BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All

I just received a tip for cleaning leather and after trying both Auto Glym and a domestic lounge leather cleaner I had given up. I am getting a bit of work done on my seats and replacing the leather on my steering wheel and while I was complaining to the trimmer (an old contact from many years ago) he said just use some Lux pure soap flakes disolved in warm water......rushed home after spending $6 on a good size box of them, grabbed a bucket and scrubbing brush.....holy crap batman what a great result and half hour later it was all done. I will never buy another leather cleaner again!! Mine is a black leather interior with grey panels and was looking dull and tired plus not to mention grim

Perhaps the more knowledgeable M5 owners already know this. I also had the chance for a spin in a 2006 V10 M5 SMG.....damn I now really appreciate how @#$%^ good the E39 M5 is and no offence intended to E60 owners but give me a 6 speed manual any day

Reactions: zaid and ben5

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Nice work. Did you use something to moisturize the leather after that to keep it from drying out?

Yeah, I drove a manual E60 M5. No fun until 5k rpms. I can drive the E39 spirited, never going above 5k rpms, and that's important to me because it's my daily drive and there's lots of traffic in the D.C. area where I live.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
glad to help

I used a good quality leather cream and will apply some more tomorrow. I just mixed about a handful of flakes in about 2-3 litres of warm water then used a scrubbing brush and at first it doesn't seem to do much then it starts to lift the dirt and then I wiped over with a fairly moist micro fibre and it looked a million bucks with the back seats looking like new. I can't wait to have the repairs on the front seats along with a slick new hand sewn steering wheel recover.

I am not sure but I think the M5 E60 didnt get sold here with a 6 speed manual but I felt the car I was in was noisy and sounded a bit agricultural so perhaps it was just the particular car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts