BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remove wheel

Turn wheel to opposite side you are working on

Open plastic cover of connector and disconnect it.

Remove the cable from front strut.

Remove bolt(s) from wheel speed sensor(early versions have 2 bolts,later ones only one,5mm in hex socket,tightening torque 10NM).

Remove wheel speed sensor.

Clean insert hole in the strut.
Grease new sensor a bit and bolt everything down.Takes about 20-30 minutes...

·
Super Moderator
4,827 Posts
With these low torques this question may not apply, but in general, do you have to break "frozen" bolts free with your DIYs? If so, do you resort to using PB Blaster or some equivalent?

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Help me, please.

What is a "PB Blaster?'
PB Blaster is a chemical used to free up seized nuts/bolts. Not sure if it's a spray or squirt, or both.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is a great and very reliable DIY of replacing the abs speed sensor. Well, my cousin would be doing this DIY by next week on his car and this post would be very helpful to him because he is not quite familiar in replacing the abs sensor. I'm quite sure it would be an easy job for my cousin especially that it has pictures on it. Anyway, I'm gonna share this to my cousin so that he could already start doing it and thanks for sharing it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
e39 Front Wheel Speeds Sensor

Hello there,

This may be a silly question, but I have been told that once you replace the Front Wheel Sensors, you have to reprogram or recalibrate the onboard computer in order for the warning lights "Tire Control Inactive" etc. to be reset and know that there are new sensors. I have searched everywhere to find something to confirm this, but haven't found any post anywhere. Is a calibration or computer reset required once the sensors replaced?

Many thanks in advance,
Scot.

:typing:

·
Super Moderator
4,827 Posts
It doesn't hurt to recalibrate with the button. I do mine after I top off inflation pressures every month or two.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Thanks for this thread. Did this the other day and I'd say this is a 15 minute job and the longest part is removing and re-installing the wheel.

A few tips for those of us who have modest tool sets...

1. Intend to take the front wheel off and THEN crank the wheel in whatever direction is necessary to expose the rear side of the rotor in the front.

2. Get a medium-to-large set of pliers with a good rubber grip.

3. I used an allen wrench instead of a hex bit to loosen the one (not 2) bolts on my speed sensor behind the rotor. I put the allen wrench in then grabbed it with the pliers and twisted about 45 degrees and it was totally loose.

4. You need to wiggle, vigorously, the wiring out of their brackets. To re-insert said wiring on the bracket attached to the strut mount, I gave it a good shove with my shove and then used the pliers to squeeze it back into place. Hand-power was not enough for me, but squeezing it in with pliers was easy.

A good shop quoted me $100 to replace this sensor. Can't emphasize enough how much it's work to DIY in cases like this. So easy. Good chance to inspect everything too :)

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
What is meant by "grease the sensor before putting it back"? Do I coat it with di-electric grease before reinstalling? I'm not replacing the ABS sensor just putting the old ones back after near by work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts