BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... first of all i want to say that my gearbox is shifting exactly like it was before. A couple of days ago something very strange started happening...The problem happens when i'm in 2ND gear. Above 6000prm during moderate/hard acceleration: "BLING" "transmission Fault, drive moderately" Sometimes is an orange cog, sometimes red and it disapears about 2-3 seconds after the bling. The car never stops accelerating, and gearchanges occur normally. It only happens in 2ND gear and in those conditions ...

I think its some sensor gone bad or something, or maybe my 2nd gear is messed up??????? I can duplicate the "BLING" almost everytime i want... what do you guys think? has this ever happened to anyone?... im calling the dealer tommorow to see if they can chime in... TIA.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hummm.....I don't know, hopefully some software malfunction and nothing else. Get the techs to work on it tomorrow. Good luck!

·
Registered
839 Posts
So... first of all i want to say that my gearbox is shifting exactly like it was before. A couple of days ago something very strange started happening...The problem happens when i'm in 2ND gear. Above 6000prm during moderate/hard acceleration: "BLING" "transmission Fault, drive moderately" Sometimes is an orange cog, sometimes red and it disapears about 2-3 seconds after the bling. The car never stops accelerating, and gearchanges occur normally. It only happens in 2ND gear and in those conditions ...

I think its some sensor gone bad or something, or maybe my 2nd gear is messed up??????? I can duplicate the "BLING" almost everytime i want... what do you guys think? has this ever happened to anyone?... im calling the dealer tommorow to see if they can chime in... TIA.
Have you had your steering angle sensor replaced? If not, that could be triggering the fault.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Dealer doesn't have a clue to what's going on (i called them Saturday) Sunday they're closed... i'm taking the car in on monday....

·
Registered
2,881 Posts

what year is your car?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Doesnt have the original battery does it? If so replace it, whether or not it checks out correctly or not. An old battery under load can do weird things. Replace and all your issues may be resolved.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Do you have access to a code reader? Scan it, or get the codes from the dealer and post them up.
This board can be a much better resource to you if you can provide a bit more info.
(Whoops... you have more than 600 posts... I didn't need to tell you that. ...Open mouth, insert foot...)

·
Registered
136 Posts
The dealership will NEVER be an easy fix...I was told I'd be looking at hydro replacement or tranny with the errors I was getting... After a lot of research on my end I discovered the 2005 battery in my car was the issue, even though it never showed a sign of weakness...That's why I'll probably sound like a broke record for a while on these SMG issues, because electrical issues can cause any fault to occur. A hard down shift an increased rpm could have put a weird electrical pulse causing the transmission code. 60-08 cars have original batteries that are 5-8 years old. With all the rest of the electronics we plug in our cars, there is destined to be electrical anomalies...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
9 Participants
m5rbk
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing