BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this chip on ebay that's supposed to produce 100hp and increase the MPG to 24 and it's only for about $30.00. Is that possible? :dunno:
Wouldn't an increase of HP would actually decrease the MPG? and wouldn't it go for more than 30 bucks?

The seller had over 150 positive reviews all claiming that this chip does what it's supposed to.

So, has anyone tryed it? Any comments on this and would it hurt my baby if i install it?

Please advice.

F.J

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
That'd be awesome if it would work, but there's no way. I think there was a thread about this a while back. You're logic seems mostly appropriate ab ^ hp, decrease mpg ...
I wouldn't risk it, that $30 could end up costing you > $20k if something happens to the engine from it. Just my opinion...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That'd be awesome if it would work, but there's no way. I think there was a thread about this a while back. You're logic seems mostly appropriate ab ^ hp, decrease mpg ...
I wouldn't risk it, that $30 could end up costing you > $20k if something happens to the engine from it. Just my opinion...
I certainly agree with you, but what's making me even consider it is the 150 positve feedback the seller got. I mean, if it did do what it claimed to, wouldn't the seller be getting negative feedback?

I don't know. It's very tempting though.:M5launch:

But thanks for all your input :cheers:

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
They could have sold anything to get that rating. If it were that easy major tuners would have accomplished it a long time ago.

·
Registered
917 Posts
They could have sold anything to get that rating. If it were that easy major tuners would have accomplished it a long time ago.
You would be surprised the lengths people go to create fake positive feedback on ebay etc.

There are entire cults of people (sort of like pyramid schemes) where instead of sending a dollar, you pay the higher ups with ebay feedback. Watch out.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I would not buy a performance part for $30 to put on a 95k BMW. But thats just me. If you spent that much on your car, you can surely afford quality parts.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I came across this chip on ebay that's supposed to produce 100hp and increase the MPG to 24 and it's only for about $30.00. Is that possible? :dunno:
Wouldn't an increase of HP would actually decrease the MPG? and wouldn't it go for more than 30 bucks?

The seller had over 150 positive reviews all claiming that this chip does what it's supposed to.

So, has anyone tryed it? Any comments on this and would it hurt my baby if i install it?

Please advice.

F.J
for $30... i was thinking potato chip :hihi:

·
Registered
311 Posts
I purchased 2 chips and they work great. Put 1 in each Map. I'm getting 30 mpg and its faster than ever.

If your interested in land in Rio Mexico I have 1000 acres to sell.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
for $30... i was thinking potato chip :hihi:
I purchased 2 chips and they work great. Put 1 in each Map. I'm getting 30 mpg and its faster than ever.

If your interested in land in Rio Mexico I have 1000 acres to sell.
Ok, well, I really have to call you guys on this one.

In effect, you've neglected to mention that your references were to Ruffles, not the run-of-mill Lays chips. And as we all know, those ridges add cost. So please, clarity in the future gentlemen. Thanks.

:hihi:

·
Registered
1,247 Posts

Please advice.

F.J
Trust me what ever that person is selling it's impossible to achieve 100hp for $30. For the past years, well reputable tuners have been upgrading the ECU and nothing came close to cost / hp. In fact the latest ECU upgrade from RPI / Powership delieverd a stunning +15whp and that's a breakthrough.

I advise you to stay away from such similar products as eventually when your engine breaks down, it will certainly cost you a couple of grands. If you wanna play you gotta pay.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts