BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

As the title says, a friend of mine offerd me a E38 750iL, black, with black interior.

What do you guys think about it ???

As M5 E34 are very rare, they are very diff to sell ...

I'm thinking about the trade until tomorrow

need some advice, in fuel consumption, problems, engine, etc.

Best Eduardo

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I agree with Rob, Eduardo. 750's depreciate very quickly in the UK, surley the rarety of your e34 means it should be worth more than the 750, the only gain's would be refinement and comfort, plus I'm sure fuel consumption would be worse. I cant see you getting any endorsement for the move on an e34 M5 forum.
Keep the ///M.
cheers,
Phil.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I agree with the guys above. Those 7's are very tempting, I owned a 740il. It was a good car, but the M5 is so much better to drive and enjoy for so many reasons. Also if you are buying a 7, Id advise buying the 740 because the 750 v12's are known to be a nightmare for problems. For example, most cars have one port for the OBD, the 750 has two, one for each bank of cylinders. Read about it more on bimmerboard.com/forums/e38, those guys know the 7's the most. Get some advice from them and see what they think.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I made the same move several years ago. You will give up some acceleration and handling, but make no mistake: the 750 is no slouch. It's a lot more car than the M5 in terms of comfort but a lot more potential issues with service. It helps if you have a good mechanic or dealer to work with. //DS

·
Registered
517 Posts
Yes 750's are very tempting and very fast. The seamless power delivery is much different from the raw beastly E34 M5. My neighbor has one that I drove and it was very quick, quicker than the M5 . The maintanence is different though. There are 2 of everything. I think there was even 2 batterys. I'd make sure I did a PPI and had a few bucks to back it up. They are very nice but I wouldn't give up the M5 to own one. I love the nasty, have to drive hard to get it, feel of the M5.

·
Registered
310 Posts
mblaster said:
Yes 750's are very tempting and very fast. The seamless power delivery is much different from the raw beastly E34 M5. My neighbor has one that I drove and it was very quick, quicker than the M5 . The maintanence is different though. There are 2 of everything. I think there was even 2 batterys. I'd make sure I did a PPI and had a few bucks to back it up. They are very nice but I wouldn't give up the M5 to own one. I love the nasty, have to drive hard to get it, feel of the M5.
and the 750 (earlier e38 atleast) doesnt even have much more power/tq than the 740, so I really dont think its much better. If your looking at later e38 models, drive a sport, now thats a quick 7, and the handling is incredible for such an enormous car

·
Registered
310 Posts
some US specs

97 740il: 4275 lbs, 282 hp, 310 tq, roadholding .81, braking 60-0 123ft, 0-60 7.2
97 750il: 4550 lbs, 322 hp, 361 tq, roadholding .79, braking 60-0 n/a, 0-60 6.5

I dont think either model is quite as fast as even a US spec 3.6 M5, but because of the massive amounts of torque they feel faster. I do remember however from owing the 740il that it was a boat in many respects. When you hit the throttle from a stop it kind of takes a while to pick up speed. Once it did stumble off the line it would move pretty well though. Torque is an addictive thing, but I really think the handling you get from an M5 cant be beat.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
MBrasil

I dont know what the petrol prices are like over in Brasil - but be prepared for a silly fuel consumption figure. My freind has a 750 it drinks fuel noticeably more than our somewhat meagre 6 cylinders.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
redl1nerpm said:
I agree with the guys above. Those 7's are very tempting, I owned a 740il. It was a good car, but the M5 is so much better to drive and enjoy for so many reasons. Also if you are buying a 7, Id advise buying the 740 because the 750 v12's are known to be a nightmare for problems. For example, most cars have one port for the OBD, the 750 has two, one for each bank of cylinders. Read about it more on bimmerboard.com/forums/e38, those guys know the 7's the most. Get some advice from them and see what they think.
Hi!
I believe that the "double of everything" was more true for the E32 750i where the two cylinder banks were separately controlled. The electronics and other stuff were heavily revised for the E38, which is far more reliable and has only one control unit for engine electronics. There is dual MAFs and stuff and it is a VERY expensive car to maintain. I have driven a 740i and it felt surprisingly nimble and sporty, suspect that 750i and especially the long version is a bit of a pig in handling terms....
Totally diffrent animal compared to the M5....

:cheers:
Sakke

·
Registered
546 Posts
I don't think you can really compare the two cars as they are completely different animals. One is a high performance sport sedan the other a land yacht. It would really depend on what type of driving you prefer. If you would like pampered high speed cruising 750iL. Time trialing to work and play keep your M. Ideally I think everyone would like one of each a 318 as daily use low petrol consumption, M for pleasure, and a 7 for family vacation cruising.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thank you all for the replies !

As I work on BMW subsidiary, parts and service is not an issue, as I can get parts for a good price.
Fuel consumption is an issue, I use at least 60km p/ day from home to work, but I've been told that in start stop traffic they are pretty much the same.
Traffic in São Paulo (Brazil) is really bad. Just for an example, I take at least 45 minutes to cover 30 km on highway, from home to work. My M5 consuption is not better than 4~5km/l.

Best Eduardo

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
This is why I now have a 1.3 Golf Mk2 for lower tax, Insurance and petrol costs I get around 37 mpg out of the car even with town driving thrown in.

·
Registered
546 Posts
MBrasil said:
thank you all for the replies !

Traffic in São Paulo (Brazil) is really bad. Just for an example, I take at least 45 minutes to cover 30 km on highway, from home to work. My M5 consuption is not better than 4~5km/l.

Best Eduardo
You need what we call a station car. Gas savings would cover cost of ownership. get a beat up vw to commute in and throw it away every year no maint required.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hello,

I agree with all of you guys
When I bought my M5, I've considered the "fun factor" which is about 10 for me.
In the 750il, you will have an 8 the first two week, then it will crash to 5.
If I were you, I would buy a Golf 1.8 Turbo for daily commuting and keep the M5 to have some fun. Or buy a 740i short base.
Best regards
Sebas
1993 M5 Touring Daytona Violet :wroom:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
THANK YOU ALL !!

I COULD NOT RESIST !

I TEST DROVE THE TITANIC AND BOUGHT IT. SORRY M5.

THE CAR IS VERY COMFORTABLE AND LOOK PRETTY GOOD.

I THOUGHT ABOUT ALL YOUR ANSWER, BUT I CAN NOT AFFORD ANOTHER CAR, RIGHT NOW, SO I'M CONSIDERING THE COMFORT FACTOR, AS SÃO PAULO TARMAC IS LIKE *****, TRAFFIC JAM EVERYDAY, AND AN AUTO COMFORT SHIP, WITH 16'' WHEELS AND SOFT SUSPENSION IS THE MOST INDICATED FOR ME RIGHT NOW.
MAYBE IN A FEW MONTHS I'LL REGRET AND BUY AN 95 3.8 WITH 6 SPEED. AND GET A FEW BUCKS BACK. AS THE 750 IS A LOT MORE EXPENSIVE THAN OUR E34 M5 (AT LEAST IN BRAZIL)

THANK YOU AGAIN. I WILL BE AROUND ON THE FORUM.

BEST REGARDS, EDUARDO

1 - 17 of 17 Posts