BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I'd start a build thread to cover the evolution of my M5 over time.

I've been a long time lurker after an unsuccessful attempt to buy an E39 M5 back in 2008. That one-owner car ended up being a piece of junk when I showed up to pick it up so I bailed and chased down other cars for a few years.

Fast forward to May 29, 2014... I'm driving back from Chicago having picked up a pretty nice 2001 E39 M5 in Lemans Blue on All-Black Sport leather and having a blast. The car had 119,5XX miles on it and came with a Shark Injector and an indoor car cover. Recent maintenance included new Continentals at 106k, new Turner clutch at 114k and some misc wear items like transmission driveshaft output seal etc...

So far, from what I can tell I will need to do the following maintenance-wise:
- Refinish front bumper (crack in lower passenger side and crack below driver's headlight + front plate delete)
- New shocks/struts (I can hear them hiss on bumps with the windows down)
- New M5 trunk badge (the red is starting to fade)
- Replace 1 black kidney grill (passenger side is cracked)
- Diagnose and fix popping noise from front left suspension (heard on a bumpy slow speed downtown street with windows down)

My long-term goals for the M5:
- Thorough weight reduction (without losing amenities) preferably around 3500lbs or less without driver.
- 500 crank hp all-motor. I believe I'll need 410rwhp to accomplish this factoring 18% drivetrain loss.
- Increased daily driven gas mileage (through weight reduction, reduced rotational mass, engine efficiency, and aerodynamic considerations)
- Restore or increase handling capability
- Increase aesthetics cleanly

First order of business was a thorough detail but I'm strapped for time this weekend so I just gave her a thorough washing until I can get a new buffer pad for my Porter Cable and set aside 12ish hours to do a complete clay/polish/wax next weekend.

Here she is (I'm still detailing the interior...I'll post some pics up later):

·
Banned
3,793 Posts
What a great looking car you have there and you just might have the best color, ok that and Alpine White :) it's a toss up for me.

I have restored my car to almost new, and now will go after performance which are similar in goals to yours.

Talk to George aka m5deamon as he is authorized evolve. You'd need evolve heads,, headers, intakes, tune and you'd be close to your goal.

I went with oe shocks but will most likely purchase coil over from Ground Control.

Enjoy your beast in good health.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No mods yet...sadly...

But I did this:

Inspired by a post in the "What did you do to your M today?" thread, I used a magic eraser to take some shine out of my steering wheel leather. Looked bad at first but then I re-applied leather conditioner and dry wiped and I think it's a nice little reduction though still doesn't look matte like new.

Before:

After:

·
Registered
529 Posts
Congrats! I like the Long Term goals too. Accentuate the things it can be that most of today's cars can't. It'll be the anti F10 M5. Beastly N/A Power, and light weight so that it's quick and (ahem) nimble!

Now post some Turbo NSX pics! :biggrinbounce:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Looks great, my favorite M5 color of all time. What alcantara interior parts did you install? I'm going to be getting a bunch of stuff from Cobywheels.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I adjusted my tire pressures last night. Got confused by the door jamb sticker...so I went 40f/42r for now. They were sitting at 30/37 before.

That motivated me to hypermile to work today to see what she could really do... I'd like to hit this number without having to hypermile. I figure I can eventually get close after engine efficiency mods, lowered suspension (for better aero and reduced frontal area), lighter wheels, lighter tires, etc...

(Consumption 1 trip average for today, all other stats weren't reset) - 49 miles one way, around 50+ traffic lights, mix of 45-55-65mph speed limits.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I saw a request earlier for pictures of my NSX. Here's a couple of my favorite shots from a few different events and photographers:

My favorite shot...this one was taken at an event that I wasn't even at. My detailer had moved it over there to keep soot off of it from a diesel dyno day going on in the shop where he detailed.

This one was taken on an airstrip in Hendersonville, NC at the annual ZDays airstrip drag racing event sponsored by Forged Performance. My NSX is quick, but way to many R35 GTRs to contend with there...

Right after a paint-correction-level detail it received:

I ended up on the front cover of the Cannibeat event coverage for this event out of pure luck. My NSX was at a detailer nearby and he had to move the car because of an event going on in the shop he worked out of. So he drove it over to this show next door and they caught this picture on the way.

Same show as above:

This was at the new Atlanta Motorsports Park (AMP, designed by F1 Hermann Tilke) before it was completed. We got a slow parade tour from the president (with walkie talkies) and a local NSX owner blew out a tire on the unfinished pavement. While they were fixing that we got 3-4 full on laps because the president was a little on the testosterone-filled side. Not bad for $0!

This one was taken during a photo shoot of my car by a photographer friend at an old warehouse in Atlanta.

This one was taken right after we had the floor in our new garage coated. Don't let the picture fool you...the floor was a big $ mistake and isn't holding up. I advise against polyaspartic...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks great, my favorite M5 color of all time. What alcantara interior parts did you install? I'm going to be getting a bunch of stuff from Cobywheels.
The headline is alcantara of course, but the only thing aftermarket alcantara is the shift boot which was done by the previous owner. I'm guessing as part of the ZHP knob upgrade. I've got a another knob on my wish list (the ZHP ain't heavy enough for my tastes) so once I get that I'll probably sell the ZHP knob. I'm also not fond of the boot either...so I may eventually get a plain black leather replacement from redline goods.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I invested a little money into a mod this weekend...the driver mod. Here's a sneak preview until Killboy gets the good stuff uploaded. I need to find road outline decals for the Stelvio Pass, San Bernadino Pass, and Col de Turini from my euro delivery trip in 2008 as well as an Atlanta Motorsports Park track outline.

Reactions: sor118

·
Registered
122 Posts
The headline is alcantara of course, but the only thing aftermarket alcantara is the shift boot which was done by the previous owner. I'm guessing as part of the ZHP knob upgrade. I've got a another knob on my wish list (the ZHP ain't heavy enough for my tastes) so once I get that I'll probably sell the ZHP knob. I'm also not fond of the boot either...so I may eventually get a plain black leather replacement from redline goods.
Thanks for the feedback, I'm definitely having my steering wheel wrapped but I'm still on the fence about everything else.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got the chance to detail my M5 this weekend. I performed an extremely thorough paint correction detail that took me approximately 41 hours total time. It took so long mostly because I did not use an aggressive enough compound (I used Meguiars #2 fine cut when I should have used their medium cut at least).

I think the results are amazing. With the sun blasting head-on, the paint job looks brand new in person (the exception being the front bumper which is riddled with 120k miles of road wear, has license plate holes, and several cracks...it is pitiful really)

First thing was to wash with dish soap, clay, and re-wash with dish soap:

What I started with...I later realized I needed more aggressive polishing compounds and took my S2000 to the store to buy some:

I didn't use much of the Ultimate Compound, but I used ALL of the Meguiars #2 fine cut:

Pulled into the freshly-swept garage after I let it dry in the sun a bit:

Taped off all the stuff I didn't want to get polished/waxed:

I didn't get many good shots of the clear coat before, but this one is decent enough to show the swirls and general neglect:

This is after polishing with the Meguiar's #2 fine cut:

First coat of wax going on. This is *supposed* to be the most durable wax available:

First coat of wax is done:

Second coat of wax going on. I waited about 12 hours after the first coat:

Second coat of wax is done and tape removed:

Finally pulled it outside to see the light of day:

·
Registered
658 Posts
Nicely done. I like the color.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nicely done. I like the color.
Thanks!

Nice work - Which pads did you use on your PC?
Thanks! For polishing, I used the PORTER-CABLE 54745 Polishing Pad. I used one to apply the Meguiars #2 fine cut and then I used another fresh pad to apply the Meguiar's Ultimate Polish.

For applying the wax, I used Meguiar's W9006 Mirror Glaze Professional Soft Buff 6.5" Foam Finishing Pad which I had velcro'd to an Astro Pneumatic 4607 5" PU Velcro Backing Pad. I did not have any trouble with the velcro coming undone.

I tried to use another Meguiar's W9006 to remove the wax once it dried but I found it less time consuming to just use microfiber cloths and hand buff.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts