BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys. I was origianlly planning to send this as a pm to the man himself but halfway through thought better of it and decided that perhaps a public thread where others if they wanted could show public thanks in the one place would be a good idea.

I know there are many many knowledgable members on here and i don't want to belittle anybodyd efforts on this great forum.

However, i am amazed at Raikkus time and devotion not only to do these tasks on numerous Bests, but to share the knowledge with many many DIY guides that i'm sure a lot of us find useful. So............

Raikku.

Theres a lot of informative info that you dish out either through hepling on other threads but mainly on your DIY's.

Many a Beast owner has been helped by yourself, and although whenever you post a DIY thread up you are bound to get a lot of people - myself included - asking for help and you feel as if you have to go over and over and over again what must feel like the same points i can honestly say from my point of view anyway, its really invaluable. I guesa lot of us just want to try and envisage the job as much in our head as possible before taking it on. Like everything else, probably once you get your hands dirty it all becomes clear

Even though i have undertaken very little in the way of "common" issues like the rod bearings and cam timing etc etc, i am now 3 days away from picking up my daily driver and hopefully over the next few months i can make inroads into the rod bearings etc etc, but without your guides i don't think i would have tried to tackle many of the projects i will now gladly undertake.

You have made me realise that under the skin of the E39 M5, its realy just another load of nuts and bolts that the enthusiast/home mechanic can still do most things on.

So, from me, a massive THANKS

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
Guys. I was origianlly planning to send this as a pm to the man himself but halfway through thought better of it and decided that perhaps a public thread where others if they wanted could show public thanks in the one place would be a good idea.

I know there are many many knowledgable members on here and i don't want to belittle anybodyd efforts on this great forum.

However, i am amazed at Raikkus time and devotion not only to do these tasks on numerous Bests, but to share the knowledge with many many DIY guides that i'm sure a lot of us find useful. So............

Raikku.

Theres a lot of informative info that you dish out either through hepling on other threads but mainly on your DIY's.

Many a Beast owner has been helped by yourself, and although whenever you post a DIY thread up you are bound to get a lot of people - myself included - asking for help and you feel as if you have to go over and over and over again what must feel like the same points i can honestly say from my point of view anyway, its really invaluable. I guesa lot of us just want to try and envisage the job as much in our head as possible before taking it on. Like everything else, probably once you get your hands dirty it all becomes clear

Even though i have undertaken very little in the way of "common" issues like the rod bearings and cam timing etc etc, i am now 3 days away from picking up my daily driver and hopefully over the next few months i can make inroads into the rod bearings etc etc, but without your guides i don't think i would have tried to tackle many of the projects i will now gladly undertake.

You have made me realise that under the skin of the E39 M5, its realy just another load of nuts and bolts that the enthusiast/home mechanic can still do most things on.

So, from me, a massive THANKS
Ditto in all respects. Thanks, Raikku.

--Peter

·
Registered
524 Posts
wonder if he'd fancy a few nights in Liverpool?

Reactions: vantaam5

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes indeed, I wish I had someone with his skills who could come take care of everything in one fell swoop.

It actually makes ownership of the M5 less fun since I'm not technically inclined and can't do anything more than brakes and oil on my own!

I could learn easily by being shown, but I'm too worried to try to tackle something on my own fearing I'll do more harm than good.

·
Registered
642 Posts
What a well deserved thread. Most impactful member of 2010- Raikku. Sure you help and selflessly post valuable information that helps us all, but without your vision and drive to make the car better, we would not have Alpha-N, new intakes, 4-2-1 headers etc. Well done.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays everyone.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Ever consider moving to Denver?.........House 2 doors up from me is for sale.......and I would love to have you as a neighbor.

Thanks for all the "DIY'S" and PLEASE keep them coming.

Randy

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Vantaa is not only knowledgable, but also he is willing to share his intensive experience with us without showing off or arrogance.
Hats off to a great member..

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Gentlemen,I am honestly and deeply moved!

Thank you all for your kind comments!
Thank you Gustav for giving us this board!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am proud to be a part of this fantastic community!

I have never been on a forum that has such great,nice and helpful members!
Think this sets us apart from many car forums out there!

We share all the same passion,our beasts:D

The S62 has overtaken much of my life,being either on the board or under one.
For me personally,it would not be possible to own one and keep it in perfect working order if I would not do it myself.
I know many of you feel the same way and can turn a wrench,this is why I post the DIYs...
For less mechanical inclined people it is also useful,I think,to see what is actually inside that monster under the hood and how it works.

One of the most memorable things regarding this board was when Mike S. from Texas was here in Helsinki,while Sal and I rebuilt his M5 and we met up with finnish board members.About 10 M5s parked outside the garage,everyone chatting with everybody,no matter which personal or social background we all have.

Or last saturday,working with burnout 187 on a member's car and chatting,then get a phone call from a member from Dubai,the a member from the UK....

Think what I want to say is we are a community that is world wide,no matter who or what we are,we help and share everything related to our beloved S62s...

Guys,

Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!

And be safe out there,

Raikku

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
One of the most memorable things regarding this board was when Mike S. from Texas was here in Helsinki,while Sal and I rebuilt his M5 and we met up with finnish board members.About 10 M5s parked outside the garage,everyone chatting with everybody,no matter which personal or social background we all have.
I'm jealous of Mike's visit and intend to visit soon!

--Peter

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
It was one of my most memorable moments too (My visit with Kumaran and Sal in London is a close second). In over 12 years of worldwide travel, I've never had a better time than I did during this last year when I was able to meet Raikku and all the Finnish contingent with Sal (again) as a bonus. Car people are car people, no matter where you are from. I hope to get back there in the future.

Merry Christmas, my friend!

I'm jealous of Mike's visit and intend to visit soon!

--Peter
You will not be disappointed, believe me. It was simply a fantastic time.

·
Registered
968 Posts
We are very lucky to have a someone so knowledgeable about the M5 & S62 and willing to share this knowledge with us all. There is no one I would trust more to tear down my engine M5 and rebuild it than Raikku! Great DIYs and pictures. One of the reasons along with Kumaran, Sal and so many others, that this is the best car forum on the Internet! A healthy. happy and safe New Year to all!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts