·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
appears in this month's C&D. Obviously
this car is not a direct competitor to the
M5 but has been referred to quite often on
this board. I thought some of you might
find this interesing: 0-60 in 3.9 seconds.
1/4 mile in 12.3 @ 116mph, top speed of 192mph.
The Ferrari 360 F1 and 12 cyclinder Aston
Martin (DB12?) appear in the same comparison
test. For what its worth, the M5 C&D tested a
few months ago posted almost identical numbers
to the 360 F1! Not bad

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
3.9 is a damn lie. Think about it. The real times people are getting are closer to 4.3 (i mean test drivers, not everage Joe), etc.
What an ugly *** car too :)
The DB7 Vantage is an Aston martin. It's like including a bentley in the comparison.

--Dan

·
Registered
417 Posts
Don't forget that MotorTrend ran a 0-60 of 3.4 sec and a 1/4 mile at 11.8

Car and Driver's numbers are normally closer to what real people can do because they average their times togther across numerous runs. MotorTrend just sites the fastest time of all.

I don't know what they were thinking when they designed the new front end....but what damn shame it happened to the legendary Turbo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The 996 is a prime example of what happens when the advice of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is ignored. The first thing that comes to mind for me is squashed frog. A damned fast squashed frog. Give me the 993 any day.

PeteM
00 M5 Titanium/Black

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I saw a black one the otherday! it was parked on the street, I walked all around it. I think I like the headlights of the previous model better (they all look like the Boxter now- and thats by design: porsche hired some excellent consultants (people who worked for many automakers) to give them tips on how to be more efficient in the actual building of cars- now many of their cars share parts, etc). I like the slightly more raked windshield and of course the rear- Ive never liked their interiors and this is no different- in general, this doesnt appeal to me, but I wouldnt say its not very nice- its the kind of thing that I could see how someone who it does appeal to would think its fantastic! and thats great- cars look too much alike now, so Im glad there are still things out there that are different.

ME

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
A seeeeeerious marketing flaw by Porsche, putting Boxster headlights on 996's...devalues the ****e out of them IMO...

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I think the 996 looks like a turtle anyways. Disrespect for what was a fine automoble (interior aside). 993TT is SO much more of a car than the 996TT. The only saving grace for the 996 is the GT3 (real race car stuff), and the soon to be evoked RS (whcih should be from another world).

--Dan

·
Registered
257 Posts
The 996TT has newer headlights, which dip into the bumper. Maybe they look a bit better, most definitely done so that they don't look like Boxster. The rear end has certainly lost it's sexiness, they should have put the GT3 wing on the rear instead of that odd-ball 75mph pop-up affair. The regular issue 996 is due for a power increase (maybe 315 or 320hp) next year, so hopefully they will give the Turbo another few ponies to differentiate. The only appreciable advantage to the 996 is interior space, as it is my much roomier than the 993. As far as the 3.9s to 60, with a clutch dump at 6000 revs, I think it might be possible. And the Boxster parts thing is a product of a healthy Porsche company (unlike 10 years ago).

Dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts