BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
- ability to save & replay last 30, 60 or xxx mins of radio
- ability to overlay weather map over navigation map
- Plot car position over Google map rather than DVD map (I know requires internet connection; but why not)
- Make buttons more programmable than they are now - the * button is a start in the right direction but falls short. I want to program any steering column button to any function
- Larger, higher-res screen that supports internet browsing
- better in car 'help'
- ability to customize car options from a computer & then download them to car. Could use the key like a thumbdrive for this.

Finally & most important: car manufacturers to agree to a standard sized area in the center console that supports aftermarket electronic devices to be easily plugged in and out. This would promote development of a wide array of aftermarket gadgets. Navigation upgrades, gaming, text-messaging...

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
- ability to save & replay last 30, 60 or xxx mins of radio
- ability to overlay weather map over navigation map
- Plot car position over Google map rather than DVD map (I know requires internet connection; but why not)
- Make buttons more programmable than they are now - the * button is a start in the right direction but falls short. I want to program any steering column button to any function
- Larger, higher-res screen that supports internet browsing
- better in car 'help'
- ability to customize car options from a computer & then download them to car. Could use the key like a thumbdrive for this.

Finally & most important: car manufacturers to agree to a standard sized area in the center console that supports aftermarket electronic devices to be easily plugged in and out. This would promote development of a wide array of aftermarket gadgets. Navigation upgrades, gaming, text-messaging...
This is a car, not your office..........just drive it. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I agree with the OP that more versatility would be nice, but a lot of people already slammed BMW for getting too complex (11 different gearbox options...oh my!). My response to these old geezers is that if they can't adapt they need to get a benz or a lincoln town car and be done with it.

Many of the things that the OP suggested would not be hard to implement. I hope that BMW steps up and makes some large tech improvements in the next few years...

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
This is a car, not your office..........just drive it. :dunno:
I agree. People on the road are already too distracted by gadgets in their car. I can't imagine if on the way into work, Joe Smoe is trying to use their internet connection and fails to see the stopped traffic just ahead.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I agree. People on the road are already too distracted by gadgets in their car. I can't imagine if on the way into work, Joe Smoe is trying to use their internet connection and fails to see the stopped traffic just ahead.
The problem isn't the gadgets existence, but rather the irresponsibility of the people who don't know when is the appropriate time to use those gadgets.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
+2. However, knowing that this is the case and is unlikely to change, do you really want to increase the distractions in the average drivers' cars?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I like the ideas of programming the steering wheel buttons. I never use the "phone" button so I would like to program this to do something else.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts