BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,
Dave did my STOP TECH BBK install today. Watching the "PRO" do his craft & hard at work was great! Comments are welcome.
Thanks.
Robert :noSMG:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Most digital cameras should come with basic photo editing software. I know Nikons do. Find a resize menu item and choose 800x600. Be sure to "save as". I pick a name such as DSC001_small.jpg.

Looking forward to the pics no matter what size.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
In Photoshop and Photoshop LE this is the Image:Image Size command. Be sure to check "resample image" and then set the "width" or "height" (not both) in pixels. A good idea to then run Filter:Sharpen:Unsharp Mask - default settings of Amount: 100%, Radius: 1 and Threshold: 0 areabout right for imagesof this size.....

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Yes, then use the "save for web" command in the file menu and you can tell it "jpeg" and a %. Try around 40%. You will see you can make 640x480 images that are only ~45K. This feature will reduce the color gamut a lot but it is great for the web. If you are having a miserable go of it, email me the pics. If you want to do it, first email me at: [email protected] and then I will send you a better email address to send them to.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Mighty fine M5 you have. How do you like the brake performance?

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Great pics! Thanks. I want to also know how the car feels now.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Guys,
Well........ after the BBK install Dave and I went out for a drive (Dave was the driver) he was flying down some quiet park roadway, making the engine scream in fourth gear, then steping on the brake pedal very hard, slowing down the car, only to speed it up again.......
and then do the same slowing down procedure. At one point, Dave was leaving a large cloud of smoke, followed up by a trail of smoke coming off from the brakes.
This was the "bedding-in" process! It was wild!!!
I ready didn't get a chance to evaluate the BBK "feel" other than driving back home. Just when Dave completed doing the BBK install it started raining, so I called it a day and drove straight home. I'll know and feel out the BBK within the next several days.
Robert :cheers:

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I think I have to do this just to participate in the bedding in process! :1:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Thanks Fast for the pictures. The calipers look beautiful against the silver car, real nice. I don't doubt they preform as well as they look. Any spacers required?

Dave it's nice to see the boss gettin down and dirty. :biggrin: I like the old mats as a kneeling tool. I have a set of mats from an old Mercedes that are also padded on the back side with foam. Comfy on the old knees.

Joe

·
Registered
177 Posts
Looks really nice! Are those SSR GT3's that you have? If so, how do you like them? Have you had any problems? I'm thinking about getting them and from seeing your car, I think I'm going to have new brakes and rotors too!

Thanks,
Hugh

Oops! Nevermind, I believe they're RDSport wheels.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Joe...........

hudson said:
Thanks Fast for the pictures. The calipers look beautiful against the silver car, real nice. I don't doubt they preform as well as they look. Any spacers required?

Dave it's nice to see the boss gettin down and dirty. :biggrin: I like the old mats as a kneeling tool. I have a set of mats from an old Mercedes that are also padded on the back side with foam. Comfy on the old knees.

Joe
No spacer's needed. The offset is (if I recall correctly, 21 mm) and the rims were custom made by HRE.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hughallen99 said:
Looks really nice! Are those SSR GT3's that you have? If so, how do you like them? Have you had any problems? I'm thinking about getting them and from seeing your car, I think I'm going to have new brakes and rotors too!

Thanks,
Hugh

Oops! Nevermind, I believe they're RDSport wheels.
Hugh,
No......... they are NOT the SSR GT3 rims, nor are they the RDSPORT rims. These babies are new, made by HRE. Model/style # 447R. Forged rims!!!
I sold my RDSPORT rims, simply because they won't allow a BBK in the rear. The front's you can do.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
hughallen99 said:
Ouch! Robert - I told you someone was going to think you had SSR GT3 wheels if you replaced the HRE centercaps with the BMW roundels! ;)

These custom HRE wheels were incredible. Much lighter than the heavy SSR GT3 and much nicer finish. When they were mounted (without spacers) it's almost as if there were no wheels at all. These are so open that the brakes just seem to float there. I have never seen a better wheel for showing off a big brake kit. Despite being incredibly open, the wheels don't look spindly or weak at all. They look strong. HRE really outdid themselves with this design.

Although he didn't take any photos there, we did manage to sneak out and enjoy a really nice lunch at Panevino, outside in the garden. The M5 was still in pieces, so I took us in my wife's new Chrysler 300C.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Robert,

Red calipers? Comeone man....so played out. Honestly though they look great, just had to give you a rib shot there. The new rims look good though and while they do look a bit like GT3's, a sharp eye will see they are different.

Either Dave or youself can answer this one, how long was the install?

Dave..im such a slacker though, as i have been meaning to talk to you about the Lemans brakes on mine. Ill PM you about them.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
SC'dKellenersM5 said:
Either Dave or youself can answer this one, how long was the install?
We started around 9:30 AM and finished the bedding session around 6 PM. Subtract about 45 minutes driving to and from lunch and at least an hour at Panevino. Two of the 5mm rotor retaining screws were stripped and had to be drilled out. That added about 15 minutes per side. And the bedding was about 30 minutes, because we had to drive to and from the "bedding zone" in addition to just doing the repeated stops and there was the 10 minute cool-down cruise. A few breaks to return messages and drink some "fizzy" cans of Coke (inside joke) probably added another 30 minutes.

Doing the math, I would say the install took about 5 hours. With a lift, you could easily cut another 30 minutes off this process.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Thanks dave,

I noticed that you were not using a lift. I was unsure how long it took but i figured about an hour a corner or so.

thanks

·
Registered
837 Posts
Brakes look awesome, thanks for sharing, I think I need a better Job, my want list keeps growing, but my walet is remaining in its static state of empty, Josh

·
Registered
109 Posts
Richard in NC said:
Most digital cameras should come with basic photo editing software. I know Nikons do. Find a resize menu item and choose 800x600. Be sure to "save as". I pick a name such as DSC001_small.jpg.

Looking forward to the pics no matter what size.
If you use XP you can download a Powertoy from Microsoft that allows picture resizing in the folder, rather than having to use a separate program. It's pretty slick.

Ryan

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
rymansfla said:
If you use XP you can download a Powertoy from Microsoft that allows picture resizing in the folder, rather than having to use a separate program. It's pretty slick.
Can you provide a link to the download? I did a search on the Microsoft download page for "powertoy" and came up with 7 results, none of which provide the function you mentioned.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts