BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all-

I know we've beaten oil to death around here. But I'm curious what "we" (aka you) are getting told. I tried looking at different oil threads to no avail.

What is an acceptable amount of oil consumption?

I'm going in for service and I don't know the answer. I believe my oil consumption (well, my car's at least) is excessive. I can't tell if its the sensor or some other issue.

In the BMW M/C world anyone doing a quart every thousand has a problem (past 2500 miles). The bikes are known to eat some at the start of the relationship, but they do "dry up" over time. My 12GS consumes very little. I haven't yet hit 4,000 miles and I've been through 5 jugs in the M5. One right before VANOS, one shortly after 1200 mile (maybe they didn't hit it perfect), then one by one, three more. The last two times I was at 0.8 and it jumped to -0.4. Each time I added, I hit 0.8 and that is where I stand today. I must say, I don't think the motor has been overly "babied". Now, I do live in a city, and there is much idling... But even so...

WL

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have 2700 miles on it and had to add .5 qt few hundred miles ago. It is the only topoff since 1200 mle service. I am currently on .6L. PK

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I have heard BMW thinks that 800 - 1000 miles per litre is acceptable, but not to me. I don't know of any other car manufacturer that thinks under 1000 miles per litre is acceptable. I'd be upset if my car used this much on a continuous basis while the mileage was under 75000 miles. On older cars, some increased use is normal. I know the company line about the performance causing oil consumption. Other cars with performance and/or V10+ engines don't have this problem. It is all spin.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Difficult to say what acceptable is. My car, like clockwork, is using 0.1L per 700 miles. Hit 2800 miles, and it dropped a tenth. Now that might increase a bit after the magical 3100 mile restrictions are lifted by this weekend, but I'm hoping not by much. To date, I've been driving reasonably aggressively, within the defined parameters. I have a post-Vanos issue build.

·
Registered
766 Posts
BMW says that 1L /500 miles is cause for investigation. I get about 700-800 miles /liter. I drive 20 miles to work each day and the car sees red-line on multiple occurances each day. Even mix of stop/go and 80mph freeway. Like the fuel mileage, I've gotten used to it.

My E39 was similar until 25K miles.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I am averaging 1L every 700 miles give or take 10%.

Have been told by my dealer this is the acceptable consumption.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I've got about 13,000 miles on the car, and over the last 8,000 or so miles, the consumption has been a very steady 1L per 2,000 - 2,500 miles. The consumption definitely depends on how much time you spend with your foot to the floor. After some hard sessions with the car of less than a hundred miles, it's typical for me to see a .1-.2L decrease. On the other hand, I can rack up 300 easy miles on the freeway and not see a drop at all.

·
Registered
204 Posts
This was also one of my concerns since i got the car about a month ago and I had the E46 M and it burned oil too but not nearly as much. But then that was a 6.. so i figured this is about right. 700 miles is about what im averaging too. Great thread.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Someone please delete this thread...................This subject has been discussed at least 5 Gazzilion Times.....OK another Gazzilion times...it depends the way you drive it, the way it was put together, the climate in which you live...let me see oh ya, what you had for dinner the night before......YOU figure it out.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
HEY, just noticed...7,501 posts...amazing !!!!!!!!!!!:byebye:

·
Registered
1,307 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
UFH is right, so many influencing factors, heat, way you drive, etc etc. Has been done to *****. If it gives you peave of mind though, look at other peoples consumption not bad at all, same for me 1litre every 1000miles ish

·
Banned
47 Posts
The dealer sid its "normal" for a car to use a quart of oil every 300 miles as in my case. Wrote a legal letter to the Head of BMW NA PR and got the engine replaced rether quickly.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Well, here's my two cents. Being a "newbie" to the M5 ownership, (have had mine three weeks now), I cant really say what's "normal" yet but the first thing I do to a new to me vehicle is change the fluids. The guy I bought the car from had a service history record two inches thick but I changed all anyhow. As I saw the oil my suspicions were confirmed that it was time. I do not know whether or not that was due to my adding the AMSOIL product Engine and Transmission Flush or not. AMSOIL claims it helps loosen sticky valves and rings, cleans deposits in oil cooler and ports, helps reduce oil consumption and quiets lifter noise. It does this by dissolving and dispersing sludge, varnish and deposits formed by operating engines and transmissions. (It claims it does all this by dumping the product into the crank case and letting it idle for 15 minutes, I suppose it's a really heavy duty detergent). So far I've had good results with it. If that product is unavailable or you have an aversion you could try the manufacturer BG product MOA. It's claims are the same as the AMSOIL with the difference being you dump it in and leave it in until your next oil change. Drawback is one can treats four to five quarts. Who knows, you may have gummed up whatever causing your consumption. Try either and it's a $10 gamble, if it works great, if not it's something else. (BTW, I do not work for AMSOIL nor BG, just happen to like their products)

AND: <!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) -->unfoundhorsepower<!-- google_ad_section_end -->, who cares about how many posts about oil there have been and there will most likely be that many more. If you don't like the question why bother clicking on it and then posting hostility? If you feel that frustrated why don't you jump in the sack with your partner and be sure to take with you your favorite brand of oil. (flavored, unflavored, whatever you desire I'm sure is available)

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Well, here's my two cents. Being a "newbie" to the M5 ownership, (have had mine three weeks now), I cant really say what's "normal" yet but the first thing I do to a new to me vehicle is change the fluids. The guy I bought the car from had a service history record two inches thick but I changed all anyhow. As I saw the oil my suspicions were confirmed that it was time. I do not know whether or not that was due to my adding the AMSOIL product Engine and Transmission Flush or not. AMSOIL claims it helps loosen sticky valves and rings, cleans deposits in oil cooler and ports, helps reduce oil consumption and quiets lifter noise. It does this by dissolving and dispersing sludge, varnish and deposits formed by operating engines and transmissions. (It claims it does all this by dumping the product into the crank case and letting it idle for 15 minutes, I suppose it's a really heavy duty detergent). So far I've had good results with it. If that product is unavailable or you have an aversion you could try the manufacturer BG product MOA. It's claims are the same as the AMSOIL with the difference being you dump it in and leave it in until your next oil change. Drawback is one can treats four to five quarts. Who knows, you may have gummed up whatever causing your consumption. Try either and it's a $10 gamble, if it works great, if not it's something else. (BTW, I do not work for AMSOIL nor BG, just happen to like their products)

AND: <!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) -->unfoundhorsepower<!-- google_ad_section_end -->, who cares about how many posts about oil there have been and there will most likely be that many more. If you don't like the question why bother clicking on it and then posting hostility? If you feel that frustrated why don't you jump in the sack with your partner and be sure to take with you your favorite brand of oil. (flavored, unflavored, whatever you desire I'm sure is available)

Keep an eye on your VANOS performance. I've helped several people who stuck their VANOS solenoids because the freed up sludge found a happy place and that was in the extremely tight passages of the solenoid cartridge spool.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts