BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting to wonder if mine is a 94 or 95 model. Is there any easy way to determine that for sure, looking at the chassisnumber or something else ?

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
95 M5 said:
I am starting to wonder if mine is a 94 or 95 model. Is there any easy way to determine that for sure, looking at the chassisnumber or something else ?
Do you mean date of manufacture, or date of registration?

There's no difference between the later 1994 cars and the 1995 (non-LE) cars though. They all changed to 6-speed, big-brakes after June 1994 anyway.

You can always go on to http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do put your GE00xxx number in and at the bottom it should give you some details of your car including the build month - mine says You Have Selected: P E34 Lim M5 3.8 S38 ECE 19940700 R M which means E34 limousine M5, 3.8 S38, (ECE) European model, build July 1994, right hand drive manual.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has a 6 speed box but has only 17" wheels of the old type. It is registred late in january 95. Did some of the early 95´s come with 17 " ?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The build date of the car should be printed on one of the badge plates in the engine bay - mine was Apr. 1995. The E46 I have now also has this badge - May 2001.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
95 M5 said:
It has a 6 speed box but has only 17" wheels of the old type. It is registred late in january 95. Did some of the early 95´s come with 17 " ?
Unless they were the winter wheels option, I think all 6 speeds came with the 18" wheels as standard. As Mmm FIve states there should be no difference in spec from June 1994 onwards, even the special editions such as the UK LE cars were the same spec mechanically i.e. 18" wheels, 6 speed gearbox and 343mm Floating calipers.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did the search and this is what came up.
P E 34 LIM M5 3.8 S38 JAP 19941100 L M
PROD CODE: HC91, LINE ID 47388

So from what I understand this one is made in NOV 94, but why it came up with jap (Japan = right hand drive) I do not get ?????

So would this one had 18" wheels when it came out of the factory in Nov 94 as a 95 model ?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
95 M5 said:
So from what I understand this one is made in NOV 94, but why it came up with jap (Japan = right hand drive) I do not get ?????
As for JAP part of your code there was a market for left hand drive cars in Japan as they carried more prestige than right hand drive and showed that you had an imported car and thus more expensive.

95 M5 said:
So would this one had 18" wheels when it came out of the factory in Nov 94 as a 95 model ?
Would think so!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So are the 18"ers possible to get hold of new today, or only used (if possible), and what would the approx price be for both options ?

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
95 M5 said:
So are the 18"ers possible to get hold of new today, or only used (if possible), and what would the approx price be for both options ?
New ones are about £320 for the 8jx18 and £350 for the 9jx18. Used ones go for between £500-£800 on ebay (including tyres).

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
95 [email protected]
Hallo there in Norway,
your car is very likely a 95-modell car but build in the second half of 1994,
does it have a wide-kidney-front (V8-front) ??? -
anyway it is the VIN that will tell the production-date and thereby the
year-model, 18"-M-paralles are available BUT expensive and very much looked for -
(you can send me a private msg with your VIN, the last 7 digits if you want,
I can then check production date for you, date not month)
brgds
Karl
-

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
M5touring reg said:
95 [email protected]
Hallo there in Norway,
your car is very likely a 95-modell car but build in the second half of 1994,
does it have a wide-kidney-front (V8-front) ??? - YES it has, so I am pretty sure it is a early 95 (11/94), but for some reason it has lost the 18" along its way ! I probably have to live with 17", but they are also very nice !

anyway it is the VIN that will tell the production-date and thereby the
year-model, 18"-M-paralles are available BUT expensive and very much looked for -
(you can send me a private msg with your VIN, the last 7 digits if you want,
I can then check production date for you, date not month)
brgds
Karl
-

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
One quick question 95 M5 , as my car was produced around the same time and has the !8" wheels, do you have the larger brakes still fitted which was part of the 94 - 95 6peed spec?

That may be worth checking. It should have as this was also part of the spec but if someone has removed the 18" I hope they have not removed the brakes as well!

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Simonal said:
One quick question 95 M5 , as my car was produced around the same time and has the !8" wheels, do you have the larger brakes still fitted which was part of the 94 - 95 6peed spec?

That may be worth checking. It should have as this was also part of the spec but if someone has removed the 18" I hope they have not removed the brakes as well!
The 17" set was the winterwheel setup for the big-brake cars, so it's not uncommon for them to be sold with these.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Stevie said:
The 17" set was the winterwheel setup for the big-brake cars, so it's not uncommon for them to be sold with these.
Yes I thought they were the winter wheels but I was just checking that some rather unscrupulous seller had not accquired the brakes and the wheel and replaced them with what he could find!

Is n't it a bit wrong to sell the car on 17" wheels while keeping the 18"s.......strikes me as a little dishonest. As they should be providing both sets.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts