BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two years ago these three lights came up on the dash which is pretty common on these cars as we all know. What sets mine apart is the symptoms
after the lights came on. Every time i would touch the brake pedal ABS would activate which became quite dangerous since i couldn't stop... I ended up removing the fuse and living without these features for couple years while troubleshooting. It ended up being my right rear wheel bearing, grease had come out of it and contaminated the little magnetic strips that the abs sensor reads. Bearing itself did not show any noise or any indication that it was bad for 25,000 + miles until recently when it started to humming. Here are the things i replaced to no avail during this time.

2 rear abs sensors
swapped fronts around
abs/dsc pressure sensor
abs/dsc module
All of my instrument gauges and cruise control worked perfectly during the problem

After removing the bad bearing and seeing its condition I was certain that the new bearing was going to remedy my problems. I lowered the car, put the fuse back in and all systems are a go.
I'm putting this up here in case someone has similar issue/symptoms and is looking for a resolve.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Two years ago these three lights came up on the dash which is pretty common on these cars as we all know. What sets mine apart is the symptoms
after the lights came on. Every time i would touch the brake pedal ABS would activate which became quite dangerous since i couldn't stop... I ended up removing the fuse and living without these features for couple years while troubleshooting. It ended up being my right rear wheel bearing, grease had come out of it and contaminated the little magnetic strips that the abs sensor reads. Bearing itself did not show any noise or any indication that it was bad for 25,000 + miles until recently when it started to humming. Here are the things i replaced to no avail during this time.

2 rear abs sensors
swapped fronts around
abs/dsc pressure sensor
abs/dsc module
All of my instrument gauges and cruise control worked perfectly during the problem

After removing the bad bearing and seeing its condition I was certain that the new bearing was going to remedy my problems. I lowered the car, put the fuse back in and all systems are a go.
I'm putting this up here in case someone has similar issue/symptoms and is looking for a resolve.
How many miles are on your car? I ask more from a curiosity standpoint regarding the life of the rear wheel bearings. I had one start to make noise so I replaced both of them this weekend. They were the original bearings are far as I could tell, and only the one had a little play, the other was fine, but the car has 196,000 miles on it...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How many miles are on your car? I ask more from a curiosity standpoint regarding the life of the rear wheel bearings. I had one start to make noise so I replaced both of them this weekend. They were the original bearings are far as I could tell, and only the one had a little play, the other was fine, but the car has 196,000 miles on it...
I replaced both of mine couple weeks ago and it had 154,000 miles. They seemed original and only passenger rear was bad. As i mentioned above my problems started roughly 25,000 miles ago. Grease leaked out of the bearing yet somehow it managed to go another couple years without any symptoms...

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I have same issue with abs, brake, and DSC. I wonder if my wheel bearings is causing this issue.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
My gt1 shows that all wheel sensors are reading just fine. I had the weird abs activation during light braking which it was not safe as you said it increased the distance to stop the m5. I also took out 2 fuses.

I'll have to bring the m5 to the shop soon for lower oil separator hoses and have them check the wheel bearings if they are bad or not.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was the car moving when you got the results from GT1? The key here is to look at the diagnostics while in motion.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Was the car moving when you got the results from GT1? The key here is to look at the diagnostics while in motion.
Yes I did this test while in motion to read the speed from all sensors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts