BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok my problem is this. Drunk driver totaled my M5. (see photos) So I'm car shopping.

My choice so far are:

02 911 turbo w/ 12k miles lapis blue/ black/ wood grain $88k
04 AMG E55 w/ 8.5k mile black/black decked to the max (black 20's, DVD, etc...) $84k
03 M5 w/ 20k white/black aluminum trim $59k

or

just wait

I never thought I'd say this but...money is not an issue.

I'm leaning towards the porsche for all out performance, but the e55 has performance and luxury to spare. The M well, you guys know why I loved it.

So, just curious about your opinions...

·
Registered
291 Posts
El_Chingon said:
Ok my problem is this. Drunk driver totaled my M5. (see photos) So I'm car shopping.

My choice so far are:

02 911 turbo w/ 12k miles lapis blue/ black/ wood grain $88k
04 AMG E55 w/ 8.5k mile black/black decked to the max (black 20's, DVD, etc...) $84k
03 M5 w/ 20k white/black aluminum trim $59k

or

just wait

I never thought I'd say this but...money is not an issue.

I'm leaning towards the porsche for all out performance, but the e55 has performance and luxury to spare. The M well, you guys know why I loved it.

So, just curious about your opinions...
Sorry to hear about your M but I guess you have some grat choices for your next car. I would personally get the 911 Turbo. Of course it depends on your needs such true rear seats, luxury, performance. I would get the M second. The E55 are nice but they are not as fun to drive as the others. IMO anyone can step on a gas pedal and watch the car go (refering to the E55). The 911 turbo will be my next ride but I am not selling my M.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would go for 911 tt. I just sold 2002 911 to make a room for M6. But if the price keeps going up, I may be looking for a 911 tt myself.

M5MAX

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't get picture to work.
However they were posted on this thread earlier

- Re: Anyone here interested in a 911?

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
If you track, then the 996tt will be your best bet. If not then all 3 cars are great cars. Since you already knew what the M5 can do, I'd go with the 996tt. It is one of the few cars that will out-perform an M5, straight runs or turns. The E55 takes the M5 in the straights but not in corners.

Good luck. You can't go wrong with any of these cars.

CP

·
Registered
99 Posts
Porsche
I like it. had a test drice for a simple 911- anyway was impressed.
the turbo is much more better then simple 911.
but I need for passangers to carry, that is why I choose M5.
and I'm happy! :)

·
Registered
992 Posts
If money is no object, you can buy my M5! Just kidding!

Seriously, I am considering selling my M5 (2003 - Silver Grey/Black 23k miles) - see pics in my profile. PM me if interested.

I am ordering the E60 this week.

·
Registered
837 Posts
All three of the cars you listed are all cars I would like to own, well I already have the M5 but I would like to have the other two as well, I wish money was not a problem for me:) , Josh

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I would go for the 996tt as well. It hsa power to spare, is easily upgradable, and should be able to hold its own against the newer cars coming out. The interior is well thought out and has a lot of room for things in such a small car. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I have driven the M5 (which I own), the E55, and the 996 TT (and I own a non-turbo 996).

Of the three, I think the M5 is best all around car. It's comfortable, easy to drive, but sporty when you need it to be. Best transmission of the three by far.

The TT is awesome, but demands all of your attention all of the time - forget drinking coffee or talking on a hand held cell phone. You can get away with being in a gear too high or too low in the M5, but never in a Porsche. You will also notice that everything in the 996 is made light, so the car lacks the big solid feeling of the M5 or E55. But hey, it's a sports car, so it's supposed to be light and demanding.

The E55 is comfortable and powerful, but the automatic shifts pretty soft, though maybe that could be fixed with a chip. With all that torque, the 1st/2nd shift in the E55 ought to be neck snapping, but it isn't.

Party on, great choices.

Steve
00 M5
99 996

·
Registered
36 Posts
Code:
The TT is awesome, but demands all of your attention all of the time - forget drinking coffee or talking on a hand held cell phone. You can get away with being in a gear too high or too low in the M5, but never in a Porsche. You will also notice that everything in the 996 is made light, so the car lacks the big solid feeling of the M5 or E55. But hey, it's a sports car, so it's supposed to be light and demanding.
Hehe funny how perspectives differ - when I drove a 2003 911 TT I thought it was the least demanding, most comfortable, most tractable Porsche I've ever been in :) It doesn't have the space of an M5, but hit the go pedal and hoo boy.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I rented the E55 the last time I was in Los Angeles and I have to tell you that the acceleration is addictive! That thing just plain bolted off the line or in any gear that you decided to hammer. The numbers speak for themselves. I've actually considered a newer one as a city car. No question the ride isn't sporty and you're not as connected with the road...but killing just about everything out there from a stop light with no work involved was pretty fun.

TT is a hoot, I just don't like not being able to throw the back end around (trailing throttle oversteer nonwithstanding in the older ones), if you knew your limits it was a blast!

Drop the coin and get the SL65 and all other cars will pale in comparison. Or just get the new M5 and remain loyal to the marque!

·
Registered
345 Posts
If i were you i would look intoa z8 alpina, fast and beautiful

·
10,456 Posts
it's surprising (and nice, really) to see that you're not getting overwhelmed with "M5" responses, this being an M5 board.

If you need 4 passenger capacity, really putting people in the back, I'd do what we have all done, and get the M5.
The 996, while it has rear seats, are not really that usable. I was looking at 997's yesterday (actually went to look at a GT3, my wife is right, i'm crazy) and could fit my kids in the back for the ride to school, for now, but it would be a bit of a pain. Not enough to give up the M5, and if it were a supplement to the M5, now we're talking. The e55, an amazing car, beautiful, fast. As quick as i get bored with cars, i don't think it'd satisfy me for too long.

if money is no object, get both! That's the ultimate solution!
Mike

·
Registered
81 Posts
I like the name you've chosen, reminds me of a friend who called himself "the ma-chinegun".

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
If money is not an issue and you don't need the room, 911T in a heartbeat. That's on my short list of favorite cars.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Try the Porsche 997 Carrera S. It is far superior to a 996 Turbo. I have driven both. I think I am going to order a 997 4S Coupe to replace my M5.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
If money is not an issue, then buy the 996tt and when it's time to buy the new smg M5, you'll have the best of both worlds.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts