BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the situation. My lease ended on my 2002 M5 in June. I have a deposit down on a new M5. My dealer is promising early winter delivery. I leased a 2005 M3 to bridge the gap. A co-worker of mine is planning to take over the lease when my M5 arrives. Here's the problem. I'm beginning to think I may want to wait for an M6. Every review of the M6 I've read clearly states that it is superior to the M5 in just about every category.
I'm sure there are others that are in a similar position - get the M5 or wait an additional 6 months and get an M6? I'm leaning towards the M6. Opinions?

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
I disagree with your impression that the media sees the M6 as superior to the M5 "in just about every category." The M6 does appear to be marginally faster, although not by enough of a margin to be the deciding factor to most. The two cars have identical engines and transmissions. The M6 incorporates some additional weight-saving technology, such as a carbon fiber roof and lighter wheels. The M6 is reportedly "edgier," while the M5 is more balanced between sport and comfort. The M5 offers the benefit of two extra doors and three extra seats that can accomodate adults. All indications are that the M6 will be significantly more expensive. I think it would be hard for anyone to pronounce the M6 to be significantly superior in performance. The deciding factors for most, I suspect, will be the differences in appearance, passenger room, and price.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I would agree the M6 is superior to the M5 in every performance category, albeit marginally. If you intend to track the car, certainly the M6 will run faster laptimes.

I struggled with the same decision - I actually switched from the M5 to the M6 list, then switched back again (my dealer was very understanding, and gave me back my #1 spot).

I think the M6 is better performing, and better looking both inside and out. I guess it will cost some $20K more. In the end, I made my decision based on what type of car I really wanted to drive.

For me, the "GT touring" really doesn't make a lot of sense. If I want a really fun to drive sports car, I'd get a 911S. Or maybe even an Elise. The M5 represents the pinnacle of a sports sedan for me, and that's really what I want. I really like the fact that the M5 doesn't attract a lot of attention from the average person.

So basically, I would just ask, do you want a "GT touring" car, a "sports car", or a "sports sedan". If you want the "GT touring" car, then the M6 is without a doubt the best car in the world for you.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You both make very good points. I'm in no way knocking the M5, in fact, I'm as big a fan as anyone of the "wolf in sheeps clothing" aspect of the car. What I find appealing with the M6 is the slightly more exotic look without the over the top "look at me" you get with some of the other exotic cars.

The price is not really a huge factor although I tend to agree that the M5 really looks like a bargain when you compare it to the M6.

The extra 6 month wait may, in the end, be the deciding factor. With that said, the idea of picking up a new M5 in the middle of a January snow storm is not exactly appealing.

·
Registered
147 Posts
If I were you I would wait for the ///M6.If ///M5 is bargain so is ///M6 for a high-perfomance coupe.
If you need four door simply go for ///M5 if you don't ///M6 rocks.cherrsagai

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
All of the above is true. So I would recommend you evaluate this along the following lines. Assuming the dollars are not at issue, consider styling, vehicle layout, how you will use it and how "special" (define it as you want) you want this purchase to be. Blend in a little better+a little more practical+better value= M5. Stand out a little more+a little more "special" feeling but a little less practical= M6. I like them both! :D

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
2 door/4 door is not a big issue. I have 2 young kids so I suppose I would give a slight edge to 4 doors. My kids generally ride in my wife's SUV.

Does anyone have any idea what the production numbers will be for the M6 vs. M5?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Go for the M6! I mean if your family usuallly travels in a SUV, then get the M6 for yourself as your own toy! I mean both are excellent machines, but the M6 is "more sporty" and looks like a freakin' stealth fighter in carbon black, so money was not a big factor, and I could live with 2 doors, I would go with the M6!

P.S., if you go with the M6, the Indianeoplis Red ext. w/ Black Leather and Aluminum Trim is a great color combination ^^! kinggf :cheers: :1: :noSMG: :flag: :wroom:

·
Registered
766 Posts
Two door vs four door is only part of the story. You really can't subject anyone over 14 to the back seats of the 6 for more than 10 or 15 minutes, unless you're so short you can run the seat all the way forward. Also, apparently rear headroom is a problem not just legroom.

In our family,(of three) when we go out to dinner, it's the M5 that's driven, not our wagon or the G35 coupe. Since I look to drive what I like, having to drive something other than my M would be a problem for me. Just the perspective of someone that doesn't like to take my pleasure in small doses.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
tmacsilverm5 said:
2 door/4 door is not a big issue. I have 2 young kids so I suppose I would give a slight edge to 4 doors. My kids generally ride in my wife's SUV.

Does anyone have any idea what the production numbers will be for the M6 vs. M5?

My advice is not to underestimate the kid factor. I have had space problems in the rear seat of my M3 for years, and two of my three are under 5. The M3's rear seat is MUCH larger than the 6's. When I sat in a 645 and positioned the seat in a normal driving position, there simply was no space between the rear seat cushion and the back of my seat. I would discount the rear space issue only if you do not plan to have your kids ride in your car at all. We always take my wife's car when we all travel, and I am looking forward to driving the M5 on such occasions in the future.

·
Registered
95 Posts
MRichmond said:
My advice is not to underestimate the kid factor. I have had space problems in the rear seat of my M3 for years, and two of my three are under 5. The M3's rear seat is MUCH larger than the 6's. When I sat in a 645 and positioned the seat in a normal driving position, there simply was no space between the rear seat cushion and the back of my seat. I would discount the rear space issue only if you do not plan to have your kids ride in your car at all. We always take my wife's car when we all travel, and I am looking forward to driving the M5 on such occasions in the future.
Would second that having borrowed a 645. I'm 6' and to get comfortable meant my 5 year old having his feet up on the seat. The M5 has room for 4 adults.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm about 6'1" (and I generally put the driver's seat back almost as far as it will go) so I assume I will not be able to get both my kids into the back of the M6. That's definitely a negative. I certainly want to have the option of loading the entire family into my car.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
In real ,daily driving,there will be no discernible difference between the two.
M5 will be more practical though,while offerring identical performance.(a negligible advantage for the M6 on Track only)
Besides,I want the car now,not a year later...

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
absent said:
In real ,daily driving,there will be no discernible difference between the two.
M5 will be more practical though,while offerring identical performance.(a negligible advantage for the M6 on Track only)
Besides,I want the car now,not a year later...
I have to agree on the performance. Straight-line will be basically equivalent. I heard the better tracktimes of the M6 were mostly due to the 'track tires' it came with - the Pirelli Corsa's. These are not really 'road tires', and can't handle much water. I wonder how the M5 would do on tracktimes with these tires?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I'll echo the comments on space in the M5. Especially since performance is so close between the two, that is the way I'd go.. IF there was a manual.

I was shocked at how small the rear seat in the 6 is, hard to believe a car that much larger than the 3 could have a seat so small. I don't think my kids will have a hard time in the back of the M3, but the M6 is very questionable.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
vndkshn said:
I was shocked at how small the rear seat in the 6 is, hard to believe a car that much larger than the 3 could have a seat so small. I don't think my kids will have a hard time in the back of the M3, but the M6 is very questionable.
Exactly! It is incredible to me that the 6 has so little rear seat room, especially when compared to the 3. In addition, the 6 has only two seating positions in the rear, although it would be impossible to get a third person in there anyway. I would not recommend a 6 to anyone who anticipates having humans of any age in the rear seat with any regularity.

How your kids and you will deal with the 3's back seat depends on your kids' size, your height, and your tolerance for having your seat back kicked.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I was excited about the 6 before I saw its back seat. I figured that since it was bigger than the 3, it would have more room in the back than the 3. I was dismayed to discover the opposite and quickly lost interest.

Tom

1 - 20 of 25 Posts