BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did some googling and searching through the interwebs and can't seem to find any DIY for evaporator coil replacement. Is it because nobody has had to do it or because it's somewhat straightforward? If I end up replacing mine I'll write something up but in the mean time is there any info out there on the procedure? I'm assuming it's basically take off the entire center console, take off the entire dash, replace with new O-rings, button everything back up, purge and re-charge the system?

I did manage to find this... and if this is really how much you have to disassemble then to hell with it and I can see why not many have done it. I'll just give her a re-charge! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnw3H8wX_Jk

·
Registered
78 Posts
Oy. Wrong forum. :)

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
That is really what you have to do. If you get that far into the dash you might as well change the heater core and the blower fan.

The expansion valve is pretty easy to replace. Why do you suspect the evaporator?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RAO, I can see dye leaking out of the drains underneath the car, so I'm assuming it's coming from deep within the beast. The last recharge lasted over 1 year so it's gotta be a really tiny leak.

·
Registered
631 Posts
If I may ask...today when I hit "max AC" it usually comes on like an artic blast and today it was cold but the fan was not cranking it.

I wonder if my "resistor" is on it's way out. My 530i faded very fast a month ago and had to replace it but it never came on "mid-ish" it was all on or never worked.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts