BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about putting an AC Schnitzer rear spoiler on my ED 2005 645Ci (which should be in port today and in my hands on Friday). Has anyone had this spoiler installed on their 6er? If so, any comments would be welcome.

Its over $800 USD before installation and painting, so I would appreaciate any feedback from AC Schnitzer customers before I take the plunge.

I also ordered a front grille (the below the bumper one) from Race Mesh Grilles which should get here next week. I'll post pictures after installation.

I've only seen one picture of the AC Schnitzer rear spoiler so far, so if anyone can post other pictures, that would be great.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Schnitzer produce an excellent, well fitting, high quality product. And obviousely they have passed the German TUV test.

Do you mean this rear bumper, or a trunk spoiler?

Frank.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trunk spoiler. I've found additional photos on the web and while I'm not crazy about the price and losing the car while it installed, I'm very seriously thinking about getting one. I think it adds what Chris Bangle missed. Yeah I know it was Adrian van Hooydonk's car, but Bangle set the design metaphor didn't he?

The boat is pier-side. I should get my ED 645Ci today or tomorrow if I'm lucky, monday if I'm unlucky.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AC Schnitzer rear spoiler photos - I googled at home last night and found some but I don't have the URLs here at work just now.

If you mean photos of my ED 645Ci, its not in my hands yet and it is 100% stock at the moment. I drove by the docks on my way to work and did not see the car in the vehicle off-load parking lot. The last 24 hours of a 2 month wait may be the hardest :grrrrr:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the stock 645Ci should be off the boat and re-delivered to me tomorrow but the weather in Honolulu is rainy just now, so probably not a good day to shoot pictures since Stratus Gray like the sunlight and hates the shade.

I have a front grille (below the bumper) on order from Race Mesh Grilles which will probably show up next week. For the rear, I have a piece of carbon fiber which I picked up from a local fiberglass shop. I'm almost scared to start glassing the back of the car, but what the heck my photoshop'ed mock up looks good. And I'm 90% sure I'm going to get the A.C. Schnitzer rear spoiler (truck lid). So inside of a month these purely appearance mods will be done.

Now if BMW Individual and BMWNA can just commit to an Individual 650Ci for U.S. delivery...

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yes, I've seen the Hamann spoiler also. I'm not going for a "race" look so the Hamann doesn't do it for me. Too boy racer tech looking for me.

If I had engine and suspension changes it might be appropriate, but living in Hawaii, my poor 645 has already seen the fastest it will ever go (145 MPH) while in Italy. Even brief moments at 120 MPH are rare on this island. Heck, I got a ticket for 74 in a 50 on monday ($177) which will be the first traffic ticket I'll pay in 22 years. I guess with all of the "con brio" driving I do, I've been lucky for a very long time. Plus I've beaten 4 tickets along the way. I guess my number finally came up the other day.

With the spoiler, I just want to take of what, to my eye, Bangle and company left unfinished. The lines of the car just look unfinished, like they ran out of clay before they finished modelling the trunk. The A.C. Schnitzer spoiler completes the lines IMO.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ordered the Schnitzer trunk lid spoiler from CECWheels.com today. I've already spoken to the paintless dent repair contractor at my local dealership (who also does conventional body/paint) and he will paint and install it for me.

Jason at CECWheels.com (Claus Ettensberger) took my order promptly over the phone and will ship today, so I may have it painted and installed within a week or two. I will post photos afterwards.

Boy those Schnitzer wheels are expensive (but nice looking), so stock wheels for now :wroom:.

On another note, I installed a Race Mesh Grille which covers the front under bumper grille. Looks nice and installs quickly one you figure out how to get the ties lined up. A before and after photo is pending approval in the my photos area.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Mark Carson said:
Race Mesh Grille installed the day after I finally got my European Delivery 645Ci in Hawaii.
Looks real good. Went looking for that Mesh but could not find it. What was your source?

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Race Mesh Grille

I recommend both the product and the vendor:

Email: [email protected]
Phone: 925-628-7502

If you order, feel free to mention that I recommended him.

I ordered the "polished stainless steel" (there are 3 finishes). It was $177 (via PayPal) including shipping to Hawaii. The normal stainless finish costs less, but does not have the "chrome" look.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My A.C. Schnitzer trunk lip spoiler has just been installed. It was painted yesterday and the body/paint shop mounted it today. Its 1700 here now and I'm still at work, so no photos until tomorrow.

First impressions:

• Looks good, almost a perfect fit visually (comes almost to the edges of the truck opening). It is physically an excellent fit.
  • My paint guy did a very good job matching my car's Straus Gray paint.
  • The spoiler can't be seen from the driver's seat, which is to say it does not restrict visibility from rear view or side mirrors.
  • The trunk is now heavy enough that the trunk release does not lift the trunk open, it just unlatches it. Darn it!
  • I have yet to see if the BMW car cover fits over the spoiler or not.
Spoiler with air shipping from Cal to Hawaii - $920
Paint and installation - $260

So far as I know, the trunk lid is the same on the M6 (really I'm guessing), so this would fit an M6 if they ever make it to the U.S. (next spring/summer I hear).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts