BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
buy the right tool for the job. i have the 4s on my E46 M3 and they are great...but only for warm weather use. i wouldnt trust the summer compound under cold conditions...its not worth the risk. under lower temps that rubber will turn rock hard and provide poor traction. def to A/S if you need an all-year tire.

·
Registered
2001 BMW M5 Oxford Green Metallic/Caramel
40 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
The s85 and smg pose additional challenges in holding tire traction during s6 shifts as well as the big bump in torque curve above 5500 rpm.

I always get caught out in cold weather when I have foot to the floor at 4000 rpm in order to get acceptable torque response but am to slow to dial it back when into meat of power band.

At least I got the shifting down and reduce surprises by feathering throttle during shifts.

I rather just park the car in the winter

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I mean - winter is what the truck is for right? Unless it's a warm spell like we are getting in CA right now - into the 70's for a few days!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I mean - winter is what the truck is for right? Unless it's a warm spell like we are getting in CA right now - into the 70's for a few days!
I have an unconventional view on that.
The public feel secure in the passive safety envisioned in driving a truck, perhaps only true when others loose control or if one is prone to distracted driving.
I believe active safety is more important.
Trucks are a terrible conveyance for accident avoidance, longer braking distance, much slower response to demands in direction change.

The lower center of gravity of the e60 chassis is conducive to keeping the shiny side up regardless of scenarios

I would rather ride a Bus than have my control inputs attenuated by a Truck.

No joy in that

21 - 28 of 28 Posts