BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished up my touring swap. The stock motor was making icky chain slapping noises so I decided to just go ahead and swap motors, for an s62. Picked up a whole hoopty parted car and swapped the motor, trans, diff, and brakes to the people hauler. Its not done, still need a couple things including the shift boot plastic trim piece (the wagon was an auto so don't have it), and I have some coding to complete to get the dsc, steering wheel controls, seat memory, etc etc to work again. Next winter will probably pull the motor again and do a bunch of preventative maintenance things, just didn't have the time during the swap.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Wow, this is impressive! Really like the entire setup you've got, always been a fan of the e39 wagons. I'll be keeping an eye out for that around town. 5verWest is coming up, I'm sure they're would be a lot of people interested in that fine piece of machinery.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Damn that's an estate even I would drive!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Nice work on that //M5T Alpine White with 19" M-Pars (reps)
Any interior picture?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Job well done!! where do you find a garage that big ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks everyone! It's been a project thats for sure. When I saw this car for sale, even as the auto it started out as, I knew I had to have it. It's been one of my dream cars for quite some time. And now its gotten to a level I didn't plan or even dream of, it just happened.

Yeah its my friends barn that I did the work in. Either way, its huge and has a FANTASTIC foundation. At the same time we swapped an s50 into my old 318ti. Was a hectic 5 weeks. I had my stuff swapped over in 2 days, but couldn't get it to start for a couple more weekends (only worked on it saturday and a little bit on sundays). It was a super simple thing to figure out, but I was also helping with the ti swap.

I thought I had an interior pic, I'll snag one in a day or two. It's really nice. Grey sport interior, soooooo comfy and absolutely perfect for this car. I wouldn't even think of swapping for a different interior. Full power front seats including headrests (don't go down by themselves though.....).

·
Registered
301 Posts
Should have been an original option from the factory. Looks great! Go all out and put M5 badges on it. Reminds me of an M5 wagon conversion I saw in a euro-tuning magazine!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like my 540 badges...probably won't put any m5 specific badging on it anywhere. I do have an idea in my mind that will play itself out at some point in the near future. Should make it quietly unique and noticeable to BMW enthusiasts only.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Love love LOVE this!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally got my shift boot attached properly and a couple quick interior pics. Still coding left to do, apparently need a switch to m5 fuel pump and filter setup, have a leaky coolant hose that needs swapping, and other misc not a huge deal projects.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Very cool! I like the "no drama" approach. "Yeah, I decided to go ahead a swap the motor out - here's the finished project except for a few odds and ends.":applause:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts