BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi.
I own a '01 silver M5 with NO sunroof.I have purchased a home link kit including panel on ebay and am awaiting delivery.Does anybody know if all M5's are pre wired for this extra?
Also,the car has a standard Buisness radio with tape deck and boot changer.If I purchase a BMW OEM 16.9 widescreen Nav head unit, will it be an easy upgrade?Is the car already pre wired?

I have the car about 7 mths now and it is the best car I have ever driven.The performance of any supercar with the praticality of a saloon car.

Hoping to use the forum more.

John
Ireland

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Since when did the E39 m5 come with no moon roof? and no Home link?

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Sunroofs/moonroofs were optional in most European markets.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trust me...In Ireland we don't have the the great weather of the rest of the world and a sunroof or moonroof as you call it was, and still is, an optional extra on all cars.Priced anywhere between €1000 - €1500.
As for the home link?? According to most people I talked to it was only an option in the states also.

John

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
John,

I have an '03 M5 and mine did not come with the homelink standard but it was prewired so I just ordered the kit from the dealer. I am pretty sure most of the E39 M5's came prewired for homelink, it just seems that certain markets it was not standard. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Your welcome. Enjoy the beast. :cheers:

·
Registered
198 Posts
John, I just went through the same thing, although I have a sunroof. There should be a panel in the headliner that you can pull down. You'll find a impression in the plastic that is the same size as the homelink unit. You have to cut the headliner (carefully), and carve out the space where the homelink unit goes. There is a wire sitting up in the headliner that the homelink plugs into. Once thats done, just snap it in and you're good to go.

Good luck,
Brian

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Brian,

But there is no panel, the headlining is all one piece, but I have ordered a panel with the Homelink.Should be straight forward fitting it.I have removed the interior light but can't find any loose wires/loom.Maybe when I pull down the headlining I will find it.

John.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts