BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

997S v. M5

2K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Erik 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I have an allocation for a 997S to be built around November and January delivery. I have always wanted a new 911 and really like the car a lot. Ihave driven it twice and it is a beautiful car and lots of history and racing and clubs to interact with and encompass the ownership experience.

The reason I'm posting is that I currently have a C55 which I simply love. It is a solid, fast, stealthy car with no drama and lots of speed, comfort and utility. I do miss the edge of an all out sports car and though I really appreciate a well sorted auto transmission, I would love another manual or to try out the next gen. SMG.

I realize for the price of the well appointed 997S I can get, well I could pay for an M5 if in fact I could get my hands on one. The M5 would be all that the C55 offer in terms of comfort, speed and utility while giving me back some of the edge the C55 lacks and granting me a bit more control (and fun) with the SMG. The M5 should be substantially quicker as well, at least as quick as the 997S yes?

How hard will it be to get my hands on an M5 and based on your experiences, would you pass on a purpose built sportscar like the 997 for the M5. Obviously the buck stops with me, looking for some feedback if any of you made similar decisions. My wife has a 7 series and there will always be some kind of uber sedan for the family in the garage, this will be my personal transport which is driven 85% of the time with only me in the car. Thanks. Your opinions are appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Douge said:
Hey guys. I have an allocation for a 997S to be built around November and January delivery. I have always wanted a new 911 and really like the car a lot. Ihave driven it twice and it is a beautiful car and lots of history and racing and clubs to interact with and encompass the ownership experience.

The reason I'm posting is that I currently have a C55 which I simply love. It is a solid, fast, stealthy car with no drama and lots of speed, comfort and utility. I do miss the edge of an all out sports car and though I really appreciate a well sorted auto transmission, I would love another manual or to try out the next gen. SMG.

I realize for the price of the well appointed 997S I can get, well I could pay for an M5 if in fact I could get my hands on one. The M5 would be all that the C55 offer in terms of comfort, speed and utility while giving me back some of the edge the C55 lacks and granting me a bit more control (and fun) with the SMG. The M5 should be substantially quicker as well, at least as quick as the 997S yes?

How hard will it be to get my hands on an M5 and based on your experiences, would you pass on a purpose built sportscar like the 997 for the M5. Obviously the buck stops with me, looking for some feedback if any of you made similar decisions. My wife has a 7 series and there will always be some kind of uber sedan for the family in the garage, this will be my personal transport which is driven 85% of the time with only me in the car. Thanks. Your opinions are appreciated.
I think your main problem will be getting an M5 in the next year or so. Can you wait 12-18 months? My dealer has a 2 year waiting list at MSRP. Now probably some of the people will drop off, but figure 12-18 months at least if you want to pay list. I would first make my decision on what my timing is. If you have no problem waiting that long, or you're willing to pay a premium to get an earlier car, then you can look into the specifics. Otherwise, sounds like the 997S is your car.

Of course, if you can wait, then there's the 997 C4S, then there's the Cayman S...

#3 ·
I paid $5k over msrp approximately 2 weeks ago . week 37 build (mid sept) mid oct end of oct delivery I wasnt on any lists at my dealer. Apparently they took a written list without any deposits. they didnt even know that build dates were avialable

PM me for details if you want.

#5 · (Edited)
As you know, the 997S and M5 are 2 entirely different cars. One is a thoroughbred sports car, and the other is the ultimate luxury sport sedan. The driving experiences are very different. I've owned several Carreras and they offer the most connected driving experience you can get from a car that can also be a daily driver. As awesome as the E60 M5 sounds (I haven't driven one yet), it is not a sports car--it's a 4,000 lb sedan--but has other attributes that the Carrera lacks, like a usable back seat, 4 doors, and various creature comforts (including a much quieter cabin). So you really need to decide what you're looking for in a car.

Given the pent up demand for the M5, if you're really on the fence, perhaps you should get the 997S, get on a list for an M5 at MSRP, and probably in 1.5 - 2 years you'll be able to get one, and at that point you can decide whether to keep the Carrera of get the M5.

#8 ·
Gustav said:
Alot fasyer than the 997S. We are talkning 13,5 s to 200 km/h vs. 16,5 s to 200 km/h. ALOT of carlengths.
Indeed, Gustav. Here's a link to an interesting encounter between the two cars in South Africa:

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=130792&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

Mike, the driver of the 997S, owns a vast exotic stable. Thus, he doesn't hold back on his comments regarding the Porsche's performance in comparisson to the BMW. Interesting read imo.

Regards to all!

#10 · (Edited)
test said:
I'd say if you dont need 4 doors get 997s, its faster on the nuderburg then m5 10+ sconds .... it handles like a true sports car. And acceleration is not everything.
i don't disagree with you. though i think M5 is more than just a car good in straight line acceleration, you have AMG for that.

though i find it to be quite funny that this comes from an E55 guy who used to bash M5 on MBworld because M5 is faster than E55 on Nurburgring, handles more like a sportscar, whereas E55 has more straight line acceleration.

#11 ·
If you are willing to do some leg work (try calling Florida dealerships for example for a spot), you can obtain a M5 sooner than a year. My experience is that many people get on a list, however some drop off, and others decide not to take delivery of a car.

Considering that both the 997 4S and upcoming 997 TT have more power, will you be content with the very nice, albeit less powerful, 997S? My buddy is fortunate enough to own and enjoy both a 996 TT Cab and E39 M5, maybe that could be your plan as well with the 997 now, and M5 later. They really are two different experiences, great ones at that.
Good luck in your choices.
Cheers,
Kevmmm

#12 ·
Tomaso said:
Indeed, Gustav. Here's a link to an interesting encounter between the two cars in South Africa:

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=130792&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

Mike, the driver of the 997S, owns a vast exotic stable. Thus, he doesn't hold back on his comments regarding the Porsche's performance in comparisson to the BMW. Interesting read imo.

Regards to all!
Nice quotes from the 997 boys:

“Sad day when BMW makes a better "sports" car than Porsche. I guess we can sigh in relief that Porsche now makes a better SUV than BMW.”

“price wise they're very similar, but i was talking about in terms of power, i got it handed to me by a family car”

#13 ·
Just happened to notice this thread. As it is I very recently parted with my 2000 E39 M5. I am taking delivery early October on my E60 M5. And since February I have been driving a 997 S Coupe 6spd. I originally had planned to sell the Porsche as soon as I get the E60. But, with two other BMWs in my garage, I have only driven the 997, by choice, every day, for every occasion, since getting it. I like the comment above that refers to the Porsche as "connected". The 997 S Coupe is like my E39 was - dual personality. Leave the PASM in normal mode and I have a very smooth around town two seat scoot rocket. Press SPORT, and occassionally even turn OFF the PSM, and smile..... Awesome.

True power/weight ratio of 997S C and E60, each with one person is virtually identical; but the Porsche can really hook up easily, given its rear weight bias. I suspect the E60 won't be a slouch on launch either, but I can definitely get consistent low 4s (to 60 mph) on street tires in the 997S. Have to wait a few more weeks on the M5...

Now I am thinking that the car to get sold at end of October might be the X5 4.6is. So do I get snow wheels/tires for the 997 or the E60?

From first hand experience, you can not make a bad choice between these two. Good luck.

#14 ·
noel said:
Now I am thinking that the car to get sold at end of October might be the X5 4.6is. So do I get snow wheels/tires for the 997 or the E60?

From first hand experience, you can not make a bad choice between these two. Good luck.
the answer might sound odd. but i think 997 will be a much better winter car than the M5 given its rear weight bias. so if 997 is practical enough for you to drive daily, get snow tires for 997.
:)

a friend of mine actually have similar car line up as yours. though both are one generation older (996/E39 M5), and he drives 996 C2 with snow tires in winter.

#15 ·
Kevmmm said:
If you are willing to do some leg work (try calling Florida dealerships for example for a spot), you can obtain a M5 sooner than a year. My experience is that many people get on a list, however some drop off, and others decide not to take delivery of a car.

Considering that both the 997 4S and upcoming 997 TT have more power, will you be content with the very nice, albeit less powerful, 997S? My buddy is fortunate enough to own and enjoy both a 996 TT Cab and E39 M5, maybe that could be your plan as well with the 997 now, and M5 later. They really are two different experiences, great ones at that.
Good luck in your choices.
Cheers,
Kevmmm
Just a couple minor disagreements. First I'll bet you can't get an M5 at MSRP before August of next year if you're not already on a list. I'm not sure how you can make the statement that you can. Second, the 997 4S has the same engine as the 997S, and is actually a bit slower (heavier).

I do agree the optimum solution is to have both the M5 and the 997S. Although, with what I've been reading about the Cayman S - it's a better handling car than the 997 S! I'll just stick with the M5 for now, and if I still need a 'sports car' fix, then I'll look at what Porsche has to offer.

#16 ·
Wolverine said:
Just a couple minor disagreements. First I'll bet you can't get an M5 at MSRP before August of next year if you're not already on a list. I'm not sure how you can make the statement that you can. Second, the 997 4S has the same engine as the 997S, and is actually a bit slower (heavier).

I do agree the optimum solution is to have both the M5 and the 997S. Although, with what I've been reading about the Cayman S - it's a better handling car than the 997 S! I'll just stick with the M5 for now, and if I still need a 'sports car' fix, then I'll look at what Porsche has to offer.
Well, Wolverine, I disagree, because I found many E39 M5 when they were out during the first year for MSRP. Not the first day they were out, but later in the year.

Secondly, I sugguested both the 997 4s and 997 TT because both are future hot cars which are 4-wheel drive (needed for snow). In addition magazines articles claim identical 0-60 times for both the 997S and 4s models.
FYI

:M5thumbs:

#17 ·
it really depends on what car you need,or desire...Ive got an m6 on order ,but having had the 997s for several months ,I can tell you it will be a hard car for me to sell...it is incredible,and whilst the M5 will obliterate it in a straight line,the Porsche will provide more fun on the twists.
But then the m5 is just so awesome....such a tough call...just be glad you can afford the choice.I don't think you would be dissapointed with either car.

#18 ·
Douge said:

Since you already have the 7 series, I take the M6 instead. :thumbsup:

Good luck :haha:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.