to it.

My E39 was similar until 25K miles.

#8 · (Edited)
I've got about 13,000 miles on the car, and over the last 8,000 or so miles, the consumption has been a very steady 1L per 2,000 - 2,500 miles. The consumption definitely depends on how much time you spend with your foot to the floor. After some hard sessions with the car of less than a hundred miles, it's typical for me to see a .1-.2L decrease. On the other hand, I can rack up 300 easy miles on the freeway and not see a drop at all.

#11 ·
Someone please delete this thread...................This subject has been discussed at least 5 Gazzilion Times.....OK another Gazzilion times...it depends the way you drive it, the way it was put together, the climate in which you live...let me see oh ya, what you had for dinner the night before......YOU figure it out.

#13 ·
All of which complaining about oil posts (jk). :byebye:

#16 ·
Well, here's my two cents. Being a "newbie" to the M5 ownership, (have had mine three weeks now), I cant really say what's "normal" yet but the first thing I do to a new to me vehicle is change the fluids. The guy I bought the car from had a service history record two inches thick but I changed all anyhow. As I saw the oil my suspicions were confirmed that it was time. I do not know whether or not that was due to my adding the AMSOIL product Engine and Transmission Flush or not. AMSOIL claims it helps loosen sticky valves and rings, cleans deposits in oil cooler and ports, helps reduce oil consumption and quiets lifter noise. It does this by dissolving and dispersing sludge, varnish and deposits formed by operating engines and transmissions. (It claims it does all this by dumping the product into the crank case and letting it idle for 15 minutes, I suppose it's a really heavy duty detergent). So far I've had good results with it. If that product is unavailable or you have an aversion you could try the manufacturer BG product MOA. It's claims are the same as the AMSOIL with the difference being you dump it in and leave it in until your next oil change. Drawback is one can treats four to five quarts. Who knows, you may have gummed up whatever causing your consumption. Try either and it's a $10 gamble, if it works great, if not it's something else. (BTW, I do not work for AMSOIL nor BG, just happen to like their products)

AND: <!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) -->unfoundhorsepower<!-- google_ad_section_end -->, who cares about how many posts about oil there have been and there will most likely be that many more. If you don't like the question why bother clicking on it and then posting hostility? If you feel that frustrated why don't you jump in the sack with your partner and be sure to take with you your favorite brand of oil. (flavored, unflavored, whatever you desire I'm sure is available)

#22 · (Edited)
My impression is that the S85 is more prone to drinking oil at cold startup in cold weather. I made a 1000-mile trip and the oil gauge never moved. I did an oil change when I got the M5 home and it did not appear to consume any oil during the warmish late-fall months. Over the winter, with mostly short drives (7 miles, give or take) and temps in the 20-40F range, the gauge indicated that I had to add a quart about 2500 miles after the oil change. Now the weather has warmed up and the oil level has seemed to stay pretty consistent. I always keep it under 3000rpm and use very light throttle until the oil temp gauge is most of the way to the 210 mark. I'm running M1 0W40.

This is, of course, based on one winter of ownership and one OCI, so it's hardly a long-term scientific observation.

#24 ·
From what I've read, yes. Originally it was 10W60 only, and it later got modified to include 0W40 and even 5W30.

#26 ·
New owner here. Bought mine 3 months ago with 76,100 miles, base lined it (oil change, spark plugs, filters, diff, trans, brakes, tires, etc). Exclusively drove it around town and some highway short trips (under 100 miles), oil gauge never moved in 2500 miles. Then last week I took it on a long road trip to NC (500 miles), again, oil gauge never moved. Then on my way home I noticed after my first fuel stop it was 2 ticks lower, the temp was much lower so I thought maybe it was just an error. After about 350 miles into my trip I saw it was lower again, then about 40 miles from home it popped up on the HUD "Oil level at minimum level!" and the computer told me to add 1 liter. I stopped immediately and put 1 liter in, then the level was back to between the 2 arrows.

3500 miles since my oil change and it did 1 liter, I'm not worried about that at all. The thing that was weird was how quick it dropped. Has anyone else experienced a rapid drop like that? Or is it just that it probably didn't accurately portray the level and I slowly burned up 1 liter in 3500 miles?

#27 ·
Here's the actual BMW Service Bulletin for oil consumption, which I've posted in the E34 M5 forum. You'll see that BMW considers 2.5 quarts every 1000 miles to be okay, on an M car.: (I don't)

SI B11 03 13
Engine August 2013
Technical Service This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B11 03 13dated May 2013.
[NEW] designates changes to this revision
SUBJECT
Engine Oil Consumption MODEL
All INFORMATION
All engines normally consume a certain amount of engine oil. This is necessary in order to properly lubricate the cylinder walls, pistons, piston rings, valves and turbocharger(s), if equipped. [NEW] In addition, engines with less than 6,000 miles will generally consume additional engine oil because the internal engine components are not fully seated (break-in). Therefore engine oil consumption analysis should be performed after this break in period.
Once a new or remanufactured engine has accumulated 6,000 miles, oil consumption can be considered if there is a drastic change in the engine oil consumption rate (e.g., the engine oil consumption rate triples) under similar driving conditions.
Engines equipped with a turbocharger(s) will consume more engine oil than normally aspirated engines (non-turbocharged). The additional oil that is consumed in a turbocharged engine is mainly due to the turbocharger lubrication requirements. Some of the engine oil normally migrates past the turbocharger turbine bearing seals and will enter the intake tract of the engine. All turbocharged engines also require a complex crankcase ventilation system. The crankcase ventilation system needs to maintain a small vacuum on the crankcase and not allow the crankcase to be pressurized.
Pressurizing the engine crankcase can lead to external engine oil leaks and increased engine oil consumption via the piston rings and valve seals. When the load and the boost level of a turbocharged engine is varied, the path of the crankcase pressure is changed. During the crankcase ventilation path transition, a small amount of engine oil will pass through the crankcase ventilation system and is additionally consumed. The additional engine oil consumption of a turbocharged engine, as compared to a normally aspirated engine, is normal and not a defect.
OIL CONSUMPTION SPECIFICATION
All BMW engines (excluding Motorsport) can consume up to 1 quart of engine oil per 750 miles at any time.
Due to the increased engine power, all Motorsport engines can consume up to 2.5 quarts of engine oil per 1,000 miles at any time.
DIAGNOSTIC HINTS
When an oil consumption complaint is received, it may be possible to correct it without performing extensive engine repairs. Check the following frequent causes of excessive oil consumption prior to undertaking any engine consumption analysis or repairs. Submit a PuMA case for assistance. Proper Maintenance
Has the vehicle received proper maintenance? Certain external conditions (mainly city driving style and/or high engine loads; poor fuel quality; and extreme ambient temperatures), combined with excessively long oil service intervals, may accelerate engine oil degradation, which may cause premature wear of the engine components. Continuous city driving (stop-and-go traffic); fuels with high olefin content; sulfur and certain aromatic fractions; and very high ambient temperatures are the most influential factors causing premature oil aging and consecutive engine mechanical deterioration.
External Leakage
The engine should be leak-free before starting any engine oil consumption analysis.
Overfilling
If the oil level is too high, oil in the crankcase will be thrown against the cylinder walls and consumed. Check the dipstick markings or electronic measurement (as equipped) to be sure of accuracy. The oil level must not be higher than the upper mark.
Engine Oil Viscosity/Quality
The use of oil with the wrong viscosity rating for operating conditions can cause high oil consumption. Check the Owner's Manual to determine the proper viscosity for prevailing conditions.
Engine Speed and Load
If vehicle operating conditions are severe, oil consumption will be higher than normal. Extreme load or continuous high engine speed will result in increased oil consumption.
Crankcase Ventilation
The crankcase ventilation systems use various different crankcase ventilation valves, depending on the engine type. Although the valves all look different, they function similarly, using a spring and diaphragm assembly to control the crankcase pressure. A properly functioning pressure control valve is designed to maintain a slight vacuum (under-pressure) in the crankcase, which assures reliable crankcase venting during all engine operating conditions. One of the results of a malfunctioning crankcase ventilation system can be increased engine oil consumption. Refer to SI B11 03 08 for measuring specifications and procedures.
Turbocharged Engines
Engines that are fitted with a turbocharger(s) will consume more engine oil than naturally aspirated engines (non-turbocharged engines). In this case, a turbocharged engine could require topping of engine oil more frequently. For vehicles with N63 and N63T engines, refer to SI B11 01 13 for additional details.
[NEW] N63, N63T AND N74 CUSTOMER INFORMATION
Provide the attached brochure to the customer when up topping the engine oil: B110313_Oil_Consumption_Customer_Brochure_07_19_20 13
WARRANTY INFORMATION
Not applicable.

Reactions: ticat928
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.