BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We are excited to announce that our SAP-replacement tensioner is currently being produced en masse, with a scheduled delivery date of 10/10/18.

Having completed 1500 street test miles with a prototype on my personal car, and with two units already pre-sold, we are ready and hoping to blast the market with this unique product you cannot find elsewhere!

Replacing your Secondary Air Pump, our tensioner utilizes an OEM BMW V-belt pulley bolted to a 6061 anodized assembly, which is bolted to the engine in the same manner as the SAP. Retaining the walker plate and nut tensioning function, our system uses the OEM belt size and ensures proper tension for the A/C compressor.

Paired with our custom-cut header block-off plates (available with new hardware and gaskets), we enable a full SAP-system delete while retaining OEM functionality of the A/C belt circuit!

We will “go live” on the website once we have quality-checked the production run! https://www.angryasssolutions.com/parts/s38-secondary-air-injection-delete-plates

Chime in with any questions, concerns, or suggestions! We ship worldwide: and if your country or state has visual emissions inspections, consider that you can always swap our unit out for the testing visit, and replace it afterwards. For places with the “sniffer” test only, a warm and health S38B36 with functional catalytic converters has no issues passing emissions without the SAP system.

Below is a photo of the prototype; production units are anodized in dark grey.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Great news! Can't wait for mine to arrive. Is there a good DIY for this? I poked around in that area before and while I'm sure I could figure it out, the SAP does look pretty buried.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great news! Can't wait for mine to arrive. Is there a good DIY for this? I poked around in that area before and while I'm sure I could figure it out, the SAP does look pretty buried.
We'll provde a full installation write-up, with pictars. In developing this part, I've become a flippin' magician at installing and removing the SAP and this tensioner, LOL. The keys are to embark on this journey with both a cold engine and beer.

·
Registered
396 Posts
If there are any other owners in Victoria, Australia wishing to share freight costs, please let me know as I will be grabbing one of these kits asap

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We are live!

Assembly is complete and we are very happy with production quality. Order away!

If you show us or post an image of your old lawnmower belt, we’ll offer a 10% discount code for your next order :p

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Our 3rd tensioner assembly is shipping out today, to our friend on the board 'inertia8' !

No one has yet installed the kit, but early reviews are that it is a piece of art :)

Later in the month, most likely, Greg and I will perform an installation guide of the unit on my car.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I am gonna have to get ☝.

But while I was waiting I overspent on a new wrx, bigger intercooler, better ebcs, bigger turbo exhaust pipe, and a professional tune. So I am tapped out as well as slightly distracted with this new tuned toy. It barely has 1800mi on it. ?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I posted this question in bimmerforums, but does anyone know what smog stations exactly check for with SAPs? Like if the pump is there but you have the block-off plates, would that still pass? If somebody knows what they look for that'd be much appreciated. :)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I posted this question in bimmerforums, but does anyone know what smog stations exactly check for with SAPs? Like if the pump is there but you have the block-off plates, would that still pass? If somebody knows what they look for that'd be much appreciated. :)
This is a great question! I do not know California's specific standards, but I'm sure some folks on here will know them - paging Mike Ottati :)

In Colorado, they do a cursory visual check on the pump. I passed with the pump intact but without a belt (lol), and I had the block-off plates installed. Here it seems they are looking for evidence of the smog system but they do not test it, which I've heard is less stringent than CA (go figure).

We discussed this at length while developing this product; we considered designing the tensioner to look (even more) like an SAP for this purpose! In the end we struck a middle ground between minimalism and mimicry, but keep in mind our tensioner uses the same belt and most of the same tensioner hardware. I think one could swap our unit out and install the new one in an hour or less (on a cold engine).

·
Registered
215 Posts
This is a great question! I do not know California's specific standards, but I'm sure some folks on here will know them - paging Mike Ottati :)

In Colorado, they do a cursory visual check on the pump. I passed with the pump intact but without a belt (lol), and I had the block-off plates installed. Here it seems they are looking for evidence of the smog system but they do not test it, which I've heard is less stringent than CA (go figure).
From what I gather, there's no set process in California, or at least it's very much dependent on the shop. Basically they do the minimum amount so that their shop don't get punished by undercover cars that periodically go in the shop.

My idea is to run gutted smog pump, no piping but maybe the electrical cable that runs up near the distributor so it looks semi legit. Really want to get rid of those runners inside the header too, even if the gains are minimal. :smile

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
From what I gather, there's no set process in California, or at least it's very much dependent on the shop. Basically they do the minimum amount so that their shop don't get punished by undercover cars that periodically go in the shop.

My idea is to run gutted smog pump, no piping but maybe the electrical cable that runs up near the distributor so it looks semi legit. Really want to get rid of those runners inside the header too, even if the gains are minimal. :smile
I have heard that as well - and then of course, everyone in CA with a modded car seems to "know a guy" so it doesn't even matter what the statewide rules are :wink

The majority of the weight is in the pump itself, and unless they put your car on a lift, I don't think they will necessarily catch if the hoses are not routed. The header plates are pretty obvious, however. And I would say the electrical connector and the belt are good tell-tale signs as well.

Interesting point from user Jackson in your BF.C thread, I have not actually heard of anyone reconditioning these pumps (successfully)! Even though Angry Azz sells a direct replacement and upgrade for this part, I understand the realities of smog checks and we would like to help support all E34 M owners.

As I mentioned, during development we discussed the feasibility of an owner installing our kit between smog tests, and re-installing the smog pump for the test (every 2 years? I think). It's really not a bad job for the tensioner/smog pump itself.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hmmm I'm strongly considering ordering this, what's the availability like?
Ships the same day, if the order is placed before USPS closes :)

We’ve just sold our 4th tensioner unit, 2 to the same customer! A couple dozen stock on the shelf.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts