BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that from a side-by-side dead stop (i.e., a stop-light on city streets) an automatic Toyota Tercel/Honda Accord type vehicle will typically out-accelerate my M5 (assuming I shift at 4500-5000 rpm) at least through first gear and even well into second gear. Once I get my rpms into the 5000 rpm range in 2nd I will catch them. This is just normal driving, not trying to drop the clutch or race or anything, but it can be a little embarassing.

Does this mean I have a problem with my car or is it just the fact of a heavy car vs. a light car? Or am I just a lousy driver?

·
Registered
12,903 Posts
Jaeger said:
I have noticed that from a side-by-side dead stop (i.e., a stop-light on city streets) an automatic Toyota Tercel/Honda Accord type vehicle will typically out-accelerate my M5 (assuming I shift at 4500-5000 rpm) at least through first gear and even well into second gear. Once I get my rpms into the 5000 rpm range in 2nd I will catch them. This is just normal driving, not trying to drop the clutch or race or anything, but it can be a little embarassing.

Does this mean I have a problem with my car or is it just the fact of a heavy car vs. a light car? Or am I just a lousy driver?
Don't know about your driving abilities, but even if you are a moderately good driver, something wrong with the car. The car does 0-60 in high 4 seconds, bad driver should be able to do it in low 5's. I don't think a Tercel can break 10 seconds, an Accord (unless new hybrid) probably just a 7 to 8 second car.
Check MAF's, they have a huge influence on how the car drives. Recent thread explains how to check them using the OBC.

Bad Cam Position Sensor can cause loss of power too.

You should easily be able to spin the tires launching around 1700-1800 rpm DSC off. Is the clutch slipping? Any other drivability problems?
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
I'd say if you're trying, meaning decent throttle and crisp clutch engagements etc., this should not happen. Definitely not in second gear. I'd say there's something wrong with your car. has it been always like this from day one?

Do you have PowerChip? It defintely helps with the throttle response.

CP

·
10,456 Posts
how hard are you really trying? are you in sport mode? I notice in 'non sport' mode, if i'm pulling away from a light with pretty mild/moderate throttle and some yahoo in a toyota thinks he's racing me, he can pull ahead, but it's really up to me when i want that to stop. I usually let them pull ahead wait until i'm in second and say good bye. Had a car load of teenage girls do this to me a couple of months ago, they seemed to like the car (the passenger said it sounded great as i blasted by them) and repeated the episode at 4 or 5 stoplights. The driver was powershifting (revs screaming between shifts) and everything!

when you're not in sport mode, i'll agree low rpm, light throttle is a little sluggish until the revs pick up a bit.
Mike

·
Registered
354 Posts
Jaeger said:
(assuming I shift at 4500-5000 rpm) at least through first gear and even well into second gear.?
You're just not trying hard enough. It is a heavier car and the non-sports mode as others pointed out is for smooth acceleration. Shifting at 4500 rpm won't get you the torques that will propel the heavy beast. It also sounds like you're not using full throttle but if you are, then there's definitely something wrong with the car.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I had experience the same thing. So I took the car out one night on an empty road and gave it FULL throttle. Pedal to the floor. What a difference! Basically, it was me not pushing the car hard enough ouich. It is a violent act, and your head should snap back slightly. Be sure to have DSC off, Sport on and shifting at higher RPMs.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mottati said:
how hard are you really trying? are you in sport mode? I notice in 'non sport' mode, if i'm pulling away from a light with pretty mild/moderate throttle and some yahoo in a toyota thinks he's racing me, he can pull ahead, but it's really up to me when i want that to stop. I usually let them pull ahead wait until i'm in second and say good bye. Had a car load of teenage girls do this to me a couple of months ago, they seemed to like the car (the passenger said it sounded great as i blasted by them) and repeated the episode at 4 or 5 stoplights. The driver was powershifting (revs screaming between shifts) and everything!

when you're not in sport mode, i'll agree low rpm, light throttle is a little sluggish until the revs pick up a bit.
Mike
Thanks Mike, and no, I am not trying at all. Sport button is OFF, I'm just moseying off to work (2 mi. commute) in ordinary traffic so there's no reason to be in a hurry, and I am merely noticing that it occurs. Sure, if I want to go for it I can destroy a Toyota/Honda, but I was wondering if this is normal for "passive driving."

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Jaeger said:
Thanks Mike, and no, I am not trying at all. Sport button is OFF, I'm just moseying off to work (2 mi. commute) in ordinary traffic so there's no reason to be in a hurry, and I am merely noticing that it occurs. Sure, if I want to go for it I can destroy a Toyota/Honda, but I was wondering if this is normal for "passive driving."
I can conjure sceneriors that a Kia can 'beat' an Enzo or a CGT. If it is totally passive driving, it can surely happen.

What threw me was when you origanally said that you were behind way into second gear. Second and fourth are the most 'versatile' gears in the M5. If you're giving any effort at all, you should be able to stay with most cars on the road, and beat at least 80% of them.

CP

·
Registered
977 Posts
What's with all this sport mode hoohaa? All it does is modify the gas pedal potentiometer to give more gas at less pedal pressure, as well as make the pedal more sensitive to input. If you're in non sport mode, just mash the pedal down further and faster then you normally would you'll have the same effect. Sport mode doesn't unleash anything more in the engine, and it doesn't give you anything extra in terms of how far the throttle bodies can open.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts