BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up a very rare AC Schnitzer Navigation (VDO Dayton 5100) package off someone from ebay Europe, and I was looking to see if I could get the sat nav to work in the USA. It came with a BMW Digital Road Maps disc 2008/2009 UK/Ireland map disc, and the nav computer is almost identical to a bmw MK3 nav computer... they even use the same lens components.

Does anyone know if the factory BMW north america map discs, maybe that 11 disc CD set, works with this? The menu's look very similar to the OEM BMW nav 16:9 screen menu.

I DO have an alternate plan lined up if I cant get this VDO Dayton nav to work... I have a working Alpine NVE-N872a with a TME-M580 screen that I can use instead. The screen is the same size, 5.8" and should mount the same way into the AC Schnitzer frame.

·
13,589 Posts
I doubt that they'd work, as the maps were made by navteq (now made by tom tom). Worst case is borrow one and see what it does. It will likely just tell you there is an incorrect disc in the drive. I'd be more concerned with it finding GPS signal working here than finding map discs. IIRC, that would be a GLONASS receiver since it came from the EU.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Hi Manny,

These ACS navigation unit's are very rare to find! I have an even rarer right hand drive version here that I'll be using soon. I'll not be using the rest of the setup though, i'll be doing something like your secondary option and using a different screen in it's place. I'm not sure about the mapping disks/software though, and as not many people on the forums have mentioned if they have one, it'll be hard to try and find out. I think you'll need to hook it all up and give it a go ?! if it doesn't work, then you have your back up plan !

Here's my piece

I guess yours being LHD will be the mirror opposite in shape to mine!

Pics of one in a RHD car

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Manny,

These ACS navigation unit's are very rare to find! I have an even rarer right hand drive version here that I'll be using soon. I'll not be using the rest of the setup though, i'll be doing something like your secondary option and using a different screen in it's place. I'm not sure about the mapping disks/software though, and as not many people on the forums have mentioned if they have one, it'll be hard to try and find out. I think you'll need to hook it all up and give it a go ?! if it doesn't work, then you have your back up plan !

Here's my piece

I guess yours being LHD will be the mirror opposite in shape to mine!

Cheers, Dennis!
Dennis,

Oh no.. seeing that picture just made me realize that mine is RHD as well! GREAT! I went by the way it looked in the picture, it looks like it would face the LHD side.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Hi Manny,

Double Drat!

Oh well, not to worry!

Here's what the LHD version looks like;

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I doubt that they'd work, as the maps were made by navteq (now made by tom tom). Worst case is borrow one and see what it does. It will likely just tell you there is an incorrect disc in the drive. I'd be more concerned with it finding GPS signal working here than finding map discs. IIRC, that would be a GLONASS receiver since it came from the EU.
Ugh, you're right. GLONASS might be the issue here more so than the discs. Surveillance-mad US bans Russia's GLONASS for spying fears - experts - News - Politics - The Voice of Russia: News, Breaking news, Politics, Economics, Business, Russia, International current events, Expert opinion, podcasts, Video < Thanks Obama! :grrrrr:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts