BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Here's the rub: Got the beast last May. Had about 45k miles on it at the time. Now about 51k miles. 2002 in Sterling Gray over Black Nappa Heritage with Full Leather, brushed aluminum trim, M Audio, E60 M5 shifter lever (not 545i or 550i like I have done in my 2001 540i) and lucked out by getting extra set of wheels and tires (OE Style 65 in immaculate shape), car cover and full maintenance history. I used to work at a BMW dealership and knew both owners of the car. I am the third owner and they were both 45-plus year old gentleman who are also physicians.

Currently in storage and I miss it dearly. Damn I hate New England (primarily Maine) winters. When the roads clear it should be a great year. Planned for this year are Bilstein PSS9s, Dinan software/ CAI/ MAFs, Meisterschaft or Eisenmann exhaust and TC Designs rear anti-sway bar mounting brackets. Nothing outlandish, just all right things that will help dial in a vehicle that I am already extremely fortunate to own. Enjoy the pictures. Some of you may recognize one of them from Bavarian Autosport's 2010 Photo Contest. It was voted runner up for "Artistic Merit."

Attachments

·
Registered
832 Posts
Nice.

Tell me about those tips. They're super super shiny. I like shiny. :applause:

·
Registered
905 Posts
Very nice! Sorry I didn't see your car in the catalog -- the winner must have been good!

Just curious -- why a M5 and a 540? Seem very similar, with the M5 superior of course.

·
Registered
647 Posts
E60 M5 shifter lever (not 545i or 550i like I have done in my 2001 540i)...
Welcome and thanks for the pics!

Is the E60 M5 shifter even shorter than the 545i's?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Looking good

·
Registered
279 Posts
Sorry for got to say, love the colour !

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys. Thank you all for the nice comments. The color wasn't my original choice if I was to go out and buy one. The price, ownership history and condition of the vehicle were all motivating factors in my purchase. Now, I wouldn't change it for another color at all. I really love what I have and know every day that I am very fortunate to own what I own. To answer some questions, the exhaust is factory and the tips were hand polished by me with Turtle Wax Chrome Polish. I use this on my cymbals (I am a drummer) as well and over all other products I have used, this cuts through the oxidization and debris there is.

The M5 still has the kid brother (540i) around because that was the first BMW I ever rode in. A friend's father owned one and I fell in love. It was the first major vehicle purchase of mine and sort of a nod to my late brother who had told me at one point that he wanted one after having the opportunity to drive that aforementioned vehicle. It holds a sentimental type of value for me and they each have their own purpose and give me a different type of gratification when I drive them.

The house in the background for a number of these pictures is a run down farm that I used to pass every day on my way to and from work. Out of sheer coincidence on my drive home one evening, I had my camera and the sunlight was just overcast enough that I thought it created a good contrast between the house, car, field and the setting as a whole. The house portion has since been torn down, leaving only the barn.

The E60 M5 shifter does feel different than the E60 550i shifter that I installed in the 540i. I can't pinpoint whether or not it is shorter, but it feels a bit notchier-- but not resistant to engage in gear ever as the gearbox in both M5 and 540i have been changed to RedLine and are not driven in cold weather. The difference could also be attributed to the shift knobs that are on the cars. The M5 (currently) retains the factory knob with the integrated boot, as pictured in the first shot--- but hadn't yet been changed when that picture was taken and the 540i has a Z4M illuminated leather shift knob. Both will eventually get the illuminated ZHP knob and UUC DSSR.

Here are some more pics of the M5 and one of the 540i.

Attachments

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the 540i and M5 are a variety, especially when I throw the daily beater Volvo 740 Turbo into the mix. Haha.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Very nice, love the color on the M5.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did a personal "photo shoot" with it recently in front of an abandoned industrial building. Will post pictures soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts