BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the go ahead from Mike that the pictures are safe to post publicly since they are taking the prototype to the big BMW meet in Orlando this weekend so everyone can take a look at it there. If you're local, check it out and maybe take some first hand pics as they should have some dyno time by the weekend actually. Dyno time is supposed to start up at the latter part of the week now that they're nearing completion on design.

Also I guess all the piping and plumbing are going to be polished up and finished nicely so can't wait to see the final product and numbers. I just got this over the weekend as an update so I thought I'd share with everyone here.

:cheers:

Sean

·
Registered
12,935 Posts
I agree impressive looking, but I wonder, (1) why dual SC's, more friction loss and more hardware to purchase and (2) with that kind of packaging/plumbing (which does look nice), why not twin turbos, since there are less parasitic losses when off boost? With big low end torque, lag is not a problem and big turbos can run moderately low boost to push a lot of air.
Now we just have to see what else is in the "kit", install time/$$ and kit cost as well as how reliable it turns out to be. Looking better and better for us "old" E39'ers to go hunting for unsuspecting E60's.... :2:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Intesting looking.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lwebb12 said:
Is this the kit that is going to cost 15k?
They aren't releasing any pricing or even a ballpark until they get done with all the dyno tuning and fabrication so I couldn't even begin to guess how much it will be. It's AA so it should have around a 2 year warranty on it. I'll definately post up any information that I get passed on to me straight away though for everyone.

Sean

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Is the intercooler split or what? It would seem your dumping air from the blower into each side and sucking it from both sides to go to the engine. Seems ineffceient. Never seen one like that I dont think, most of the time it just goes in one side and out the other, how's mixing it (if it's not split) work? And why mount the blowers so low.

·
Company Representative for Active Autowerke
189 Posts
SeanMD said:
I got the go ahead from Mike that the pictures are safe to post publicly since they are taking the prototype to the big BMW meet in Orlando this weekend so everyone can take a look at it there. If you're local, check it out and maybe take some first hand pics as they should have some dyno time by the weekend actually. Dyno time is supposed to start up at the latter part of the week now that they're nearing completion on design.

Also I guess all the piping and plumbing are going to be polished up and finished nicely so can't wait to see the final product and numbers. I just got this over the weekend as an update so I thought I'd share with everyone here.

Sean
Yes we will be starting the car today. I will have additional pics in a couple days. As far as the numbers on the car and so forth, we will have those available within a week or two.

p.s. Moderators please contact me regarding sponsorship.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jayson said:
Is the intercooler split or what? It would seem your dumping air from the blower into each side and sucking it from both sides to go to the engine. Seems ineffceient. Never seen one like that I dont think, most of the time it just goes in one side and out the other, how's mixing it (if it's not split) work? And why mount the blowers so low.
Not trying to speak for their R&D efforts, but it does appear that the intercooler is infact two same side relayed I/C welded together which is the right way to do it on a setup like this. As for the mounting, it's actually a better place to put them as it looks like the charge piping never even enters into the engine bay at any point that I can see. This would definately help keep the charge cooler by keeping everything down low where the air is colder/more dense. Just my observations...could be entirely wrong.

Sean

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Looks like a lot of extreame bends right out of the s/c and right b4 the intercooler I'm curious as to boost loss.

·
Registered
12,935 Posts
Jayson said:
Looks like a lot of extreame bends right out of the s/c and right b4 the intercooler I'm curious as to boost loss.
Good question. They do have a good rep on their turbo kits. I was in one of their older E36 328's at Moroso. With "only" 14 psi, the thing screamed down the straightaway.
I suspect they have considered the pro's and con's and looks like they are doing their setup different than D/A and Dinan. We will see what ESS CA Automotive and VF come up with. Different ways to a better mousetrap? Competition improves the breed!:D
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jayson said:
Someone jump in if I'm off track, but the bends wouldn't have an effect other than changing the degree of the airflow and thus, raising the charge temps and effectively lowering density in that capacity. If that's what you were refering to, all the extreme bends appear to be before the intercooler, which won't help the incoming charge, but if the intercooler is efficient enough, it should be able to cool the charge down sufficiently that temp losses would be a minimal. After the intercooler, it looks as though the bends are actually quite a bit less drastic than even the CAI setup.

gsfent, definately agree, VF looks like they're going to put out a very good kit as well and the price is definately attractive, there's about to be quite a bit of competative kits announced very close to each other which hopefully is going to help us out in the long run :1:. The next few weeks should be interesting! :noSMG:

·
Registered
12,935 Posts
SeanMD said:
gsfent, definately agree, VF looks like they're going to put out a very good kit as well and the price is definately attractive, there's about to be quite a bit of competative kits announced very close to each other which hopefully is going to help us out in the long run :1:. The next few weeks should be interesting! :noSMG:
Don't forget to add into your budget some rear subframe reinforcements, better clutch and some type of brake upgrade, if you don't already have some, or all, of the above. Oh yes, keep a spare set of underwear in the glove box for whey you turn off the DSC!! :1: cherrsagai
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
SeanMD said:
Someone jump in if I'm off track, but the bends wouldn't have an effect other than changing the degree of the airflow and thus, raising the charge temps and effectively lowering density in that capacity. If that's what you were refering to, all the extreme bends appear to be before the intercooler, which won't help the incoming charge, but if the intercooler is efficient enough, it should be able to cool the charge down sufficiently that temp losses would be a minimal. After the intercooler, it looks as though the bends are actually quite a bit less drastic than even the CAI setup.

Depending on how extreme they are, and how many they are, you can acually cause small boost losses here and there which add up.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm going to this meet on Saturday! :) I'll be sure to ask a ton of questions and get some real good pics/vids for everyone.......

Also, I was at last year's Summerblaze in Orlando and it's a pretty good meet so here's a big invite to any Florida M5'ers.....should show up and represent since we hardly get any good meets in Florida.

-Jonathan

·
Registered
977 Posts
tampa_M5 said:
I'm going to this meet on Saturday! :) I'll be sure to ask a ton of questions and get some real good pics/vids for everyone.......

Also, I was at last year's Summerblaze in Orlando and it's a pretty good meet so here's a big invite to any Florida M5'ers.....should show up and represent since we hardly get any good meets in Florida.

-Jonathan
Central Florida BMW Association (www.cfbmw.com) has 31 members alone on the list for attending Summerblaze. The original location at Race Rock has been changed to Mercado (down the road) because of not enough space. I'm supposed to be there, if my wife doesn't change her mind this week to go to her class reunion.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Hmmmm.....is this the final piping and routing? It appears this AA kit will hang down about 3" below the crossmember and base of the radiator. This is not good as E39 owners see occasional ground-to-frame and valence contact on stock cars! The factory frame crossmember is less than 3" from the road surface under solid, compressed bumpstop contact...and this ignores road crown or uneven surfaces. It would seem that this setup is more suitable for a street drag car. On typical roads in my area, it would be damaged within miles. Lowered car would be a huge problem.

Perhaps oval piping, rerouting or some other tweaks will be used in production.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lscman said:
Hmmmm.....is this the final piping and routing? It appears this AA kit will hang down about 3" below the crossmember and base of the radiator. This is not good as E39 owners see occasional ground-to-frame and valence contact on stock cars! The factory frame crossmember is less than 3" from the road surface under solid, compressed bumpstop contact...and this ignores road crown or uneven surfaces. It would seem that this setup is more suitable for a street drag car. On typical roads in my area, it would be damaged within miles. Lowered car would be a huge problem.

Perhaps oval piping, rerouting or some other tweaks will be used in production.
Glad to see Omar on here from AA, there is very limited resource for the beasts and I think it's a good thing they're here to listen to our concerns/comments as this will probably be the single largest advertising resource for AA if they're trying to break into the M5 market. The picture does look a little deceiving, one angle looks quite a bit lower and the first actually looks to be close to in line with the oil pan. That is a major concern about that type of setup, and it becomes much more of one if you are or are planning on being lowered at all. Hopefully some more pictures and comments from AA will follow.

Sean

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Well, I'm no expert so I can only speak from experiance. I had a 1987 Mazda RX7 Turbo II that had extensive modifications. One of which was a fairly large intercooler mounted in front of the radiator. There was a problem with the engine overheating. That problem was eventually was remedied. But I wonder if that same problem poses a threat here. Since AA is in Florida, I expect that lots of hot, humid, weather testing will be done. hmmm

1 - 20 of 86 Posts