BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After waiting for sometime to hear what the deal is with this intake we have read about, I decided to e-mail gruppe m and ask them myself. Below is the e-mail I received.

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your inquiry.
Information on E60 M5 is here.
http://www.gruppem.co.jp/news_en/index_en.html

Road test deta------------------------------------------
A/T mode 0km/h - 210km/h
ORIGINAL : 17.93s
RAM AIR SYSTEM : 17.06s

M/T hold 120km/h - 210km/h
ORIGINAL : 16.06s
RAM AIR SYSTEM : 14.83s
---------------------------------------------------------

You can order from GruppeM official website.
http://gruppem.co.jp/onlinestore_en/index.php?main_page=index

Please do in the beginning and do Login to our Online Store.
I present it to you discount coupon ticket.

We are happy to learn that your interested our products.
Thank you.

GruppeM Inc, Asami Kato

What do you guys think? Don't our cars go 0-200kmh in 13.0 seconds?

·
Registered
930 Posts
But it looks cool right?

·
Registered
421 Posts
I don't understand why most Japanese aftermarket loves to dyno their car versus the speed of the car not the speed of the engine. It really doesn't tell much in terms of performance gains.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
If that is all the information they sent you, it smells like a crock to me. First, I find it highly unlikely that an intake will decrease 75 mph-130 mph acceleration by well over a second. Second, these types of claims without verified dyno tests are not credible. Third, I don't see a description of how exactly this system captures colder air than the stock system. There doesn't seem to be any alternative location from which to transmit air to the engine.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Bend over here it comes...good looks and more bullsh-t.....don't buy it, if they don't have specific horsepower gains it's for looks only....If you have a see through hood and get off on that all chrome and no go stuff, go for it !!! sorry, I get pissed at parts makers who mislead the public, because they don't know any better.....Im trying to help the guys on the forum....

·
Registered
445 Posts
for $2000+ just for looks is ridiculous. Wonder when AA will be coming out with their CAI?

·
Registered
290 Posts
SANguru said:
for $2000+ just for looks is ridiculous. Wonder when AA will be coming out with their CAI?
More like $2400.00 including freight from Japan!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
FWIW, K&N's intake should be formally announced at SEMA at the end of the month. Dyno results will be from my car. Car is going in to them Oct. 20-23 for final fitment and dyno with no charcoal filters vs. K&N intakes. Hopefully I'll be leaving there with them installed so I can give you some butt-o-meter opinions.

Edit: Oh yeah, if they're standard they should be around $500. If they build, or only make carbon fiber heat shields, may be more like $1,000. Still MUCH less than the Gruppe M, but probably not as pretty.

·
Registered
34 Posts
K&N Intakes

JamesInLV,

Very interested in hearing about your results with the new intakes - please give us your feedback and send pics!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
EasyCoaster...check out the posts both here and in the group buy forum. Lots of information has been posted in the past month+ by various people, including my impressions and the numbers posted at SEMA. Intakes should be available any day now.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hope you are right James. I am thinking about them way too much. I just want to purchase them and get this weight off my shoulder so that I can relax a little :)

·
2,481 Posts
MRichmond said:
If that is all the information they sent you, it smells like a crock to me. First, I find it highly unlikely that an intake will decrease 75 mph-130 mph acceleration by well over a second. Second, these types of claims without verified dyno tests are not credible. Third, I don't see a description of how exactly this system captures colder air than the stock system. There doesn't seem to be any alternative location from which to transmit air to the engine.
The more important aspect they need to think about is resonance. Im not exactly sure whether this is a box or a cone, but I doubt they have really considered the resonance criteria.

Never believe that it magically picks up cold air. I guess maybe the air is fresher? Its not colder, stock airboxes pick up ambient temperature air from outside of the engine compartment anyways.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
EBuyuk said:
I hope you are right James. I am thinking about them way too much. I just want to purchase them and get this weight off my shoulder so that I can relax a little :)
+1 i feel your pain theres nothing like a toy you can't have..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts