BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have read and googled much on this topic. Some have been fixed with throttle actuator or wheel sensor.
What I want to know is how many out there had the DSC hydraulic unit and DSC ECU changed and it did not clear the ABS light permanently?
I've read on a few instances this was the occurence. After the DSC and ECU change, a wheel sensor took care of the light.
The dealer troubleshooting flowchart printout clearly points to DSC.
But I'm not trying to feed them 4G to find out it was a wheel sensor.
Thanks for responses.
04/07 manufacture date M5

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Did they give you any actual fault codes? If you work with an independent BMW repair shop, they may be more willing to actually "diagnose" it than BMW AG's Easter-Egg troubleshooting flowchart.

It's all new to me, but the INPA software has the ability to monitor any sensor on the car. I would imagine you could use it to pull up the DSC module and read any analog values associated with DSC such as wheel speed, lateral acceleration, etc.

It does not make sense to me that both the ECU and the DSC hydraulic unit could fail though.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Did they give you any actual fault codes? If you work with an independent BMW repair shop, they may be more willing to actually "diagnose" it than BMW AG's Easter-Egg troubleshooting flowchart.

It's all new to me, but the INPA software has the ability to monitor any sensor on the car. I would imagine you could use it to pull up the DSC module and read any analog values associated with DSC such as wheel speed, lateral acceleration, etc.

It does not make sense to me that both the ECU and the DSC hydraulic unit could fail though.
^This! You need the fault codes to know what exactly failed.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
According to ISTA:

5DF1- Hydraulic unit pump motor connector faulty
5DF0- Hydraulic unit pump motor.

Based on that, I would not suspect anything beyond the connector to the motor. If it were me (and the reason I won't go to a dealer), I would disconnect it and perform continuity checks across it. If those prove ok, then motor winding resistance (it has to be DC and likely isn't brushless), even test the motor with a 12V power supply and verify it works properly.

By the dealership method I think the flowchart is:

have problem--->replace stuff randomly

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same error codes and have been adviced to change the DSC. Before I start spending big money, I would appreciate if you could tell me your final verdict. Was it the connector or did you end up changing the whole DSC control unit and hydraulic unit?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gonna try pluging in

Today I will try plugging in a used dsc unit i bought to see if it clears. Still can't figure out how to get L cabin filter housing off.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spent an hour looking for dsc. But couldnt find it!!!
Can someone tell me where it is?
I had the cabin filter assembly removed and found the brake booster

Where is the dsc??
Thanks

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks!!! Perfect because ive got to change the washer pump too. Maybe even lower fronts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Swapped the dsc. Bled the brakes. Light still on. Didnt drive it yet. Do I need to get the light cleared? Its a yard dsc

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update.
Light cleared by indy. DSC working fine now.
FYI:
You need software to run the abs to properly bleed brakes and integrate the new ABS unit.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sorry guys, hate to bring up an old thread but Iam not having 75 posts just yet.

Is it still working? My BMW shop told me that I can't use a used DSC/ABS ECU beacuse its programmed to the cars chassi number. How did you make it work? They say some lights will still be on. I get no respons from the DSC/ABS ECU. Thanks

T

·
0 Posts
Sorry guys, hate to bring up an old thread but Iam not having 75 posts just yet.

Is it still working? My BMW shop told me that I can't use a used DSC/ABS ECU beacuse its programmed to the cars chassi number. How did you make it work? They say some lights will still be on. I get no respons from the DSC/ABS ECU. Thanks

I have sold over 80 of these used m5/m6 Dsc pumps and have never had a complaint with reprogramming one to another car. ;-)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
168 Posts
okey good! =) You mean both the electrical and hydraul part of that unit? As I have understood they can be seperated, dont know which one of mine that's bad. Do you have a website or something so I can check your inventory? Regards

1 - 20 of 35 Posts