BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my friend took his '04 Cooper S to the dealership last Monday to get an alignment issue fixed on his car. He got a call back later in the evening stating that there had been an accident in his car when the tech was testing the wheel bearing and lost control. The result I have attached as a picture.

Of course, you could have colored my friend and I as being quite concerned because it was the dealer's and the dealer's insurance's discretion as to what they were going to offer him. Most dealerships would have left him high and dry but he just talked with the general manager and they gave him two options:

1) Brand new '05 Cooper S spec'ed the way he wants, and all he has to pay is tax and title.

2) Refund of the full amount of his purchase price from Aug. 2003.

Now THAT'S how you run a good business. The dealership?

Mini of Peabody, Peabody Massachusetts

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
But wait a minute, isn't he still out tax+licencing, either way? So one way or another (if Massachusetts taxes are anything like California taxes) he's out about $2000-2500.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It actually came out to $1300. Not bad to get a brand new car a year and a half into ownership.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Great story!
IMHO, the dealer made the best of a very bad situation. This kind of screw-up would skunk business a bunch - he'd be flamed on multiple message boards, maybe even end up in a local paper. For approximately $25K, he converts a very disgruntled customer, gets a bunch of good press, and he'll fix the old Cooper and sell it for $15K to offset his insurance hit. Still a lot of money out of his pocket, but a great stand-up move like this also has the benefit of showing your organization that they should do the right thing.

I just wouldn't want to be the tech who cracked it up. Sad to say, my bet is he was out the door that afternoon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts