BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE: THIS CAR HAS BEEN SOLD. THANKS TO ALL WHO HELPED GUIDE ME, AND CONGRATULATIONS TO THE NEW OWNER.

----Original post----
Hi all. Hope you all are doing well.

Last time I wrote some years ago, I was just getting back my 94 M5 and hoping to do it over. Well, finances got the best of me, and I never really made any progress. I'm hoping to send this vehicle to a good home, but I'm not sure of what to even ask for it. I certainly want to be fair to whoever will be the next owner, so I'm hoping to maybe get some advice here.

I am going to snap some photos, but the short of it is this:

• Car was originally grey marketed from Poland back in the late 90s/early 2000s. I bought the car from the Polish gentleman who brought it over here to the US (who I believe was the original owner).
  • Diamondschwartz metalic exterior on black buffalo leather interior.
  • Custom audio system.
  • Threw a rod through the block in the late 2000s. Car is not driveable.
  • Throwing star wheels
  • Five speed original transmission
  • Approximately 100,000 miles on the clock (although I haven't been able to verify in a while)
Any guidance would definitely be appreciated. I've just come to face facts that this is a project I am never going to go to.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More pics are available upon request. Didn't want to overload you all. It probably goes without mentioning, but just to clarify, this is/was indeed the S38B38 (3.8 L) engine.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Hi.
For car identification, equipment spec, etc. the last 7 digits of
the VIN would help.
-
Somehow difficult to give you advice and/or estimates based
on the info.Perhaps it would help you to do some reading
here to give you an idea on the demand and value estimates.
You will find parts, running project cars, garage
queens and more....hopefully useful for the info that you are
looking for ?
-
-
cheers

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Karl! I did look through a bit, but mostly only saw cars in great shape. I'll spend some more time looking now. I know that it will take a good amount of work to get this baby going again, so I want to be fair to whomever will be doing it.

For reference, the last 7 of the VIN are as follows: GD64269

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PS: do you think BaT is a better place for me to eventually offer this thing instead of using the For Sale forum here? All the ones on BaT seem very pretty :)

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
BaT is one choice and you can place a reserve.
All are very pretty ?
well, this one f.ex. and comparising I would say is not,
although it runs....
-
GD64269

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I actually saw that one. I guess I am taking into account mine not having run in 10 years :) But this does give me a lot to go on. I've been clicking through that graph that shows the sales over the past few years and checking out the lower posted ones. It's a big help.

And thanks for the VIN decoder!

·
Registered
789 Posts
Have you already priced a new long block for the engine? I see some cosmetic stuff (trim, some scrapes)... what else does it need?

·
10,455 Posts
I'd pm member CaneDVM he's in texas and has several cars and a good selection of parts. He might be able to give you some idea on costs to get a good 3.8 into the US.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Just idle curiosity on my part. I don't have the time or space for that big of a project, but it'll be a beauty when it's done!

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Let’s us know where you located and final car price. If the engine is fixable it will be between 5-7k for a rebuild. This can give you an idea for what to ask for compared to mint condition cars that run and drive.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have you already priced a new long block for the engine? I see some cosmetic stuff (trim, some scrapes)... what else does it need?
I was never really able to price one out. Besides the engine, I'm sure it just needs all the things a car might need that has sat for over ten years. Battery, tires, of course... but who knows what else has deteriorated. I am happy to take a video or send more pictures to anyone who is interested. I just really want it to go to someone good.

As I recall from the last time I was driving, the trans was getting a little notchy between 2 and 3, but my memory is extremely fuzzy at this point.

I'm not really mechanically inclined, and I am just not going to have the financial resources...probably ever...to bring this car back to life in the way it is intended.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Let’s us know where you located and final car price. If the engine is fixable it will be between 5-7k for a rebuild. This can give you an idea for what to ask for compared to mint condition cars that run and drive.
Thanks, this is most helpful.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Rod through the block - as in the block is actually windowed? If so, sourcing a B38 block is not the easiest proposition. Then the questions of what other damage occurred to the rotating assembly come to mind - is the head okay, etc.? B38 cranks are NLA from BMW and difficult to source used as well, particularly in the states. A B38 rebuild at any of the bigger name shops will start with a quote of $10k and go up from there depending on what all is done and what parts need to be sourced.

Is there any rust? If the car came in the early 2000s it had to have been federalized. We can see the US speedo in the photo - is the odometer in miles or km? If in miles, verifying that it has 100k is going to be tough. Does it still have the EDC shocks?

These types of cars are difficult to value. A nice clean example of a B38 sedan that doesn't need a ton of work could bring $30k USD. Depending on what all needs to be done to bring this car to that type of level, you could be into it for well over 30k. So you'd need to find someone that wants a project and has the ability to fund it. They're out there, but not growing on trees. Sadly these cars, while on the upswing, still don't hold a -ton- of value.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Last time I wrote some years ago, I was just getting back my 94 M5 and hoping to do it over. Well, finances got the best of me, and I never really made any progress. I'm hoping to send this vehicle to a good home, but I'm not sure of what to even ask for it. I certainly want to be fair to whoever will be the next owner, so I'm hoping to maybe get some advice here.

• Car was originally grey marketed from Poland back in the late 90s/early 2000s. I bought the car from the Polish gentleman who brought it over here to the US (who I believe was the original owner).
  • Custom audio system.
  • Throwing star wheels
  • Approximately 100,000 miles on the clock (although I haven't been able to verify in a while)
Any guidance would definitely be appreciated. I've just come to face facts that this is a project I am never going to go to.

• Custom audio system.
  • Throwing star wheels
I do have the same car and needs some parts or complete second hand engine to repair

1 - 20 of 21 Posts