BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

Recently bought an 2002 E39 M5 with 90K miles. Drove around 200kms in December, then stored it, until last week.

During storage, I made some basic maintenance on it. Flushed the brake fluid with the motive brake pressure bleeder. Previous owners seem to never had done maintenance on this because there was some gooey stuff that came out from the calipers.

So last week, after driving less than 5 miles, the ABS/DSC lights came on. It will go off after turning the car off, but randomly comes back usually after driving only a few miles. I will also light up when the car is stationary.

INPA gave me the following codes:
- Brake switch 105
- pressure sensor 114
- steering angle sensor 103

Cleared them and drove some more, lights came back, and now getting only the 114 code.

When lights are off, ABS and DSC works fine. Activating valves and pumps with INPA makes noise so I guess it' all working fine. Brake pads are good too.

What should I look for to pinpoint the problem? Could it be that some of the old fluid interferes with the system? Did I get air in the system? (pedal is firm though)

Also I've installed the shark injector that came with the car, could it be the issue?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Which light or lights were on initially exactly? The ABS and the separate DSC light? There's an orange BRAKE light, a red PARK BRAKE light, an orange ABS light and the DSC-off symbol light.

Which light or lights are on after "clearing" them?

Have you checked the brake fluid level in the reservoir?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which light or lights were on initially exactly? The ABS and the separate DSC light? There's an orange BRAKE light, a red PARK BRAKE light, an orange ABS light and the DSC-off symbol light.

Which light or lights are on after "clearing" them?

Have you checked the brake fluid level in the reservoir?
It's the same lights that are coming on. DSC off, ABS and the exclamation mark next to the abs.

Didn't check the fluid yet but when I had the flush it was ok. I'll later today.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The engine tune won’t have anything to do with the DSC fault.
If your brake fluid was that bad, I’d probably start with replacing the pressure sensor.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The engine tune won’t have anything to do with the DSC fault.
If your brake fluid was that bad, I’d probably start with replacing the pressure sensor.

Yeah but sensor is 200$. Wish I could pinpoint the issue first.

Maybe I can remove it and clean it with brake cleaner?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so I'll try cleaning it first and I suspect I may have air in the abs system.

Not sure how to bleed the abs with INPA? Any hints? Made a search and nothing usefull came up.

·
Registered
92 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
INPA doesn’t have the bleed routine program for an E39.
Only DIS or ISTA D does in the “Service Functions” menu but they’re really difficult to get working.

It also needs to be done with a pressure bleeding connected at the same time.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e39-m5-lim/repair-manuals/34-brakes/34-00-braking-check-ventilation/AryWRXx
Well, that's a real pain. I have INPA and BMW scanner. Wish those 2 could at least do that simple task.
Under the ABS menu in INPA there's options to open the system valves and activate pump. There is no procedure to get the air out using these options?

I don't have DIS and really hope to avoid dealing with it. It has been a pain already to have the INPA and bmw scanner running on my laptop.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well, that's a real pain. I have INPA and BMW scanner. Wish those 2 could at least do that simple task.

Under the ABS menu in INPA there's options to open the system valves and activate pump. There is no procedure to get the air out using these options?

I don't have DIS and really hope to avoid dealing with it. It has been a pain already to have the INPA and bmw scanner running on my laptop.

Yeah, so do I.
INPA only activates the pump and valves individually. If it does get the air out of the system it’s probably more by luck than design.
The DIS procedure runs the pump and activates the valves in a specific sequence to purge the air out of the DSC Hydraulic unit and into the lines to then be bled out of the calipers.

I’ve used DIS on an E39 with a F&R Brembo GT BBK - the brakes felt good before, but some air was expelled and they became mind blowingly awesome!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, so do I.
INPA only activates the pump and valves individually. If it does get the air out of the system it’s probably more by luck than design.
The DIS procedure runs the pump and activates the valves in a specific sequence to purge the air out of the DSC Hydraulic unit and into the lines to then be bled out of the calipers.

I’ve used DIS on an E39 with a F&R Brembo GT BBK - the brakes felt good before, but some air was expelled and they became mind blowingly awesome!
Ok thanks, I'll try to get then... found it at around 20$ on ebay.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've ran INPA and found the pressure sensor testing.

Numbers go up when pressure is applied so I guess the pressure sensor is fine. Weird thing though, brake switch stays at 1-1.2v even if no pressure is applied. Normal?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Also while connected to INPA, I would hear a clicking noise from the front end and lights will turn on or off at the same time. Wonder if that's normal too?!?!

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Also while connected to INPA, I would hear a clicking noise from the front end and lights will turn on or off at the same time. Wonder if that's normal too?!?!
Can you post a photo of your cluster with the warning lights on?

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
It is likely the ABS/DSC module. If there are 50 ABS issues reported 49 relate to a failure in that module. The smart thing to do is remove the module and send it out for testing and even if it tests fine have them go over it and redo some common solder issues and you won't have an issue in the future. Even if you do they will fix it for free depending where you send it.Frankly if you start messing with that system and you don't know what you are doing you will introduce air into the system and then... well just read all the threads on getting air out of the ABS, not pleasant.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It is likely the ABS/DSC module. If there are 50 ABS issues reported 49 relate to a failure in that module. The smart thing to do is remove the module and send it out for testing and even if it tests fine have them go over it and redo some common solder issues and you won't have an issue in the future. Even if you do they will fix it for free depending where you send it.Frankly if you start messing with that system and you don't know what you are doing you will introduce air into the system and then... well just read all the threads on getting air out of the ABS, not pleasant.

Very true and well said.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The reason why I suspect air in the system is that it was working fine with no lights before the fluid flush.

Or maybe it's that gooey stuff that got moved around in the system and interferes with the ABS???

I'll try another flush and bleed procedure after getting DIS, and then will send the ABS module for repair if not working. I wish there was just a way to diagnose the issue first.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts