BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum and I had a quick inquiry. I know there have been probably tons of write ups on it already but I just wanted to post something so here's my question. Should I be scared when almost purchasing an E39 M5? I love the e39 chassis (I've already owned one) but O always hear people throwing out rants and hate on the s62 motor because of it's vanos issues. I'm a very DIY type person but I'm just worried about the constant upkeep cost. The one I'm currently looking at is a April 2000 build date with a bunch of things added on like a Dynavin and new HIDs not to mention beautiful interior and exterior. The car currently has about 87,000 miles on it and they're listing it for a decent price but I'm skeptical. I know I'm gonna end up getting it but I would like to know what to keep an eye out for before the final purchase.
Thanks a ton to whoever pitches in!

·
Registered
119 Posts
As far as the VANOS issues go, they are simply part of owning this car. They won't happen to everyone, but they can happen, and are a real possibility. Sometimes the fix is a quick DIY, sometimes is a full VANOS replacement.

However, I wouldn't let that sway you entirely. A used pair of VANOS units (left and right) plus indie shop install will run you between $2k and $2.5k. And once you do that, you probably won't have issues again.

Honestly, if you can't afford that kind of work, then you probably shouldn't own this kind of car. If you can, then it's one of those "ohh crap, it happened to me" moments.

·
Registered
294 Posts
i wouldnt worry to much , i aswell am new to the ownership of the M5 but like any used car it is a shot in the dark.. there are a few rules to follow though to make your purchase with a little more peace of mind..
get a pre-purchase inspection at a BMW dealer, and ask for all maintenance records. if there are none make sure the dealer knows that before the inspection. not every inspection catches everything but you will be buying with knowing how it was looked after. break downs are part of owning a 12 yrold car.. but you will smile every time you walk up to it..!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I've done the lookups and DIY's and I'm not that terrified of the issue it's just gonna be another PITA thing to do. I love the beast so I'm gonna see how it goes. Thanks for the quick replies guys! I love the help I've gotten from the forums!

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I know there have been probably tons of write ups on it already but I just wanted to post something so here's my question.
This is usually not the best way to start a post, but in the interest of being welcoming and not spoiling any of the M5 ownership fun that comes from this board, welcome! I hope you find a beast soon so you can add to our community.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Don't worry about potential VANOS issues. I never worked on a car in my life, and within a year of owning my M5, I repaired my VANOS and did a whole mess of other maintenance stuff.

Take it for a PPI before you buy. Ask if he has service records. If he does look at them. If he doesn't, ask him if the VANOS was ever replaced, if the VANOS accumulator was ever updated, and if all the major sensors are original (MAFS, CPS, O2s). Just good things to know.

If the PPI comes back good, and the car looks cared for, don't stress about it.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Be really careful with a purchase- south Florida is a beacon for scumbag dealers.

GET A PPI. Pay the money, get it done. before you purchase (of course). Assume everything the seller tells you is a lie.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies. I know about the cost of constant maintenance and around how much they cost to upkeep because I have groups of friends that own Ms and other BMWs and I have owned an e39 so I'm looking forward to it. I'll be sure to post back here after I've made my final decision.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. I know about the cost of constant maintenance and around how much they cost to upkeep because I have groups of friends that own Ms and other BMWs and I have owned an e39 so I'm looking forward to it. I'll be sure to post back here after I've made my final decision.
Welcome to the board and I hope you stay around (if you get the E39 M). As mentioned already, get a PPI from your indy shop/mechanic. BTW, I'll be moving to Miami in about 4 months so hopefully I'll see you on the road :wroom:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts