BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Oct 99 M5 (64k miles on the clock-still under BMW UK warranty) is now using oil at the rate of 1 litre per 800 miles. It seems a hell of a lot but the dealer says that there is nothing wrong. What is the acceptable amount of oil usage according to BMW UK? Thanks for any advice.....:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I did my first oil change after 7K miles of driving. The car was down exactly one litre in those 7K miles of driving. I'd say 800 miles is not normal. I certainly wouldn't be happy about that. Have you switched to the 10w60 oil? Wasn't that recommended for 99/00 cars due to the oiling problems? Might burn less with that oil.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It is normal.. BMW limits oil consumption at 2.5 litres / 1000 miles as being normal. My 2000 can suck down a litre in 500 miles if I am running really high RPM's (track driving.)

·
Registered
48 Posts
yeah unfortunatly thats correct mine burns 1 litre for about 1000 miles maybe 500 miles to a litre depending on my driving of course

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
tetherM5 said:
It is normal.. BMW limits oil consumption at 2.5 litres / 1000 miles as being normal.
I'll confirm that is the number I've read on "BMW's Spec"...

Doesn't 'feel' normal, but ...

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
ard said:
I'll confirm that is the number I've read on "BMW's Spec"...

Doesn't 'feel' normal, but ...
My car (4/00 build) burns very little, maybe 1ltr/4000mi in normal use, even in a day of track use I'm barely able to tickle the level on the dipstick.

It's had 10W-60 in it mostly, sometimes 5W-30 when the dealer did the oil service, once Amsoil 20W-50 when I didn't have any of the TWS around.

I feel like such a rarity.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, thanks. i had a good look before i posted.

The Check Engine Oil Level came on immediately i turned the engine off but it went off after the car had been stopped and i checked again in about half an hour.

However, when a rep from BMW emergency service was attending the car for an unrelated issue he checked the oil (after i told him about the above) and dumped another litre in saying it was very low.

·
Registered
767 Posts
My Nov/1999 build burns very little. Proper procedure for checking is important, and I do it twice before filling. I do remember a couple posts from people who took their car to the dealer for excess oil consumption and were told a part had to be replaced (breather or something I think by the oil pan). Anyone else remember this?

At 64K, if your oil consumption is getting worse, then I would say something has developed that needs to be corrected .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts