BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have finally figured out why I drive a beater.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
<o:p></o:p>

People, co-workers, friends, and family have asked me over and over why I drive a "2nd" car in the winter and when it rains. I usually justify it by saying how the salt will rust the car and ruin the paint. How it will seize bolts. How the tires don’t handle well in the snow, how it sits to low to drive in heavier snow (they don’t plow my neighborhood streets for days after a bigger snow storm so this one is really true) and how I don’t want to wreck it because people don’t know how to drive in the snow here in Cincinnati.

Those are all well and good reasons BUT yesterday I FINALLY realized why I have a beater (which is different than a DD!!) I absolutely cannot stand the idea of my car getting as dirty as it would with the snow and slush it would accumulate in just one drive (Like yesterday). NO WAY!!! I can barely stand to go 2-3 days in the summer without washing it.<o:p></o:p>

I don’t know why it took me so long to figure that out but that’s my real reason.

On another note, I’m just a normal guy not rich or monetarily wealthy by any means so I don’t have a "nice" car to drive as a 2nd car or a DD, instead I have a.... BEATER and I love it. I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford a car I can lean on in bad weather. Its a 1996 Honda Civic 4 door and OMG I love that little bi*ch. I bought it for $600.00 from my sister in law and I couldn’t be happier.

Just thought I would share.

Happy Holidays!!<o:p></o:p>

</SPAN>

·
Registered
970 Posts
Drove my M5 couple winter. Last year I had to fix my rusted door bottoms and decided I wont be driving it anymore. Spent $800 correcting paint and detailing it. This winter it is parked at my parents garage with BMW battery charges/ maintainer connected. Bought 1994 530i from Copart for $900. Put a set of Blizzaks and driving it this winter. I love my winter beater.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
+1 I always have used my 2nd car more in winter, the M only comes out on nice sunny days even if temp is 20 it is okay. I try to avoid any small amounts of snow if I can, but if I'm caught in a couple inches not much I can do. The M stays parked 75% of the time in winter, reason being too many crazy drivers out there that cannot handle snow driving and decide to hit brakes too late. Snow banks are like ice due to overnight lows make one mistake and hit one of those and it is over, rather loose a beater then the M. Also the salt plays a big factor, if I'm not able to wash the car in 2 days time I do not want to take it out, the salt will eat away the cars slowly if not washed and sometimes it is way too cold to even wash them.

If M was my only car I would not have one period! if living in MN

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
+1 on points made about 2nd car. I have 2nd car for several reasons.. Can't stand salt residue from roads on car/undercarriage, my tires are practically useless in the snow and im on-call @ work so i cannot have a situation where i don't have access to a car.. any car..

I know lots of people use their car in the rain, snow and mount snow tires and stuff but i just don't have the time to change stuff around.. Having 2nd car also buys time to do service (DIY) when u have time.. i can let the M5 sit in garage while i do major work on car over several days.. i don't have to rush any work.. Downside i guess is having to pay car insurance for 2 cars which is not too bad..

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
My bad, Chris. Based on the thread title, I thought this was your confession to the years of spousal abuse.Where's my head?:biggrin:

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My bad, Chris. Based on the thread title, I thought this was your confession to the years of spousal abuse.Where's my head?:biggrin:

Yah you know how violent I am Adam. hahaha.

Changed the thread title btw thanks. ;)

·
Registered
595 Posts
+1 on points made about 2nd car. I have 2nd car for several reasons.. Can't stand salt residue from roads on car/undercarriage, my tires are practically useless in the snow and im on-call @ work so i cannot have a situation where i don't have access to a car.. any car..

I know lots of people use their car in the rain, snow and mount snow tires and stuff but i just don't have the time to change stuff around.. Having 2nd car also buys time to do service (DIY) when u have time.. i can let the M5 sit in garage while i do major work on car over several days.. i don't have to rush any work.. Downside i guess is having to pay car insurance for 2 cars which is not too bad..
Must confess,when its snowing the beast stays in the garage and i use the wifes Volvo V70R,can be a bit hairy!!!!

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I drive my wife's old 2000 Honda Civic 4 door as my beater. I love the thing she has had it since new and it is like that old pair of sneakers that you love so much but are so ugly and worn out but you still love and don't want to get rid of. my other winter car is my 2001 Jeep wrangler, love my Jeep with its manual trans and soft top.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I drive my wife's old 2000 Honda Civic 4 door as my beater. I love the thing she has had it since new and it is like that old pair of sneakers that you love so much but are so ugly and worn out but you still love and don't want to get rid of. my other winter car is my 2001 Jeep wrangler, love my Jeep with its manual trans and soft top.
Got rid of my 4x4 to get my beast!

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I use my 99 ranger as my beater 4x4 is hard to beat in the snow and with the 5spd manual and the 4 liter v6 it's not terrible to drive aside from the fuel economy. Its nice to be able to park it anywhere and not care, go weeks without washing, it's great lol

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I use my 99 ranger as my beater 4x4 is hard to beat in the snow and with the 5spd manual and the 4 liter v6 it's not terrible to drive aside from the fuel economy. Its nice to be able to park it anywhere and not care, go weeks without washing, it's great lol
I JUST sold a 93 Ranger last week. That WAS my beater till the tranny went bad. I didnt want to put $1100 into it to fix it. Had it been 4x4 I wouldve but not 2wd.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My M is in hibernation as well...the '97 Nissan Maxima 5spd takes the winter abuse. Would just kringe kicking road boogers off the M! And it's going to be so sweet climbing into the M come spring...come on spring!!!

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
it's going to be so sweet climbing into the M come spring...come on spring!!!
Spring? I go in sit in mine in the garage every few days. I'm like a little kid (except I don't make the car noises) I just need to sit in it and it puts a smile on my face.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Spring? I go in sit in mine in the garage every few days. I'm like a little kid (except I don't make the car noises) I just need to sit in it and it puts a smile on my face.
+1

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have a '98 Accord with messed up paint and studded snow tires to drive in rain/snow/whenever I'm parking at work. It's a champion.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I have an '88 Landcruiser for the winter and trips to Home Depot and hauling the dogs. 230k miles, no rust, 13 mpg. 0 to 60 in about a half mile.

My '00 M5 has never seen a snow flake.

·
Registered
989 Posts
96 chevy lumina is my winter beater... I don't ever drive the M in the snow... Unfortunatly I got caught at work with a small flurry the other day, and DOT decided I was a good idea to use salt for a less then significant coating... Now my car is covered in salt, I haven't gotten around to washing it and I cant stop beating myself up about treating the beast to a salt bath.... Oh well, sh!t happens...

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Marcus, that Tacoma is way to clean to qualify. Here's a shot of mine in her winter coat (road salt) with a giant wood stove for the garage that I picked up cheap off Craigslist.

Attachments

·
Registered
968 Posts
I have to agree that it's nice to have a winter beater, and if you live in a rural, VERY hilly area, as I do - you have to have a 4 X 4. When it comes to 4 X 4, I've had everything from Jeeps to Explorers to F350s to Power Wagons and it's hard to beat a Hummer with the locking axles. It helps having mud and snow tires on all four wheels and for extra measure I had them siped. I've put over 15,000 miles on the M5 this year and I plan on driving it this winter as long as the streets are clear of slush, salt and snow.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts