BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Need more pics! These really should be on a wall somewhere next to the family pictures :)
I think you said it wrong.

The family picture needs to be on the wall next to these.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Actually, I prefer the OEM stainless steel headers. I believe the technology is termed hydro-formed, thus seamless, no welds.

Attachments

·
2,149 Posts
Actually, I prefer the OEM stainless steel headers. I believe the technology is termed hydro-formed, thus seamless, no welds.
If only the stock headers looked half as good as they look their or flow nearly as good as the evolve headers.... You are def the first person i have heard to prefer the stock headers over the evolve headers in any way haha

·
Registered
282 Posts
Work of Art or a performance car part

Evolve headers; eye candy that performs. It's sad, though, the OEM header's perform just ok, BMW M could have and should have done a much better job. Not really sure why they did not put a little more effort into such a critical component! :dunno:

·
Company Representative for evolve automotive
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ew the stock manifolds, haha.. With all those crimped and pancaked bends
Just to illustrate:

And I feel the same way...need to get a set on the wall at home. The other half said I can do that once I build myself a man cave. :3:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Work of art or a performance car part?

Evolve, after seeing these pics, OEM is clearly a mess. Looks like BMW M designers were on some kind of weird drug when they did their header development. Their design chokes the heck out of any good exhaust flow. What were they thinking of? Makes no sense. Thanks for sharing!:applause:

·
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Evolve, after seeing these pics, OEM is clearly a mess. Looks like BMW M designers were on some kind of weird drug when they did their header development. Their design chokes the heck out of any good exhaust flow. What were they thinking of? Makes no sense. Thanks for sharing!:applause:
We have shared these before but always good to post them again in case people missed them the first time.

Also shows that any "header" based on the stock headers is compromised too.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I find it amusing that so many folks here act like the "M" engineers are morons for the way that they designed some of the bits and pieces for these cars.

Consider this: They are squeezing 500 hp out of just 5 normally aspirated liters and can push 205 mph out of a 4100+ lb SEDAN delimited. And no matter how maintenance heavy they are, maintenance is still just a fraction of the cost of a similar performing Ferrari or Lambo engine.

Some of you clowns just need to lighten up and appreciate what you have. It's enlightening that so many of you have deep pockets to spend on some performance bits like these headers that only provide a miniscule amount of actual real life performance. I don't give a rats arse about what a dyno might say. In a head to head race with equal drivers, they will make very little difference. And how many of you are actually tracking your cars where 1-2/10's make a difference? Me thinks not many.

·
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I find it amusing that so many folks here act like the "M" engineers are morons for the way that they designed some of the bits and pieces for these cars.

Consider this: They are squeezing 500 hp out of just 5 normally aspirated liters and can push 205 mph out of a 4100+ lb SEDAN delimited. And no matter how maintenance heavy they are, maintenance is still just a fraction of the cost of a similar performing Ferrari or Lambo engine.

Some of you clowns just need to lighten up and appreciate what you have. It's enlightening that so many of you have deep pockets to spend on some performance bits like these headers that only provide a miniscule amount of actual real life performance. I don't give a rats arse about what a dyno might say. In a head to head race with equal drivers, they will make very little difference. And how many of you are actually tracking your cars where 1-2/10's make a difference? Me thinks not many.
Leaving dyno figures and top pulls aside these headers make a significant difference in low end torque which makes day to driving much more enjoyable too. I'm sure no one buys a 500 BHP car and just cruises along at the speed limit all the time. You could buy a far less powerful car for that job :)

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I have to disagree with you here about adding "miniscule amount of actual real life performance" through bolt on mods. I know a few of us locals here, myself included, have seen what even decatted primary headers can do vs stock catted primary headers (I'm not even talking about the long tubular headers) where the M5 car with the decatted headers will easily walk away from the M5 with catted headers and keep pulling away. I have done this myself as well.

I guess it depends on what your definition of "miniscule amount" is.

Reactions: Benzin and 5soko

·
2,149 Posts
Ive raced a evolve fbo car vs my basically stock car in the real world, and i can tell you evolve products give a hell of alot of power! I got walked hard! Made a big difference. This V10 responds well to proper mods and tune like evolves. These headers aren't just for show, they work, and designed/proven to work.. You cant forget bmw has to make their products to do alot of things, not just full out performance; noise, emissions, general driveability, etc.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Evolve headers; eye candy that performs. It's sad, though, the OEM header's perform just ok, BMW M could have and should have done a much better job. Not really sure why they did not put a little more effort into such a critical component! :dunno:

If memory serves, BMW M did something similar with the E39 M5. The headers looked like a ball of tangled up spaghetti. As far as paying the $$$ for headers, I guess I would if I could see some measurable difference in the low-end and mid-range torque. Increase in peak HP? Not such a big deal to me.

·
Registered
631 Posts
There are a ton of things that get considered when building an individual piece on a new car. Cost, ease of manufacturing, space and lots of other things impact the design of the stock headers. The aftermarket will always have the upper hand here because they don't have the same constraints. A little dent here or a weird bend there could be a result of the tube getting too close to some wiring, or it may tune the exhaust pulses in a certain way that they wanted. We all know that moving to aftermarket headers changes that distinctive F1 sound considerably. I think it's a bit presumptuous to think that the M engineers did anything wrong with the stock headers, they just probably didn't have the freedom to make them exactly as they wanted.

But hey, at least we got factory headers and not some nasty log manifolds or something. To me replacing the stock headers isn't worth it, but I do appreciate the beauty and effort that went into Evolve's piece, they are definitely a work of art.

·
Registered
729 Posts
How much are these? Do these make the car sound like a V8 like i've noticed in some sound clips on cars with headers? Do you by chance have a clip with these headers and an eisenmann race set up? Thanks

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Anyone else going to stand up against these blasphemous heretics?

FYI, any picture of brand new sparkling, shiny stainless steel headers next to used stock headers with surface rust will make the stock headers look like crap!!!

FYI, those pancake bends that you described to be so ugly are variances in the cross-section of the primaries are for packaging (assembly) and clearance benefits, but the diameter of the primaries from flange to collector is the same. They do not alter the velocity of exhaust flow whatsoever!!!

FYI, those you call ugly stock headers are built by some ridiculous machine that costs in the millions. Do you know how ALL these aftermarket header manufacturers build their headers?

FYI, E39 M5 headers do not look like tangled up spaghetti. They are stock exhaust manifolds with one or two bends, hardly what you describe.

FYI, BMW & M Division spends millions, maybe even billions in R&D on their consumer products and racing programs. You're gonna say these nickel and dime aftermarket tuners can do a better job???

FYI, seeing 2 cars race with supposedly the same mods (except for headers) will never be an accurate comparison, ever! You want accurate, see below.

FYI, so easy to call the BMW engineers morons on drugs. I want to see you go to school and work your way up through the years and design world class leading products purchased by the likes of you so that some noob can call you dumba$$ engineers on drugs.

FYI, those "pretty" headers, are they truly equal length?

FYI, you want a true, honest and genuine comparison, build a set of these "pretty" headers with the same exact OEM cats right after the merge collector just like the stock headers and test ON THE SAME CAR!!! Keep rest of variables the same, hello!!! I dare you to publish your findings here!!!

Like what a very famous Mexican I know said the other day..."pinche noobies ignorantes!!!"

·
Registered
625 Posts
Anyone else going to stand up against these blasphemous heretics?

FYI, any picture of brand new sparkling, shiny stainless steel headers next to used stock headers with surface rust will make the stock headers look like crap!!!

FYI, those pancake bends that you described to be so ugly are variances in the cross-section of the primaries are for packaging and clearance benefits. They do not alter the velocity of exhaust flow whatsoever!!!

FYI, those you call ugly stock headers are built by some ridiculous machine that costs in the millions. Do you know how ALL these aftermarket header manufacturers build their headers?

FYI, E39 M5 headers do not look like tangled up spaghetti. They are stock exhaust manifolds with one or two bends, hardly what you describe.

FYI, BMW & M Division spends millions, maybe even billions in R&D on their consumer products and racing programs. You're gonna say these nickel and dime aftermarket tuners can do a better job???

FYI, seeing 2 cars race with supposedly the same mods (except for headers) will never be an accurate comparison, ever! You want accurate, see below.

FYI, so easy to call the BMW engineers morons on drugs. I want to see you go to school and work your way up through the years and design world class leading products purchased by the likes of you so that some noob can call you dumba$$ engineers on drugs.

FYI, those "pretty" headers, are they truly equal length?

FYI, you want a true, honest and genuine comparison, build a set of these "pretty" headers with the same exact OEM cats right after the merge collector just like the stock headers. I dare you to publish your findings here!!!

Like what a very famous Mexican I know said the other day..."pinche noobies ignorantes!!!"
What the Oracle said!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts