BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so a little backstory, during normal driving the iDrive display flickers and it resets. When it came back on, there was no sound. 5 or so minutes later, it shuts back off again and I get various warnings on my hud (abs, traction control, etc... and a red cog). The SMG also starts shifting extremely rough in 2nd/3rd gear. After a trip to my local indie mechanic, a few phone calls to mechanic friends, and some researching, I decide to replace both the alternator and battery. After doing that and getting the battery reprogrammed, the car failed the INPA adjustment procedures so I'm still getting the "Clutch Adjustment: Active" warning (more specifically, it's throwing back "Disengagement position outside tolerance"). Also the iDrive still won't boot up. The screen turns on and fades from black to rainbow streaks but that's about it. I want to go ahead and replace the clutch and release bearing, but I'm at a loss of what to do for the iDrive. I thought it might be a bad Micro Power Module, but everything I've found about replacement parts for it says it fits through 08/2005 production date only, nor can I find a diagram that shows where it's at on our beasts. I've been thinking of doing a CIC retrofit, but I want to try and at least get the CCC back working or at least isolate the problem as a faulty CCC unit. So, any suggestions? :confused:

(Sorry about the wall of text by the way)

(Also if anyone is in Hawaii, and would like to help me troubleshoot or can do any coding for the car, shoot me a PM!)

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think the MPM is in the trunk in what is the truncated spare wheel well. I' afraid I can't offer any more help than that. And check for signs of water ingress while you're there...

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Is it? I'll replace that then (as soon as I research how to do just that). What are some of the other signs of a failing slave cylinder?
Usually either this failure of adaptation or a large puddle of fluid under the car with an SMG error and failure to start.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, seeing as I (thankfully) have not had the latter happen to me, I guess I'll get to replacing it rather soonish. Do I need to pull out the transmission to get to it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually, scratch that last question. You've actually answered it once already .

If the fluid leakage is coming from the small (1/4" or so) drain hole between the engine and transmission bell housing, I would hazard a guess that it's SMG hydraulic fluid from the slave cylinder. It probably blew the o-ring between the piston and cylinder, that's not uncommon on these at higher mileage/age.

Cheap part, but the replacement is a pain. For some reason, Getrag decided the retaining nuts for the slave cylinder should be *inside* the bell housing on the GS7S47BG transmission, unlike any other transmission they built up to that point. You have to drop the transmission to replace it. Make sure the copper sealing rings that attach to the hydraulic pump block are replaced when it is disconnected or it can leak after.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts