BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fellow M5er's,

I was having a wheel straightened today and while lowering the car back down I noticed a 6" section of belt material sticking out of the oil drain flap. It was not the entire width of the belt just about 6" long and about 1/16 of an inch wide. So I have a look in the engine compartment and see that the belt for the alternator, etc (right side of engine while facing it from the front) is missing one of the "grooves" of the belt. The car has evosport pulleys so I can get the belt at any auto parts store in the morning.

I was wondering if there are any tricks to replacing the belt? I am very mechanicaly inclined and service all of my cars except for engine re-builds. This is the first car I have owned with a serpentine belt so any help would be great.

Thanks,

Jordan

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
This is quite an easy job. Just make sure to draw a diagram of the belt direction around the pulleys before removing it for reference. There is a tensionor on the lower right of the engine block that is easily reach from underneath the vehicle. Quite a simple replacement that you should have no issues with replacing. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
sorry i'm confused about which belt is which

after installing evo pulleys, kept thowing the aircon belt at high RMP -- changed to next smaller belt and all seems to be well

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This belt does not go to the ac. Looks like just the crank pulley, Alt, Fan, and PS pump. Job took all of 30 minutes. Very easy to do.

Thanks for the help.

Jordan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts