BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I've already pulled the trigger on this in a sense - I have an agreement with a chap who will sell me the car once he's back in the States and my bonus comes through. :M5thumbs:

I've obviously been really stoked while I wait, so I did a bunch of continued research on the internets. I stumbled across some videos of what looks to be exactly the car I'm buying, but it's on track at AutoClub Speedway in 2011. I'm pretty sure if it is "my" car - the current owner doesn't know the car has been tracked because he didn't mention anything about it when I asked and these videos were posted before he ever owned the car. I happen to know he bought it from a dealer so he wouldn't have known and neither would the dealer.

Aside from that worry - the car seems super clean. Clutch is tight, Brakes are great - no loss in power. Will have the final P.P.I before the paperwork is signed and planning a compression test.

Do I have anything to worry about because the car was on track at a track day? Is that an automatic deal breaker?

Here is some of the video - seems he bangs a few shifts off the rev limiter and some of his clutch work seems to slip a little, but I've heard that some of the stock clutches slip a little when they heat up:

Link 1 is how I identified it: BMW E39 M5 With No Mufflers and Stock X-Pipe - YouTube
Link 2 shows the limiter banging a little and the clutch work I was mentioning: 2001 BMW M5 @ Auto Club Speedway - YouTube

LMK your thoughts guys!

Thank you in advance,

Ben

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Do I have anything to worry about because the car was on track at a track day? Is that an automatic deal breaker?
This is going to cause chaos :rofl:

On one side you have folks that will point out that it is a car, a BMW and an M series so the track is its natural habitat, on the other side will people who are convinced that every M5 is about to fall apart and taking it to the track will speed up this process - what kind of oil was used, what is the state of the rod bearings, what brand of air filter is being used, what was the humidity that day, was their cloud cover during that day or possible even rain :eek: etc. ad nauseum

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
A BMW M5 is meant to be driven hard. I'll just leave it at that. :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks man - I completely agree - Current owner keeps the oil in great shape (there was a case of Castrol w/6 quarts used and 6 remaining in the trunk when I test drove it). Not sure about the rods - will my shop be able to check that easily in the P.P.I?

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
What?! Somebody tracked an M5??? That's an automatic show stopper, no Go!! These cars should be kept under cashmere sweaters in an temperature controlled garage behind spit shined glass! hiha hiha hiha

·
Registered
222 Posts
1st, I think the price is too high. That said, the car in the video sounds great, has good throttle response and sounds otherwise healthy. The driver looks experienced and as long as it has records and is up to your cosmetic standards, for it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
This is going to cause chaos :rofl:
Literally laughing out loud.... u funny guy!

Pretty sure my car was on a track before I bought it, think the guy spun it out at a high speed and scared him into a new STI for the AWD, bought it with 100k & NO PREVIOUS RECORDS OR PPI!!! I am happy as can be with the car, and have done my own maintaining since!

·
Registered
6,014 Posts

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Reactions: Dieselfumes

·
Registered
1,986 Posts

Pretty sure my car was on a track before I bought it, think the guy spun it out at a high speed and scared him into a new STI for the AWD, bought it with 100k & NO PREVIOUS RECORDS OR PPI!!! I am happy as can be with the car, and have done my own maintaining since!
you like to live on the edge, no records or PPI :eek:oohhh: [sarcasm]

·
Registered
6,632 Posts

Pretty much how I bought mine, but I did have the dealer put on a lift and checked it out myself. Couldn't be happier.

But if I ever found out it had been on a track or drag strip I would go completely ape s**t. hiha

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Same for my car.

No records.

PPI by me(I have been to a few where the the BMW techs didn't know jack crap about an e39 M5).

Mine has been bullet proof so far (14k) Purchased 8/1/12.

2 road trips so far - 811 miles oneway and 725 miles oneway,both to and from were all day drives,13hours and 10 hours each way with the last the car ran all day about 10 hours straight(even during fueling).

A PPI isn't a guarantee but it might catch something you missed.

Be willing to walk away.

At some point(it was when the seller got out of my new car at his house and I drove away at 6k rpm to the stop sign)it's all on you.

Best of luck!

:wroom:

Reactions: AGM5

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
<----<-----<-----PPI less also. ;) yawnnnn :3: :tearsofjoy: :read1: :imnotworthy:

·
Registered
899 Posts
When you buy any used car that is over 10 years old AND is as complex as these cars are there is a risk. All you can do is your due diligence and drive them how we see fit. Some of us are a polish and oooh and aaah group, some of us are tinkering fools, some of us are mod it and scald it; the rest of us are a combo of all of these. The one thing we all have in common is the suspicion that at some point it's going to cost us $$$$ to put it back on the road. Now you can minimize this to some degree by completing the never ending list of "m5board recommended" maintenance...maybe. Either way that money will find its way into the Beast. The beauty of loving these cars is there is a ton of knowledge here and someone is always willing to share their expertise and/or time with those of us that find ourselves in need of it.

I will be the first to admit I was very lucky with my purchase 3 years ago because I knew nothing of this board. Knowing that now, I'd only buy a e39 Beast from a board member to minimize the risk.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
looks like a potentially solid car and knowledgeable enthusiast owner from what's in the add. I would certainly strongly consider a car like that.
I always like buying these kind of cars from the owner vs. a dealer too. Gives you a better sense of at least the recent history - was it garaged, was in maintained, etc.
Get a PPI for sure - that will give you better knowledge about the condition and what may need to be replaced soon. For sure some of the suspension bushings are due at that mileage. But looks like a nice one.

There is a Jet Black / black 02 on Craigs List in the SF Bay Area with 67K miles on it - again, add seems to be written by an enthusiast owner. Price is too high IMO, but everything is negotiable right? Looks like a very nice car. Might want to check that one out too if you are in this area.

·
Registered
529 Posts
This thread was over before it started. It's not the same car :). Here's the one from the track in the youtube vids: photos

Sleep easy tonight OP.

Alright fellas, we'll have to rabble rabble in another thread.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9gSQg1i_q2g" allowfullscreen="" width="420" frameborder="0" height="315"></iframe>

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1st, I think the price is too high. That said, the car in the video sounds great, has good throttle response and sounds otherwise healthy. The driver looks experienced and as long as it has records and is up to your cosmetic standards, for it.
Yeah, I was able to negotiate the price down a bit - but no need to discuss it here - just trust that i'm not paying quite as high as that price is marked - the price we settled on seems fair to me. I really appreciate the rest of your feed back though - it's true that when you think past the rev limiter banging and a few slipped shifts, you are right - this guy seems pretty experienced.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This thread was over before it started. It's not the same car :). Here's the one from the track in the youtube vids: photos

Sleep easy tonight OP.

Alright fellas, we'll have to rabble rabble in another thread.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9gSQg1i_q2g" allowfullscreen="" width="420" frameborder="0" height="315"></iframe>
OMG thank you! but just real quick - how did you spot this and know that this is the one?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts