BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys. The 08 M5 I purchased a few months ago is on 5 year old Bridgestone Potenzas with about 4/32 left and it's January in North Carolina, so cold and wet. So I'm going to be proactive and go ahead and get a new set. Always been a Michelin guy. I have been stuck for weeks on the decision between the Pilot Sport AS 3+ and the Pilot Sport 4S. I know, ones an all season, the other is performance summer. I know its taboo to some to put an all season on this car but I don't track it, nor do I drive super aggressive. I just want something I can drive with confidence even in winter, barring snow.

Question is then, would the 4S really be that bad in a North Carolina winter that's just cold and wet assuming I'm driving responsibly? IE, interstate commutes at 75mph, cruises etc?

What would you guys advise based on a casual driving style?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Granted I'm in Fl so it dips into the 50's for 3 days during the entirety of winter, but I run pilot sport 4S's and don't have a single complaint aside from cost. Though you do get what you pay for.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Granted I'm in Fl so it dips into the 50's for 3 days during the entirety of winter, but I run pilot sport 4S's and don't have a single complaint aside from cost. Though you do get what you pay for.
That's sort of where I'm leaning. In my opinion, winter tires are not warranted in North Carolina so I'm definitely not having two sets. And realistically, its only below ideal operating temp for the 4S for probably 3 months out of the year. I can just drive cautiously in the mornings until the temp warms up.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I am a Michelin fan myself although I have run the Potenza's on some E39s 528s that I had and had excellent experience with Continental DWS all weather on my Cayenne Turbos.

Going all the way back to MXX3s, Michelins have been outstanding as long as they don't get put into icy conditions nor anything above a mere dusting of snow. It was well over 10 years ago I recall trying to get my E34 M5 (which had PS2s at the time) out of a downtown parking garage here in Dallas one time when we got 2 inches during the day. I got all kinds of strange looks as I literally drove it sideways taking up two lanes trying to get it back around the block and back in the parking garage and get a cab home. At idle it just spun the tires once I started to let out the clutch. Zero traction. Literally none.

I run Pilot Super Sports on my E34 M5 and Pilot 4s on the E60 M5. Both are amazing tires.

By the way, I grew up in Iowa so driving in bad weather was nothing new. Good tires or dedicated snows and weight in the trunk over the drive tires makes all the difference.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am a Michelin fan myself although I have run the Potenza's on some E39s 528s that I had and had excellent experience with Continental DWS all weather on my Cayenne Turbos.

Going all the way back to MXX3s, Michelins have been outstanding as long as they don't get put into icy conditions nor anything above a mere dusting of snow. It was well over 10 years ago I recall trying to get my E34 M5 (which had PS2s at the time) out of a downtown parking garage here in Dallas one time when we got 2 inches during the day. I got all kinds of strange looks as I literally drove it sideways taking up two lanes trying to get it back around the block and back in the parking garage and get a cab home. At idle it just spun the tires once I started to let out the clutch. Zero traction. Literally none.

I run Pilot Super Sports on my E34 M5 and Pilot 4s on the E60 M5. Both are amazing tires.

By the way, I grew up in Iowa so driving in bad weather was nothing new. Good tires or dedicated snows and weight in the trunk over the drive tires makes all the difference.
Well, snow is definitely out of the question. I wouldn't even bother in that. I just want to know if raining and 40 degrees is still too much for a 4S.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Well, snow is definitely out of the question. I wouldn't even bother in that. I just want to know if raining and 40 degrees is still too much for a 4S.
You will like the 4s. Awesome tires and super well damped. I road tripped my E60 a while back and they really are super smooth at speed and well damped / quiet tires.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm in NC and installed Kumho ECSTA. The car isn't my daily driver, but is used on long trips where road noise and comfort are an import factor. The tires have been good in wet weather.

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,464 Posts
Michelin PS4Ss are a great tire -- just be responsible when/if the temp drops. Terrific in the rain. I use them as my year round street tire in Southern CA. With that said, I have been caught in freezing temps, visiting family for the holidays in Northern CA -- not great, but the e60 is the car we usually drive up for the holidays. If there is a dusting of snow in the forecast, then it's the quattro, which have Michelin A/S 3+. I will be switching the A/S 3+ with the replacement Michelin All Season 4, when the time comes. The A/S 3+ is a great cold weather tire in anything, other than just a dusting of snow. I have not tried the A/S 3+ in the deep stuff. For full on snow and winter in the Sierra, our LandCruiser gets the honors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Living in Wisconsin 08 M5 pilot sport A S 3 love them good through the winter and damn good through the summer never had a problem all the way up to 173 mph .

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Whatever you pick, keep in mind that summer tires literally disintegrate when you drive on them when it is below freezing. So if the area where you live ever gets that cold, not an option for a DD car. So, judging by your description, I'd personally go with AS3 or AS4 if Michelin is your preference.

·
Registered
700 Posts
4S is top of the line, I go to the track in the rain and they are always fighting for grip and are very predictable. To save a few bucks the Extreme contact DWS or the AS3 would be a good fit if you are not really pressing the car.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Continental DWS on the wife’s X5, one of the few options when we needed 315 cross section in the rear, utterly fantastic tire on that vehicle...tenacious grip for an SUV. When I needed tires and was at a time where I needed to save a few bucks because I was dumping so much into other areas I actually went for the Firestone Indy 500s. Other than the mental wrangling of putting Firestone’s on an M5 I actually really like them. Quiet, comfortable, predictable on the edge and more than enough grip for the type of backroads driving I do when I’m having fun...and not 1/3 the volume the PSSs on before we’re at speed. But, budget not being a limiter I would have put the PS4s on...

·
Registered
2009 BMW E63 M6, Sapphire Black
477 Posts
My M6 has brand spanking new High Peformance Z rated Goodyear A/S on them. Not sure why, I looked them up, and they are top of the line for GY A/S. I want to switch to 4S, which is what I run on my E60. That said, not a bad performing tire. I'm pretty impressed for an A/S. And they look good too, can't really tell they are A/S. But I'm TX and have no need for an A/S.

·
Banned
1,396 Posts
keep in mind that summer tires literally disintegrate when you drive on them when it is below freezing
The rubber durometer is softer for low temps on winter tires and provide better traction in on wet surfaces as well as snow/ice (but that is more from siping). By contrast for ultra high performance summer tires, at low temps they are pretty rock hard and will have poor grip on wet asphalt at 40 deg. UHP tires don't "literally disintegrate at or below freezing", but they are next to useless and quite dangerous. The tire manufactures are quite transparent about that as well, and have warnings for R compound tires in wet and cold conditions.

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,464 Posts
Back from when I was at Michelin for the Launch of the A/S 3 in 2013, which is now two generations old.

You'll see my ugly mugg at 0:53 and 2:40. My Indy shop owner/racer, Oceanside Motorsports (OMS), is on at 1:38 and 2:35.

And my thread/review:

·
Banned
1,396 Posts
Nice. They always put on a great production. I was at a Michelin event down in the OC in early 2018, when they just launched the BFG KM3 and also the Pilot Sport 4S. These are alot of fun, and yes, the 4S is a big leap up, but it won't disintegrate below freezing.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, well that's clear as mud. Think I'm going to continue on these Potenzas until I can decide better. Leaning towards the 4S tho, and just being selective on what days I drive for those 3 months of the year.

·
Banned
1,396 Posts
The 4S is the best high performance SUMMER tire.

The Conti Extremecontact DWS 06 is a good all around tire and comes in the M5 sizes. DWS is Dry Wet Snow.

The KM3 is for mud, amazing what you can do in a parking lot in SoCal.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have Supersports on my E60, and they are very good down into the 40s, in rain too...and given that the 4s is supposed to be a big improvement even over these...I have to imagine they’ll do very well for 3-season driving. They are pretty bad once it dips to ~freezing temps, but that’s expected of course.

On the other hand, I did make it through the first winter with the car on Pole Position S04s, which was interesting but it wasn’t too bad if the roads were dry.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts