BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In less then a month from now, ten years have past since I took ownership of my E34S M5 in April 1999.

April 1999: Shortly after bringing her over from Samnaun and still on a (Swiss) export registration. I bought her from the first owner with a little over 96000km on the odo. Officially, BK02837 is from 1994 as she spend the first four years in the showroom of a Swiss BMW dealer without being registered. For the dreaded Dutch BPM car tax, this didn't make much difference since with help from BMW Netherlands, I could provide documentation that she has been manufactured in 1990.

June 2000: During the Europarit on the intersection between the Passo dello Stelvio (2758mtr) and the Umbrailpass (2503mtr).

Juli 2000: First M5 meeting organised though www.bmwm5.com

May 2001: During the Europarit somewhere in Austria.

May 2001: Father and son.

Juli 2002: Full welly from the hairpin after Gletch towards Belvedere on the Furkapass during the E34 M5 Alpstour. Picture courtesy from member Konstantin from inside member GeorgeK's 1995 E34 M5 Touring.

October 2002: On the way to check out two Audi RS2 Avants on autobahn A46 towards Heinsberg.

Juli 2003: During summer holidays on the Simplonpass (2000mtr) in the Swiss Alps. Behind, my fathers E32 735i.

August 2003: At the Nordschleife during the Old Timer Grand Prix (OGP). Picture courtesy from Paul Nagels.

September 2003: Waiting for a road construction site towards the Staller Sattel (2052mtr) during the E34 M5 ALps tour. Directlty behind, a 1995 E34 B10 4.6 touring [2] followed by some Japanese scrapheap that doesn't be;ong there. Direclt behind, member GeorgeK's HJ91 [3], member Donati's HD91 [4], K Payne's HC92 [5], member Konstantins HJ91 [6] and the HC91 from a non-forum member.

September 2003: Southside of the Passo di Gavia (2645mtr). Just pass on its right :eek:

Winter 2004: Large preventive maintenance :eek:h: . Will that come to a good end ? :1zhelp:

April 2004: Caught at the Nordschleife again. This time at the exit from Galgenkopf (Picture Courtesy Guido Glowacki).

August 2004: A week before the E34S Alps tour. Ooops.

September 2004: Col de Sarenne (1999mtr) During the E34S Alps tour.

April 2005: lot's of consumables.

September 2005: At the Penserjoch (2215mtr) during the E34S Alps tour. Shortly behind member M5Anwalts's HJ91.

October 2005: Caught at the Nordschleife shortly before closing time by Jochen van de Cauwberge (www.frozenspeed.com). For the first time with Michelin PS2 with which I could make a good progression in the second part of the track.

April 2006: Accidental minimeet at Brunchen alongside the Nordschleife?

April 2006: Line-up of all participating cars from the combined meeting with members from www.m5board.com en www.e34m5.de at the Dottinger Hohe.

Juli 2006: Yep, sometimes BK02837 needs more then just regular maintenance.

September 2006: On the Col de Petit St Bernard (2188mtr) during the E34S Alpstour. The 4807mtr high Mt Blanc is visible on the background.

September 2006: On the Colle delle Assietta (2596mtr), a 36km long hikers trail between Susa en Sestriere.

October 2006: Caught at the Nordschleife for what has remained the last Nordschleife lap with BK02837 ever since.

November 2006: Large overhaul and conservation session of the front-side that has been heavily contaminated with dust during the last E34S Alps tour.

January 2007: Some parts for the refreshement of the front-side.

January 2007: Cleaned and conserved.

The financial balance untill the end of 2006 for maintenance and repairs. :shock:

April 2007: During the opening show of a Dutch BMW dealer (Smudde Enschede), together with my E28S M5.

September 2007: Avoiding horse maneure at >>80km/h somewhere on the east side of the Oberalp (2000mtr) during the E34S Alps tour.

September 2007: Ooops, does that have to be again. Location; Oberalp-pass (2000mtr)

Januari 2008: Hellup, backyard hack mechanics in 'tha house' :dont:

September 2008: On the Solkpass (1790mtr) in Austria during the E34S Alps tour.

September 2008: A strange (ugly) duck ?

September 2008: Drivers Paradise; The north side of the Stilfserjoch (2758mtr) during the E34S Alps tour.

March 2009: Waiting for a next season full of driving fun. The odo has now reached a little over 183000km.

·
Registered
570 Posts
raymond, it´s nice to see the regards and proud ownership of such a versatile car. I hope you get 10 more years with her and also hope my M5 era has just begun! best of luck for you and her!!!

beautifull pictures and history!

cheers,

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm jealous of every pic you had, but scared of the bar graph...I've just completed 6 months of ownership of BK05916, and have loved every minute other than those spent paying for parts. Congrats on the first decade, and it looks like in your hands the car has many more to come! I can only hope that 9 years 6 mos from now I get to make a similar post. cheers

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
Thats very nice ray!

time to get those turbines back on!!

·
Registered
789 Posts
priceless.....

This topic should be parked.... thank you very much for sharing the 10 year story with us

·
Registered
570 Posts
i was looking at this topic again...it´s just a huge inspiration!!! thanks again Ray!

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Wonderful thread Raymond , thanks for taking the time to share some great pictures and narrative !

You are one of a select few members that have owned one of these rare beauties for over 5 years and it is fantastic to see that the enthusiasm still remains !

D

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Great thread Raymond - looks like there have been plenty of very good memories from your ownership experience.

Roll on the next 10 years!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Raymond-

Awesome piece and I agree it should be parked.

The bar graphs look like our Stimulus Package or another AIG bailout w/ the blue representing VIP bonuses.

Thanks for sharing this.

Mike

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
fab thread.

agree bar graph is slightly scary, and, mine seems to be heading that way, BUT hopefully I'll get 10 years of benefits like yours!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Ray,

Thanks for sharing that with us - it's great to see an E34 in long-term ownership with a 'warts 'n' all' write up - an inspiration for all owners and potential owners.

This thread has made me realise I passed 5 years of ownership with my UK LE GE00359 in December 2008 - roll on the next 5 years.....

cherrsagai

·
Registered
600 Posts
Impressive, should i assume that graph is considering you did most of the job yourself. God stuff though....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts