BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently I ran into an issue while resolving a coolant leak on my 11/90 build M5. I could tell where there should be a place to bleed the cooling system, but my heater hoses there were plugged off very crudely. Searching for a part number left me with even more questions, and can be best summarized with obi wan kenobi’s famous “impossible, perhaps the archives are incomplete”. I wanted a bleed port. Some people stated that BMW found it redundant, and offered a service action to remove it and have it replaced with a continuous heater hose.

Through my own research, I’ve found a very effective solution. The Nissan 350z (z33 to all the nerds) has an in-line bleed port on their heater lines at the firewall, part number 92500-AR000. The issue with this OEM part, is it’s prone to fail. This is where the aftermarket steps in. Z1motorsports makes an all metal replacement, with the same 3/4” 19mm heater lines, and a brass bleed screw. I installed mine in a few minutes, and it functions how it should, and cost me $28 + shipping. I think apart from having the actual oe part, you can’t ask for a more efficient solution, and it beats my hodgepodge of 3/4” to 3/8” tee, to a 3/8” barb to 3/4” npt flare yada yada. I hope this post can help other owners, who may have been in a similar situation.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts