BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I'm curious as to what resources you prefer, or would recommend me, if I'm interested in researching a 993 Turbo.

If I found a used example, I'd like to know what to look for in examining it. Any websites in particular that would be of help?

Much thanks.
-Matthew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,469 Posts
MT JTN said:
Hi all.

I'm curious as to what resources you prefer, or would recommend me, if I'm interested in researching a 993 Turbo.

If I found a used example, I'd like to know what to look for in examining it. Any websites in particular that would be of help?

Much thanks.
-Matthew
Mathew,

Here are a few that's I liked.

http://www.flat-6.net/forum/showcar.php?do=overview&car_model_id=163

http://forums.rennlist.com/

Rennlist is an incredible site on par with our M5 board. The members there are knowledgeable and helpful. Hope these help a little. Good luck hunting for your 993tt. It is an incredible car. I like it a lot more than the 996tt.

While I own a RUF BTR and not a regular 993tt, I'd be happy to help you get your answers.

CP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Pong. :)

I'll let you know what I dig up.

-Matthew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,340 Posts
Gustav said:
That Porsche looks very good!

M5 E60 is faster than the 993 Turbo with S engine package.
Yes, but E60 M5 is slower than 993 Turbo with Ruf Turbo R package. :byebye:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,469 Posts
Gustav said:
That Porsche looks very good!

M5 E60 is faster than the 993 Turbo with S engine package.
Gustav,

I know you drove the E60 M5 yourself, but some numbers don't look right. The E60 goes from 0-60 MPH in about 4.6 seconds, while the 993tt is about 4 seconds (some mags quote 3.9).

The E60 M5 has 368 Ft-lb torque while the the 993tt is well over 400. Yes the E60 has 500 HP, but that's peak HP at some 7,600 RPM, and the torque curve is not the big fat one that is in the tt.

I know my view-point is purely 'bench-racing' so I could be dead wrong, but somehow, I think the SMG and the gearings can only do so much for acceleration, sooner or later, HP and torque rules. I can see the M5 faster than the 993tt within a certain MPH range, say between 80-140 MPH. But from standstill through top speed (say 185 MPH or so), I don't know if the E60 will outrun the tt.

Not that it matters, as in the States, we're talking jail time once we approach 100 MPH. And now with the local cities/counties needing $$$$, the cops are writing tickets on everything. They'd just love to snag us in a new M5 at 100 MPH or more.

Well, bench racing is fun too. I do agree with Tyson though, the E60 M5 can't touch RUF cars, even though it's just a humble BTR. :) RUF's horses are pretty well fed.

CP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49,475 Posts
Yup. We did a rolling start from 50 km/h. 993 does not have good aerodynamics + 4D takes power. Added the M5 7 gears and the outcome is what it was. But I wont talk too much about this until we released the videos.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
chunpng said:
Gustav,

I know you drove the E60 M5 yourself, but some numbers don't look right. The E60 goes from 0-60 MPH in about 4.6 seconds, while the 993tt is about 4 seconds (some mags quote 3.9).

The E60 M5 has 368 Ft-lb torque while the the 993tt is well over 400. Yes the E60 has 500 HP, but that's peak HP at some 7,600 RPM, and the torque curve is not the big fat one that is in the tt.

I know my view-point is purely 'bench-racing' so I could be dead wrong, but somehow, I think the SMG and the gearings can only do so much for acceleration, sooner or later, HP and torque rules. I can see the M5 faster than the 993tt within a certain MPH range, say between 80-140 MPH. But from standstill through top speed (say 185 MPH or so), I don't know if the E60 will outrun the tt.

Not that it matters, as in the States, we're talking jail time once we approach 100 MPH. And now with the local cities/counties needing $$$$, the cops are writing tickets on everything. They'd just love to snag us in a new M5 at 100 MPH or more.

Well, bench racing is fun too. I do agree with Tyson though, the E60 M5 can't touch RUF cars, even though it's just a humble BTR. :) RUF's horses are pretty well fed.

CP
don't forget the 7 gears of the m5 are much shorter than the 6gears of the turbo. also the time for shifting is with less then 0.1s much lower than a human is able to perform it with a manual trans. imagine you need 0.25s for shifting and you have 3 or more times to shift... that is a lot time the m5 driver saves compared to a normal manual trans. also the aerodynamic is better for the m5 which is very important at higher speeds (above 100mph).

anyway a 911 turbo is agreat car and i would love to drive a car like your ruf turbo one time but both cars are simply not comparable. and don't forget, the m5 was/is developed in the 21st century, while the development of the 993 startet in the late 80s... so it is really impressive how such an (sorry) "old" car is able to perform... i love porsche and especially rufs :1:


have a nice day :byebye:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,340 Posts
While we are on the subject, I prefer my GT2 over an M5 any day, and I doubt E60 M5's will be giving me much trouble.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,230 Posts
Hamann7 said:
While we are on the subject, I prefer my GT2 over an M5 any day, and I doubt E60 M5's will be giving me much trouble.
probably not ;) I think thé GT2 can outrun just about any BMW.. and if you have trouble, just chip it. :haha:

the 993TT is anyways a great car... sure its old, but its a classic and an one of the most beautiful cars around..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,176 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top